• Mon. Apr 15th, 2024


…bringing our past into the future

Businessmen of Meyersdale – 1884


Sep 14, 2015

Samuel Foust was born in Berlin, Somerset county. He learned the tanner’s trade. He has been engaged in the manufacture and sale of boots and shoes in this town since 1851.

C.P. Heffley began the business of a merchant tailor in 1875. In 1879 William Heffley, his brother, entered upon the same occupation in this town and is now doing a thriving business. Mr. Heffley is a native of Berlin.

G.D. Lichty was born in Elk Lick township, and reared on a farm. In 1868 he came to Meyersdale, where he has been engaged in mercantile business, the manufacture of lumber and dealing in agricultural implements. He is at present in the employ of the United States internal revenue service. E.M. Lichty, brother of G.D., resides in Meyersdale and carries on an extensive business in the manufacture and shipment of lumber.

H.J. Blough, a native of Conemaugh township, settled in Meyersdale in 1870. Mr. Blough is a mechanic by trade, but since locating in this place, has been principally engaged in the lumber business. In partnership with John Hocking he owns the shook works at Meyersdale, also a steam sawmill situated three miles northeast of the town. The sawmill has a capacity of about twelve thousand feet per day. The partnership with Mr. Hocking was formed in 1882. Mr. Blough enlisted in October, 1862, in Co. K, 18th Penn. Cav. He was taken prisoner at Cedar Creek, and was three months and nine days in Libby and Andersonville prisons. He was mustered out in October, 1863. Entering the service as a private, he was promoted to second lieutenant, then to captain.

Johnson Collins was born in Allegheny county, Maryland. He followed the mercantile business at Elkhart mines, Maryland, from 1859 until 1878, when he removed to Meyersdale and was engaged in the hardware business until 1882. For four years prior to his coming he had an interest in the hardware store managed by John F. Shipley. He also had a mercantile establishment in Salisbury for seven years. Mr. Collins retired from business in 1882. He owns the block occupied by Shipley’s store.

William B. Cook is a native of Bedford county, and has been a resident of Meyersdale since 1872. For six years he followed the business of a contractor. He was then elected a justice of the peace and still serves in that capacity. Since April, 1883, he has been engaged in the insurance business.

E. Wineland, merchant, was born in Germany, and came to America in 1868, settling in Frostburg, Maryland. He followed the mercantile business in that place until his removal to Meyersdale in 1874. He purchased his present store of Emanuel Lichty in 1876. Mr. Wineland carries a large stock, and is conducting a prosperous business.

W.J. Jones, proprietor of the well-known and popular Jones House, in Meyersdale, is a native of Westmoreland county, and came to Somerset county in 1870. After engaging in the grocery and hotel business in Ursina for three years, he came to Meyersdale and established himself in his present business.

C.G. Masters was born in Everett, Bedford county. He is a graduate of the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy. For about ten years he followed the drug business in Philadelphia and Everett. In 1882 he engaged in the furniture business in Meyersdale as a member of the firm of Morrill & Masters. This firm occupy a store one hundred and thirty-two feet deep, and keep the largest stock of furniture in the county.

William Hicks, a native of Dauphin county, settled in Meyersdale in 1840, and engaged in blacksmithing and lumbering. In 1868 he removed to Westmoreland county, his present home. W.C. Hicks, son of William, is a native of Meyersdale, and has been postmaster in the town since 1871; also, carrying on the business of a dealer in books and stationery. He was the first soldier from Meyersdale that enlisted in the late war, and the third that enlisted in the county. He entered the service in April, 1861, in Co. A, 10th Penn. reserves; was wounded at the battle of Fredericksburg, December 12, 1862; mustered out in June, 1864.

Alonzo Chamberlin, coal operator, is a native of New York State. For twenty-five years he has been engaged in the coal trade in Maryland and Pennsylvania. He came to Meyersdale in 1872, and purchased sixteen hundred acres of coal land in Summit township. In 1875 the Cumberland and Elk Lick Coal Company was formed, and Mr. Chamberlin elected its vice-president, in which capacity he still serves. The company now has quite extensive cokeworks in successful operation.

Levi J. Yoder was born in this county. He learned blacksmithing with his father, and worked at his trade for sixteen years. In 1882 he entered the hardware store of G.W. Gassman as clerk, and is still engaged in that pursuit. Mr. Yoder served in the late war in Co. F, 61st regt. Penn. Vols., from September, 1864, to June, 1865.

C.B. Cook is a native of Southampton township, and was educated in the schools of Somerset county. In 1873 he entered Mount Union College, Ohio, where he completed the commercial course. He has followed teaching since he was fifteen years of age, and has been principal of normal schools at Ursina, Romney, West Virginia, Meyersdale and Salisbury. Since 1880 he has been a principal of the Meyersdale Normal School. Mr. Cook was county mercantile appraiser in 1880. He is connected with several secret orders, I.O.O.F., K. of P., F. & A.M., in which he has held prominent offices.

W.S. Mock is a native of Bedford county. He learned photography under F.H. Foltz in Bedford, and in 1883 came to Meyersdale and established business for himself. He is skilled in both painting and photography.

Dr. W.G. Burns, dentist, was born in Adams county, Ohio, and received his educational training in Geneva (Ohio) College, where he took both a scientific and a classical course. In 1861 he graduated from the Ohio Dental College, Cincinnati. In 1878 he settled in Meyersdale, where he now practices, in partnership with Dr. W.H. Stryker. This firm also has a branch office in Berlin. Dr. Stryker is a graduate of the Pennsylvania Dental College, Philadelphia. Dr. Burns served in the late war in Co. G, 63d Regt. Iowa Vol. Inf., from June, 1863, to March, 1864.

(Source: History of Bedford, Somerset & Fulton Counties, PA; 1884)

About Author

By admin

Leave a Reply