133rd Regiment
Pennsylvania Volunteers

This regiment was recruited under authority granted by Governor Curtin:

  • Company A in Cambria County
  • Company B in Cambria County
  • Company C in Bedford County
  • Company D in Somerset County
  • Company E in Somerset County
  • Company F in Cambria County
  • Company G in Perry County
  • Company H in Perry County
  • Company I in Perry County
  • Company K in Bedford County
The companies rendezvoused at Camp Curtin, from the 1st to the 10th of August, 1862, and on the 21st the following field officers, who had been previously elected by the line officers, were commissioned:
  • Franklin B. Speakman, Colonel
  • Abraham Kopelin, Lieutenant Colonel
  • Edward M. Schrock, Major
On the 19th, the regiment proceeded to Washington, and upon its arrival reported to General Casey, by whom it was immediately ordered forward to Arlington Heights. It was here brigaded with the One Hundred and Twenty-third, One Hundred andThirty-first, and One Hundred and Thirty-fourth Pennsylvania regiments,Colonel WAabach, of the One Hundred and Thirty-first, in command.

On the 27th the regiment was ordered to Alexandria, where it remained in camp untilthe 30th, and was then moved out towards the front as far as Fort Ward, thesecond battle of Bull Run being at this time in full progress. For two weeksit was employed in picket duty, and in throwing up intrenchments.

On the12th of September it moved to Washington with the brigade, which had beenstrengthened by the addition of the One Hundred and Fifty-fifth Pennsylvania.While on the march, the brigade was attached to Humphreys' Division, of theFifth Corps. At Washington the arms originally received were exchangedfor Springfield muskets, heavy camp equipage was turned over to be stored,company tents were exchanged for light shelter tents, and sixty rounds ofammunition per man were received.


On Sunday morning, the 14th, the regiment took up the line of march, to meet, in Maryland, a defiant enemy threatening the border counties of Pennsylvania, where were the homes of the men of this command. At Monocacy the brigade was halted, and remained a day, when the march was resumed and continued until it arrived, on the morning of the 18th, on the battle-field of Antietam. It was immediately formed inline, and awaited a renewal of the battle.

On the following morning, the enemy having retired without attempting to seriously contest the ground further, the regiment moved forward over the field, covered with the dead and wounded of both armies, and finally settled down in camp, a mile out of Sharpsburg, on the Shepherdstown Road, where it remained engaged in company and battalion drill, until the movement of the army, near the close of October, into Virginia, and the inauguration of the Fredericksburg campaign under Burnside. For nearly a month preceding the battle, the regiment was in camp near Falmouth, constantly engaged in drill and in preparations for a decisive battle.

Battle of Fredericksburg

"Between two and three o'clock P. M., on Saturday, the 13th of December,"says Colonel Speakman, in his official report, "the regiment, in common withthe other regiments of the brigade, was ordered to cross the river. This wassuccessfully done, although the shells from the enemy's batteries were fallinglhick and fast, and exploding over us. I advanced my regiment as directed,through Fredericksburg, crossed the canal, or race, just outside of the city, andfiling to the left, formed line of battle under cover of a small hill. The regiment was placed on the right, and in the advance, the fourth battalion, ColonelAllen, being on our left. Knapsacks were unslung, bayonets fixed, and ordersreceived to charge the works on Marye's Heights. We charged up and overthe hill, about two hundred and fifty yards, when we came upon a line oftroops, lying down. My men, not knowing that they were to pass over thisline, covered themselves as well as they could in the rear of this line. Thetroops in front, neither advancing nor retreating, and a second charge beingordered, I passed over the prostrate troops, charged to the right of; and pastthe Brick House, and to within about fifty yards of the stone-wall, and to theleft of the house, to the crest of the hill. These positions were held for anhour, under a most terrific fire from the enemy's infantry and artillery, anduntil dusk, when I was ordered by General lumphreys to withdraw, which Idid, and re-formed line of battle on the right of the road, and a little in rearof where our original line for the charge had been formed. Here we remainedfor a time, only sending out squads to scour the fields and bring off our killedand wounded. At three o'elock A. M., on Sunday morning, the 14th, the regiment was marched into the city, and near to the river, where we were furnishedwith a fresh supply of ammunition, and again ordered on the field. We wereposted under cover of a small hill, though still exposed to the enemy's fire. At seven in the evening we were ordered into Fredericksburg, where we remained until Tuesday morning, when we re-crossed the Rappahannock, andreturned to camp.

"The loss in the regiment is three commissioned officerskilled, and eight wounded; seventeen enlisted men killed, one hundred andtwenty-nine wounded, and twenty-seven missing. Some of the latter areknown to be wounded, and will likely be found in some of the hospitals, whileothers are no doubt killed. Among the many whose loss tho regiment nowmourns, and who deserve mention here, are Adjutant James C. Noon, a braveand faithful soldier, who fell while urging the men to the fatal charge, andCaptain John M1. Jones and First Lieutenant William A. Scott, both of comnpany F, who were nobly leading their command, and among the foremost,fighting when they fell."

After the battle, the regiment remained at Camp Humphreys, engaged inthe usual routine of duty, with the exception of its participation in the fruitless movement of the 20th of January, 1863, until the opening of active operations of the campaign under Hooker.

Battle of Chancellorsville

On the 27th of April the movement commenced, the regiment crossing the Rappahannock at Kelly's Ford, and the Rapidan at Ely's Ford. In the formation to receive the enemy, Humphreys' Division was posted on the extreme left of the line, stretching out towards engaged in entrenching. At daybreak on Sunday, the 3d of May, the regiment was moved hastily towards the centre, and was formed on the first line, near the spot where General Whipple was killed. It subsequently was taken along the United States Ford Road, towards the Chancellor House, where aportion of the army was met falling back. From a position parallel with, andnear United States Ford Road, the One Hundred and Thirty-third was quicklymoved to a position at right angles with, and the left resting on this road, witha wood in front. Two companies which had been on picket duty, here re-joinedthe command. With Company B thrown forward as skirmishers, the line advanced through the wood, striking detached parties of the enemy, which fellback on his main force, in position about the Chancellor House.

As the regiment approached the open ground, the enemy opened upon it with his batteries posted but a short distance in front, and poured in a steady fire of grape and canister. Halting his command, Colonel Speakman sent out a detachmentfrom company A to the right, which returned, reporting the enemy movingwith infantry and artillery in that direction. At this juncture the commandwas ordered by General Humphreys to fall back to the position first occupied,on the outer edge of the woods. Soon afterwards the wvoods were fired by theenemy's shells, and the regiment was again ordered -back, and finally occupiedthe position of the early morning. Here it remained until the close of thebattle. The loss in the engagement was one killed, Adjutant Edward C. Bendere, and nine wounded. With the army the regiment withdrew across theriver, in the midst of tl heavy rain, and returned to its former camp.

Its termof service soon afterwards expired, and returning to Harrisburg on the 19th,just nine mouths from its departure, was, during the succeeding week, finallymustered out.

Source:  Bates, Samuel P. History of the Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-65, Harrisburg, 1868-1871.


Organized at Harrisburg August, 1862.
Moved to Washington, D.C., August 19, and duty there till September 2.
Ordered to Rockville, Md., September 2.
Attached to 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 2nd Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to November, 1862.
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 2nd Army Corps, to May, 1863.


Maryland Campaign September 6-22, 1862.
Battle of Antietam, Md., September 16-17.
Moved to Harper's Ferry, W. Va., September 22, and duty there till October 30.
Reconnoissance to Leesburg October 1-2.
Advance up Loudoun Valley and movement to Falmouth, Va., October 30-November 17.
Battle of Fredericksburg December 12-15.
Duty at Falmouth till April 27.
Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6.
Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5.
Mustered out May 24, 1863.


Regiment lost during service:
3 Officers and 70 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and
40 Enlisted men by disease.
Total 113.

Source:  Dyer, Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion Compiled and Arranged from Official Records of the Federal and Confederate Armies, Reports of he Adjutant Generals of the Several States, the Army Registers, and Other Reliable Documents and Sources.Des Moines, Iowa: The Dyer Publishing Company, 1908






U. S. C. T.

Direct questions or comments to pacivilwar@pa-roots.net

©  Alice J. Gayley, all rights reserved

Web Space provided by