• Wed. Jul 17th, 2024

PA-Roots

…bringing our past into the future

Churches, Somerset County

  • Home
  • Somerset Circuit of the Evangelical Association

Somerset Circuit of the Evangelical Association

The following five churches and congregations constitute what is called “Somerset Circuit of the Evangelical Association of North America,” Rev. D. K. Lavan, pastor in charge, Rev. L. M. Boyer,…

Emanuel Church

Emanuel Church, situated three and one-half miles north of Somerset borough, was organized in 1815 by Revs. A. Hennig and M. Walter. Among its original members were the families of…

Rockwood Churches

The first church in Rockwood was built by the Evangelical Association in 1871. The building is a frame, and cost sixteen hundred dollars. In building it, the society were assisted…

Milford Township Churches

<center><strong>HISTORY OF THE TOWNSHIP</strong></center>Milford, the fourth township of what is now Somerset County was formed out of a part of Turkeyfoot township around 1780 and probably contained several settlers during…

Middlecreek Church of the Brethren

Middle Creek church of the Brethren or German Baptists was organized in 1849, with one hundred members. The district now has three hundred and twenty members and seven meeting-houses. The…

New Centerville Churches

The first church in New Centreville was erected about 1813, by the Lutherans and the Presbyterians. It was a log building, erected under the superintendence of John Carbaugh. The building…

Kingwood Churches

The first church in Kingwood was the Evangelical Lutheran, built in 1852, at a cost of about five hundred dollars. The first pastor was Rev. M.F. Pfähler. The present membership…

Wesley Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church

Wesley Chapel Methodist Episcopal church, situated in the northern part of the township, was erected in 1863, at a cost of one thousand dollars.The first ministers were Revs. Wilkinson and…

Paddytown Methodist Episcopal Church

The first church in Upper Turkey-Foot was a log building, erected by the Methodists, at Paddytown, in 1816. Rev. Jacob Gruber held the first quarterly meeting and preached the first…

Middlecreek Evangelical Lutheran Church

Middle Creek Evangelical Lutheran church was organized by Rev. William Uhl in 1850. Prior to the organization there had been preaching in the Putman schoolhouse for five or six years.…