• Tue. Apr 23rd, 2024

PA-Roots

…bringing our past into the future

Boroughs & Towns, Somerset County

  • Home
  • Somerfield, Somerset County

Somerfield, Somerset County

Somerfield borough was laid out by Philip D. Smyth, in 1818, as the town of Smythfield. It was situated where the National road crossed the Youghiogheny river and was laid…

Shanksville, Somerset County

Shanksville, founded in 1798, was named for its founder, Christian Shank, who erected the first house within the limits of the village. Previously he had erected two saw mills here…

Sand Patch, Somerset County

Sand Patch is a small railroad station on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad in the southwestern part of the township. It was built upon land formerly owned by Ananias Heffley.…

Salisbury, Somerset County

The town of Salisbury was laid out by Joseph Markley in 1794. Douglas Baker was the surveyor. The first house was built by Peter Shirer and Martin Weimer. About 1814,…

Rockwood, Somerset County

Rockwood, situated at the junction of the Baltimore & Ohio and the Somerset & Cambria railroads, was laid out by Philip Wolfersberger in 1857. The first house was built in…

Pocahontas, Somerset County

Located near the central part, Pocahontas is the only village in Greenville township. It was laid out in 1845 by Daniel Yutzy with the help of surveyor, Samuel M. Heller.…

Petersburg, Somerset County

Petersburg (Addison postoffice) is a small village, situated on the west side of Winding Ridge, at an elevation of twenty-one hundred or twenty-two hundred feet above sea-level. It was laid…

Paint, Somerset County

This place was named after the township of the same name. The town was formerly known as Scalp Level. It was founded by Jacob Eash. Scalp Level was located partly…

New Lexington, Somerset County

This village was laid out on September 14, 1824, in the southeastern part of the township on the land of David and Magdalena Tedrow. In 1884, the population consisted of…

New Centreville, Somerset County

New Centreville, a town of 250 to 300 inhabitants, is situated in the western part of Milford township. It was laid out in 1834 by Michael Freeze, who gave it…