• Tue. Apr 23rd, 2024

PA-Roots

…bringing our past into the future

Trent, Somerset County

Byadmin

Mar 28, 2015

A small rural hamlet, Trent is located in the northeastern part of the township. In 1884, Jacob Miller decided to build a store that would also house a postoffice. A large two-story Victorian structure, it was also designed to be used as an inn. It was built next to the covered bridge that spanned Laurel Hill Creek, and the school was located nearby.

The village was named after U. S. Trent, an attorney from Somerset, who was a speaker at a political rally held at the bridge. The name also was applied to the school and bridge.

Miller’s store sill exists and is prensently (2005) known as the Trent House Inn and Country Store. On July 24, 1992, the building was accepted into the National Heritage Association. The schoolhouse has been converted into a home and the bridge has been replaced with a steel and concrete structure.

The entrance to Laurel Hill State Park, a year-round recreational area built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s, is located nearby.

(Source: Rockwood Area Historical & Genealogical Society)

About Author

By admin

Leave a Reply