18th Regiment

Pennsylvania Volunteers

Three-Month Unit

On the 9th of April, 1861, three days previous to the attack on Fort Sumter, Captain Peter Fritz, commanding the National Greys, a venerable organization dating back to the Revolution, in obedience to a resolution of the company, tendered its services to Governor Curtin. On the 15th the services of the First Regiment, 1st Brigade, 1st Division of the State militia, to which this company belonged, were tendered to, and accepted by the Governor, andrecruiting immediately commenced.

Officers were elected in 1858, who were commissioned for a period of five years, and upon the re-organization in April, 1861, the same officers were mustered into the service of the United States:

  • William D. Lewis, Jr., of Philadelphia, Colonel
  • Charles Wilhelm, of Philadelphia, Lieutenant Colonel
  • Alexander E. Newbold, of Philadelphia, Major
  • Thomas F. G. Cooper, Adjutant
The regiment went into camp at Washington Square, where it was drilled as light infantry. The discipline was good, and the men soon acquired a commendable degree of proficiency in military duty. They were bountifully supplied by their friends with all articles necessary for their immediate subsistance and comfort.

On the 14th of May, orders were received to move to Perryville, Maryland, where it arrived at two o'clock on the morning of the 15th, and immediately embarked on steamer for Locust Point. On its arrival it proceeded to the neighborhood of Fort M'Henry and encamped, where it remained engaged in drill and guard duty until the 22d of May, when it marched to Federal Hill, in the city of Baltimore.

The monotony of camp life was little varied during the remainder of its term of service. The line of duty was of sucha character, thut guard and military police were the chief of the services rendered.

On the 12th of June, companies B and K, under the command of Captain Peter Fritz, were detached from the regiment, and ordered to garrison the National Arsenal at Pikesville. Making a hurried march of sixteen miles,they reached the Arsenal at eleven o'clock P. M. the same day, and for three weeks were constantly employed in packing and removing to Fort M'Henry all the government property there stored. Remaining at the Arsenal until the 23d of July, they rejoined the regiment.

At the expiration of the term of service, Major General Banks, then in command at Baltimore, requested the men to re-enlist for a period of ten days. Companies B, C, D,, G, H, K, and a part of company I complied, and werere-mustered into the United States service by Captain Miller on the 24th of July.

On the 29th the regiment was relieved by the Fifth New York, and proceeded to Philadelphia, where, on the 7th of August, it was mustered out of service.

Source:   Bates, Samuel P. History of the Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-65, Harrisburg, 1868-1871.


Organized at Philadelphia and mustered in April 24, 1861.


At Washington Square, Philadelphia, Pa., till May 14.
Moved to Baltimore, Md., and duty near Fort McHenry till May 22,
and at Federal Hill till August.
(Cos. "W" and "K" at Pikesville Arsenal removing stores to Fort McHenry
June 12 to July 23.)
Companies "B," "C," "D," "E," "G," "H" and "K" and part of "I"
reenlisted for ten days at the request of General Banks.
Mustered out August 6, 1861.
Source  Dyer, Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion Compiled and Arranged from Official Records of the Federal and Confederate Armies, Reports of he Adjutant Generals of the Several States, the Army Registers, and Other Reliable Documents and Sources.Des Moines, Iowa: The Dyer Publishing Company, 1908






U. S. C. T.

Direct questions or comments to pacivilwar@pa-roots.net

©  Alice J. Gayley, all rights reserved

Web Space provided by