• Sat. Apr 20th, 2024

PA-Roots

…bringing our past into the future

Wittenburg, Somerset County

Byadmin

Mar 28, 2015

Wittenburg is a small town in the central part of the township. It was built on land that Jonathan Leasure had purchased from John Witt for whom the town was named.

John Fichner opened the first store, which was also the first store in Larimer township, at Wittenburg in 1852. He was also its first postmaster and first hotelkeeper. He was succeeded in the mercantile business by Joseph Lepley. Lepley was succeeded by Harmon Johnson.

Harman Johnson, a native of Berlin, Somerset county, came to Wittenburg in 1867 and is still in business. Mr. Johnson has been postmaster since 1868 and in 1875, he was elected justice of the peace and relected in 1880. He is also treasurer and tax collector of Larimer township. He served as drummer in Co. F., 142d regt. Penn. Vols. for nearly three years.

About Author

By admin

Leave a Reply