• Sat. Apr 20th, 2024

PA-Roots

…bringing our past into the future

West Salisbury, Somerset County

Byadmin

Mar 28, 2015

West Salisbury, in the southeastern part of the township, was laid out on the David Livengood farm by the Salisbury & Baltimore Railroad Company in 1871.

A number of lots were sold, but little building was done until after 1877. A steam gristmill was built about 1870, on the river bank near the bridge. After being operated, perhaps a dozen years, it burned down and was never rebuilt. Since the completion of the railroad, the town has grown into a village of about 75 houses. The business part of the village has always been up about the bridge, where the hotel, stores and other business houses were built. The first hotel was built by Thomas Williams; it was burned, and was rebuilt by John R. Fair.

West Salisbury’s post office was established in 1904 with Joseph Patton as its first postmaster.

About Author

By admin

Leave a Reply