What I Saw at Gettysburg,
1863 and 1913

Jacob Pratt (J. P.) Curry
Company E
62d Pennsylvania Volunteers

(Submitted by Beverly Morris)

Left DuBois June 28th at 6:55. Arrived at Driftwood 9 a.m. Took the train at Driftwood 9:30 by the way of Lock Haven and Williamsport, and arrived at Harrisburg at 3 o'clock, visited the capital. Then took board for the night.

Sunday, 29th    Took the train at 8 o'clock, arrived at Gettysburg at 10 o'clock and located in camp about 11:00 a. m. In the afternoon we visited the cemetery, visited the battle show of Gettysburg, returned and got supper. After supper Comrade Logan and I visited the rebel camp also part of the rebel lines. Came to camp retired for the night with family prayer led by one of the comrades.

June 30th    Up and breakfast over, we went to the Bloody Angle of High Water Mark of the battle, visiting the different monuments, and took in the Pennsylvania monument where my name is recorded along with many others of this vicinity.

After dinner we went over to Gettysburg and bought a pillow. Then went to 219 Baltimore street and saw General Syke's daughter, by request, and was very nicely entertained for half an hour by her and her husband. Then returned to camp through the cemeteries and got supper.

July 1st    Visited the "first day's" battle ground. Comrade Logan and I had our pictures taken, seated on the cannon that fired the first shot, opening the famous battle of Gettysburg. We had the pleasure of meeting Gen. A. P. Hill's daughter and husband, shaking hands with them. Her husband, a rebel officer, wore the hat that General Hill wore when he was killed. The hat was shot through. We then went to town and got our dinners. Took in the sights in town and did not get home until supper time. Spent the balance ot the evening in camp.

July 2nd    After breakfast we started for Little Round Top. Took in the field where Comrade Logan did his fighting. Then I attended reunion of my Regiment L-62 P. V.-at our monument in the wheat field.

There were seven of my company present, forty in all. There came up a heavy rain and thunder storm and we all broke for camp.

July 3rd    We received visitors from DuBois, namely Dr. Fugate and wife also Undertaker N. R. Moore, wife and son. They took two auto loads of us over the first day's battle ground and through the town of Gettysburg and into camp and took dinner with us. 

After dinner they took us to the Round Tops and around the two battle lines back to camp and stayed at night with us. Mrs. Moore took our pictures in front of our tent.

July 4th    After breakfast we went to town and bought some trinkets. Returned to camp and had ice cream and chicken for dinner. We had a show tent in camp with a child in it, with four legs and four arms and hands. After dinner a party of us visited Culp's Hill and went to the top of the observatory and then returned to camp and had supper.

July 5th    After breakfast we broke camp, went to Gettysburg station, took the cars for Harrisburg about eleven o'clock, took dinner at the "Busy Bee's" restaurant, visited the state capital, saw our flag that we fought under for three years, took supper at a restaurant, went to the station and took train at 11:30 for home, arriving a Driftwood at 4 a. m.

July 6th    Left Driftwood at 8:20 a. m. arriving at DuBois 10 o'clock a. m.

I was a member of Company E, 62 P. V. Inft. Second Brigade, First Division, Fifth Army Corps, but General Sykes had command of us at Gettysburg, our brigade consisting of  62nd Pa.. 14th New York, 9th Massachusetts, 4th Michigan, was ordered in to support General Sickles to protect his Left Flank, until he straightened the line with the Round Tops. The 62nd Pa. went into the battle with 400 men losing heavily in the Wheat field and at Devil's Den. We fell back across the Valley of Death with a loss of one hundred and seventy-five out of the four hundred.

J. P. CURRY Company E
62nd Regiment P. V. Infantry
DuBois, Pa.  

Jacob CURRY (1844-1918) and his wife, Sarah Jane BUZARD (1849-1919), lived in DuBois and are buried in Greenwood Cemetery in Sandy Township.

Source:   DuBois Morning Courier, July 14, 1913






U. S. C. T.

Direct questions or comments to pacivilwar@pa-roots.net

©  Alice J. Gayley, all rights reserved

Web Space provided by