• Fri. Feb 23rd, 2024

PA-Roots

…bringing our past into the future

History, Somerset County

  • Home
  • Somerset — 150 Years a County – part 1

Somerset — 150 Years a County – part 1

Somerset — 150 Years a County[written by Paul D. Trimpey] Had you been living in the village of Brunerstown (later named Somerset) on the twelfth of September, 1795, you would…

ADVENTURES OF THE EARLY SETTLERS

ADVENTURES OF THE EARLY SETTLERS. Early Somerset County had its share of those daring frontiersmen whose deeds are so easily woven into adventure stories. A man of this type was…

SOMERSET AND THE WHISKEY REBELLION

 One is surprised to note the prominent part played by whiskey in pioneer days, in Somerset as elsewhere. Present-day devotees of the flowing bowl and rugged distillers of illicit “mountain…

Somerset — 150 Years a County (contd.)

Somehow the territory which later became Somerset County escaped much damage. Possibly this was due to the protection of Westmoreland on the west and the natural barriers of two mountain…

Article of Agreement – Ulrich Bruner to Adam Schneider

Articles of agreement made this 24th day of September, In the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty-seven, between Woolrick Bruner, of Milford township, in Bedford County…

Railroads – 1883

RAILROADSThe southern half of Somerset county is already liberally supplied with railroad facilities. The Pittsburgh division of the Baltimore & Ohio railroad (formerly Pittsburgh & Connellsville railroad) traverses the county…

1808 Fourth of July

The year 1808 witnessed a memorable Fourth-of-July celebration in Somerset, an account of which was written at Somerset, July 9, 1808, and published a few days later in the Bedford…

The Great Fire of May 9, 1872

The following is condensed from an account published immediately after the fire in the Cumberland Daily News:It is pretty well settled that the fire originated from sparks that flew from…

A Picture of Pioneer Life – Somerset County

THE pioneers, arriving at their places of destination after long and tedious journeying over Indian trails or roads rudely improved, as a rule, brought very little with them with which…

Edgewood Farm

The farm now known as the “Edgewood Farm” was entered by Peter Amhay, in 1773, who erected the first house on the property. His death occurred in December, 1804. The…