5th Cavalry /65th Regiment

Pennsylvania Volunteers


The Fifth Cavalry was recruited under the authority of an order granted by the Secretary of War, dated July 6th, 1861. It was at first known as the Cameron Dragoons. It was among the first of the three years' regiments raised, and being authorized by the National Government, was, for a time, held to be independent of the State of Pennsylvania. The first ten companies were from the city of Philadelphia, the last two from Pittsburg. The following were the field officers:

  • Max Friedman, Colonel
  • Philip Becker, Lieutenant Colonel
  • J. L. Moss, Major
  • Stephen E. Smith, Major
  • E. M. Boteler, Major
As fast as recruited to the maximum number, the companies were sent to camp on Ridge Avenue, near Girard College, where they were subjected to constant drill. On the 22d of August the regiment proceeded to Washington, and encamped at Camp Stoneman, on Seventh street. A few days later companies L and M, which had been recruited at Pittsburg, joined it.

On the 10th of September companies A, B, F and G, under command of Lieutenant Colonel Becker, were ordered to report for scouting duty to General Blenker, across the Potomac. The streams were all much swollen by a recent storm, and unfortunately while fording a small creek, two men of company F were carried away by the impetuous current and drowned.

On the 23d the remaining eight companies were ordered to report to General William F. Smith, in command of a division. These companies were armed just previous to starting. On the morning after their arrival in camp, three companies, D, I and H, were sent to General Hancock, who, upon their reporting to him, ordered them out upon a scout. They fell in with the enemy and had a sharp skirmish, in which several were killed and wounded.

The regiment was now actively employed in scouting in and along the enemy's line, bringing in prisoners almost daily and gathering much useful information. In the general advance of the line of the army, in October, the Fifth was established near Lewinsville, in Camp Griffin. By the terms of an order of the War Department, issued soon after, this regiment, which had previously been regarded as an independent organization, was transferred to the quota of Pennsylvania, and received the number in the line which it bears. Its officers were then commissioned by the State authorities.

During the movement of the army upon Manassas, in March, 1862, Colonel Friedman received notice of the acceptance of his resignation which he had previously tendered, and Lieutenant Colonel Moss assumed command. No enemy having been found the regiment returned to Alexandria, where, shortly afterwards, David Campbell, who had been commissioned Colonel, joined it and took charge. Here it remained in the monotonous routine of camp life until the 8th of May, when it broke camp and moved by transport to Yorktown. Upon its arrival companies A, B, E and L, were ordered to Gloucester Point, where they encamped, and were engaged in scouting in Gloucester, Mathews, King and Queen counties.

On the 12th the remaining companies were ordered to Williamsburg, and Colonel Campbell was appointed military governor of the district. They remained here employed in scouting in rear of the army until its return from the Peninsula campaign, with the exception of two companies, I and K, under command of Captain Brown, which were at the front, and were engaged in the operations before Richmond and the perils of the retreat.

On the 9th of September, while at Fort Magruder, about a mile below Williamsburg, the command was attacked by superior numbers, and driven with the loss of six killed and fifteen wounded. Captains George D. Hart and Leopold Rosenthal were among the latter. Colonel Campbell and thirty-two men were taken prisoners. The regiment was armed with only sabres and pistols, while the enemy had carbines. It afterwards regained its former position, but again fell back before an enemy superior only in numbers and in arms.

The regiment having become greatly reduced by sickness and casualties, two officers were detached and sent to Philadelphia to recruit its ranks to the maximum standard. During the months of October and November, three hundred men were obtained, raising it again to twelve hundred strong. In September company D was ordered to report to General E. D. Keyes for scouting duty on the north side of York River. In February following, under command of Lieutenant Cummings, it made a circuit of Gloucester and Mathews counties, frequently meeting on the route parties of the enemy, and was out fifty-four hours capturing four rebel prisoners and seven horses, with a loss of two killed and three wounded.

On the 7th of January, 1863, companies D and E, in conjunction with a squadron of the Sixth New York, left Yorktown and proceeded on transports to West Point, marching thence towards Indiantown. The object of the movement was to capture a wagon train on its way to White House Landing, bearing valuable contraband goods that were being smuggled through the lines from Baltimore. At daybreak on the following morning the command fell in with the train and a severe struggle ensued lasting half an hour. The guard, which was quite numerous, was at length overpowered and the entire train, laden with medical supplies, Colt's revolvers and other arms, valued at fifty thousand dollars, with thirty prisoners, was captured. The officer in charge stated that he had taken goods through to Richmond, on which his share of the profits amounted to two hundred thousand dollars in gold. Two weeks later the entire regiment was ordered to Burnt Ordinary, where the enemy was reported in force. Upon approaching the place he opened a rapid fire, and a warm skirmish ensued in which he was driven. The loss was two killed and one severely wounded. The enemy's loss was five killed and fifteen wounded, the latter falling into the hands of the victors, who promptly extended to them surgical aid.

Another dash was made upon this post on the 6th of February, by a battalion led by Major Kleinz, which resulted in the dispersion of the enemy's pickets and reserves, and the capture of one prisoner and a considerable amount of valuable property. On the day following, companies L and M, numbering about one hundred men, were sent out on the Williamsburg Stage Road for a scout. Six miles from camp, they fell in with a force of the enemy, estimated at one thousand strong. The two companies charged boldly upon him and though suffering severely, returned again and again to the contest; but the odds against them were too great, and they were at length partially surrounded. Capture seemed inevitable. Seeing a weak point in his lines, a charge was ordered upon it, and they succeeded in breaking through and making their escape, but with the loss of thirty-five killed, wounded, and prisoners. Captain Reinmuller was wounded and fell into the enemy's hands.

An incident occurred in this encounter which is worthy of note. Samuel M. Williamson, of company H, volunteered to accompany the squadron, and leading the advance was the first to be surrounded by the enemy. An imperious demand was made upon him to surrender; but he peremptorily refused, boldly uttering these words of defiance: "I will fight rebels and rebellion as long as breath remains in my body". Scarcely had the sentence passed his lips, when he received a volley, but still refused to surrender. He was then deliberately shot by a rebel Lieutenant. When the body of the brave youth was sent into our lines under flag of truce, the following note, written by the officer who killed him, accompanied it: " I regret the necessity that compelled me to shoot such a brave officer, but found it absolutely necessary to do so in order to save the lives of my own men; he positively refused to surrender, when ordered to do so, and still kept firing his revolver at my men even after he had been twice wounded." Lieutenant Williamson was only nineteen years old, a truly brave man and a devout christian. Upon examining his body, it was found to have been pierced by seventeen balls.

During all the time that the regiment was on the Peninsula, it was engaged in arduous service, some portion of the command being constantly out scouting, and frequently meeting and skirmishing with the enemy, often resulting in severe encounters.

On the 29th of March, a force of the enemy, under command of the rebel General Wise, consisting of two regiments of infantry, one of cavalry and two pieces of artillery, moved upon the post with the design of breaking it up and dispersing the troops, their presence greatly interfering with his operations. Dispositions were made to repel his advance, the regiment occupying the fort and acting upon the defensive. The pickets were soon driven in and the enemy made an impetuous attack, but was repulsed and driven by two companies of the Fifth, the guns of the fort doing excellent execution. Taking advantage of the confusion into which his forces were thrown by this sudden and unexpected check, the remaining companies of the Fifth made a gallant charge which sent him flyng in confusion. The loss was two killed, six wounded, and five taken prisoners, but slight, owing to the shelter of the fort, compared with that of the enemy.

Scarcely two weeks had elapsed, when the command was again attacked, the enemy advancing with infantry and artillery in considerable force, under command of Colonel Tatum. The regiment was at least ten miles from any support. Skillfully deploying, he commenced a vigorous attack, and succeeded after encountering determined resistance in capturing the camp. But only held it for a short time; for, while engaged in fancied security in plundering, the regiment charged upon his disorganized forces, throwing them into confusion and driving them precipitously from the ground. They left a number of horses and equipments and twenty-six prisoners in the hands of our men. During the engagement, Lieutenant Alfred Cromelin, of company C, and four men, while bravely contending with a superior forces were surrounded, and taken prisoners.

On the 7th of May, company D, with a squadron of the Sixth New York, under command of Major Hall, of that regiment, was sent to West Point, where it was joined by a force from General Dix's column, under command of Generals Keyes and Gordon. The combined force was charged with making a diversion in favor of Hooker at Chancellorsville. The cavalry was sent out, and at about two miles from West Point, fell in with a body of the enemy's horse. Skirmishing at once commenced, which was kept up until it reached King and Queen Court House. The enemy was driven with the loss of several wounded and captured. Lieutenant Williams, of the Sixth, was killed near the Court House.

At the stream hard by the town, a guard of cavalry, consisting of one hundred men, holding as prisoners Lieutenant Eustis, of General Kilpatrick's staff, and fifteen men who had been sent with dispatches to General Hooker, were met. By a skillful disposition of his forces, Major Hall succeeded in recapturing these prisoners, together with thirty-eight of the enemy. The whole party was brought safely into General Keyes' headquarters the same night, where Major Hall, with his party, received the compliments of the commanding generals for his gallantry. On the following day, upon the arrival of General Kilpatrick at Yorktown, whither his command had retired, he for the first time learned the fate of his aid, and escort, and expressed much gratification at their rescue from the horrors of a rebel prison.

During the summer months, little of interest transpired. The ranks of the command had become very much reduced by sickness and casualties. At least four-fifths of the men, during this period, were in hospitals, prostrated by fever and ague.

On the 8th of September, the regiment was ordered to report at Norfolk. Upon its arrival, a battalion composed of companies C, D, F, H and I, under Major William G. M'Candless, was sent to South Mills, North Carolina, the terminus of the Dismal Swamp Canal. The march was commenced in the midst of a terrible rain storm, by which the streams were much swollen and bridges washed away. After many hardships it arrived on the 13th, and was immediately assigned to picket duty, the enemy in front.

The remaining companies, under Lieutenant Colonel Lewis, went to Great Bridge, on the Albemarle and Chesapeake Canal, ten miles from Norfolk, where they were assigned to scouting and picket duty; guarding the canal as far down as Curituck Sound.

On the 15th, company D was ordered to Indiantown, to capture or disperse a party of about one hundred citizen-guerrillas, who were engaged in robbing and murdering Union men, of whom there were large numbers in that neighborhood, and in helping smugglers and rebel mail carriers on their way to Richmond. It promptly attacked, on its arrival, surprising and routing the party, and capturing its arms. On the same day, companies F and H, were sent towards Drummond Lake, where, meeting with the enemy, they had a severe skirmish, which resulted in their taking eighteen prisoners, four of them wounded. Soon afterwards company D was detached from the battalion and sent to Coinjoick Bridge, on the Albemarle and Chesapeake Canal.

On the 22d, companies C, F, H and I, under orders from Brigadier General Henry M. Naglee, advanced towards Raleigh. After severe fighting, and sustaining considerable losses in killed and wounded, they succeeded in pushing out about twenty miles, when, meeting with greatly superior numbers, they were obliged to return. About the same time a battalion, consisting of companies A, B, L and M, under Major Kleinz, were ordered to Curituck Court House, and upon their arrival were employed in clearing the surrounding country of bands of the enemy who were engaged in irregular warfare. Much hard marching and severe fighting was done by this command, and it succeeded in ridding the district of these troublesome parties. Companies E, G and K remained with Lieutenant Colonel Lewis, at Great Bridge, engaged in scouting and picketing in the advance of General Getty's command.

On the 20th of October, the detachments were ordered to assemble at Great Bridge, where the regiment went into winter quarters. While here about one-half of the regiment re-enlisted, to the number of two hundred and fifty, and were given a veteran furlough.

On the 11th of November ten companies were ordered to report to General Getty, at Getty's Station, two miles south of Portsmouth, where they were assigned to a brigade of cavalry commanded by Colonel S. P. Spear, of the Eleventh Pennsylvania, companies D and K remaining at Great Bridge. In pursuance of an order issued by General Butler, in command of the Department, received on the 1st of January, 1864, Lieutenant Cummings was appointed to enroll all citizens between the ages of eighteen and forty-five, subject to military duty, in North Carolina, but was obliged to confine his operations to the counties bordering on Virginia.

Companies D and K having re-joined the regiment, it proceeded by transport to Yorktown, where it joined the command of General Wister, consisting of five regiments of infantry, two white and three colored, Colonel Spear's Cavalry, and two batteries of artillery, charged with making a sudden dash upon Richmond with the design of entering it by surprise and releasing the Union prisoners confined there. Marching to Bottom's Bridge, the enemy was discovered in position upon the opposite side of the Chickahominy, prepared to dispute the passage. The Fifth was ordered forward to charge the bridge, but was repulsed, the enemy having artillery planted to command the crossing. The artillery and infantry not having come up, further progress was stopped until they should arrive.

In the meantime the enemy was able, under cover of his artillery, to take up the bridge. A soldier under sentence of death at Fort M'Gruder, having escaped the night previous, had deserted to the enemy and given information of the proposed movement, thus enabling him to prepare to meet it. The enemy soon concentrated a heavy force in front, rendering further efforts futile, and the command returned.

On the 1st of March a force of the enemy appearing at Ballahack, on the Dismal Swamp Canal, a detail of one hundred men under Captain Faith, was ordered out upon a reconnoissance to ascertain the probable number. The night was dark and many difficulties were encountered, but it finally came up with the foe, and a skirmish ensued in which the loss was three killed and four wounded.

During the months of February and March two hundred and thirty-one recruits were sent to the regiment. Upon the expiration of his term, Lieutenant Colonel Lewis was mustered out of service, and Major Christopher Kleinz was promoted to succeed him.

Early in May the spring campaign opened, and General Kautz, who had been assigned to the command of a division of cavalry in the Army of the James, was ordered upon a raid for the destruction of the Petersburg and Weldon Railroad. His column was composed of the Eleventh and Fifth Pennsylvania, the Third New York, and First District of Columbia,. The enemy in considerable force was met at the Blackwater, but was routed and nine of his men taken prisoners. On the evening of the 7th, Kautz struck the railroad at Stony Creek Station, where he captured fifty-five prisoners, including one Major, one captain, and two Lieutenants. The station and warehouses were quickly burned.

On the following morning he resumed the march and proceeded to Jarrett's Station, where the enemy was in readiness for attack. The Eleventh was ordered forward to charge upon him, but failed to dislodge him. The Fifth was then brought up and by the most gallant conduct carried the position, driving him and capturing forty-three prisoners. The command immediately commenced tearing up the track and completely destroyed several miles, committing the station and buildings containing valuable supplies to the flames. The destruction was as effectually, as speedily accomplished.

In returning, the command was ordered to proceed to the Nottoway Bridge and capture and destroy it if possible. The enemy was found entrenched on the opposite side of the river. The Fifth attempted to force a passage but was driven back. The Eleventh was ordered forward, and aided by a combined attack, the enemy yielded. The bridge was destroyed and a number of prisoners taken.

On the 11th the Division was sent to Bermuda Hundred, whence, on the following day, it started on a raid upon the Richmond and Danville railroad, with instructions to effect as great a destruction of the road as possible. It was first struck at Coalfield Station. The track for two miles, with buildings containing immense quantities of supplies, was given to destruction, and the coal-pits fired. While the work was in progress a skirmish occurred which resulted in the loss of five wounded. From Coalfield the command marched to Powhattan Station where the buildings were fired and a portion of the track contiguous destroyed. On the morning of the 14th the enemy was attacked at a point south of Powhattan and driven. Without much annoyance it proceeded to the South Side Railroad, where the work of destruction was re-commenced, and several miles of track were rendered useless.

The command now began to be much troubled by the rebel cavalry hovering upon its flanks, rendering it necessary to keep a large body of skirmishers out at a considerable distance. Near Bellfield a large force of the enemy had concentrated in expectation that Kautz would fall into its embrace. Advised of his situation, and realizing his peril, he at once ordered two companies of the Fifth to make a feint in that direction, while he led the main portion of his column away to Jarrett's Station, where the two companies subsequently re-joined him, beguiling the enemy and saving his force.

After arriving at City Point, the command crossed the Appomattox and joined General Butler's forces. The regiment was dismounted and put into the trenches with the rest of the cavalry. On the 22d, Colonel R. M. West was transferred from the First Pennsylvania Artillery to the command of the Fifth Cavalry, relieving Lieutenant Colonel Kleinz. Remaining on duty in the works, until the morning of the 9th of June, the cavalry division was ordered to move upon, and capture a portion of the enemy's defences in front of Petersburg, to be supported by a division of infantry under General Gilmore. Reaching the works at noon, the regiment under command of Lieutenant Colonel Kleinz was ordered to charge. Dismounting and forming, at the word of command the line dashed forward with wild shouts, scaled the works, and drove out the enemy. Without pausing, the men followed up the fleeing foe, capturing one brass gun and fifty-four prisoners. Over one hundred of the enemy, killed or wounded, were left upon the field. The loss in the Fifth was slight. Pursuit was continued to within half a mile of Petersburg; but upon being met by General Beauregard's force, retired in good order. The infantry failing to come up, the advantage gained was lost.

On the 15th, the cavalry division was ordered to make a second demonstration upon the defences of the city. A fort, which commanded the road leading to the town, was first flanked and captured. Arriving within sight of the defences, the enemy was met and driven into his works, which were found to be of too great strength to be carried by assault. The loss was considerable, Colonel Mix, of the Third New York being killed. Soon after this movement, Colonel West was assigned to the command of a brigade, Lieutenant Colonel Kleinz resuming command of the Fifth, and retaining it until its consolidation in May, 1865.

On the 21st of June, the cavalry divisions under Generals Kantz and Wilson were united, and started upon what is familiarly known as Wilson's raid. On the 23d, the command reached the junction of the South Side and Richmond and Danville roads, where two or three hundred of the enemy's wounded were discovered. The buildings and commissary stores here were destroyed. The track was torn up from the Junction to Roanoke Station, a distance of forty-five miles, and the buildings and bridges by the way were effectually destroyed. During the progress of the work, considerable skirmishing occurred, attended with some loss; but no determined resistance was met until the command reached the Station, where the enemy was found entrenched on the south side of the stream. As soon as the advance, under command of Sergeant Allen of the Fifth, arrived within range, the enemy opened on him with artillery. General Kautz immediately brought forward his division and the ground was sharply contested until night-fall. A little before day-break of the following morning, the 26th, General Wilson ordered the command to withdraw, which was effected in good order. The enemy followed up and pressed the rear with great pertinacity. At five o'clock, P. M. of the 28th, the head of the column reached Stony Creek Station, on the Weldon Railroad, and was at once attacked by the enemy's cavalry. Unable to force the position, General Kautz was ordered to flank it and march on towards camp. This movement was executed, but not without serious opposition.

Upon the arrival of Colonel Spear's Brigade at Ream's Station, on the morning of the 29th, General Longstreet, with a force of ten thousand men with artillery, was found in position ready to dispute its farther progress, and immediately commenced an attack upon the column. At the moment that the battle opened in front, the left flank and rear was assaulted by the enemy's cavalry, under Lee and Hampton. The unequal contest was continued for some time, the brigade losing heavily in killed and wounded, and in horses and material. Finding it impossible to force his way through, Kautz ordered Colonel West to take the advance, and make his way through a swamp with his command. This was successfully accomplished, reaching the lines of the army at dusk of the same day. The regiment lost in this expedition, about three hundred men, and as many horses, half of its effective strength. For seventy-two hours previous to the final struggle, the men had had no sleep nor any thing to eat, and were in no condition for a conflict even with equal numbers; yet they stood manfully up to their duty, even in the face of overwhelming odds, and escaped from an enemy who was sanguine of their utter annihilation.

From about the middle of July, until the close of September, the regiment was kept almost constantly in motion, frequently meeting and skirmishing with the enemy, and performing severe picket duty. This service took it to both sides of the James, and to various points along the lines-on the 17th of July, to Malvern Hill; on the 30th, to the Petersburg and Norfolk Railroad; August 10th, to Fort Powhattan; on the 14th, to Sycamore Church, on the Petersburg and Norfolk Stage Road; on the 19th, to Mount Sinai Church; on the 26th, to Mill's House, on the Norfolk Railroad; and on September 2d, to Yellow Tavern.

On the 29th of September, the regiment crossed to the north of the James and joined General Butler's Army. Soon afterwards an attempt was made to force the works before Richmond. Kautz, with his cavalry, passed round to the Mechanicsville Road, and working his way through the felled timber which obstructed it, approached, under cover of darkness, the enemy's lines. Alarmed by the pickets he at once opened a terrible fire. After remaining in position within range of his guns for an hour, during which he poured out his ammunition without stint, the command was ordered to retire. The loss in the regiment in killed and wounded was about twenty.

In connection with the division of General Terry, the Fifth assaulted the enemy's lines on the Boydton Plank Road on the 1st of October. The engagement was severe and lasted over two hours, but was fruitless. Again on the 3d, the enemy, while out reconnoitering, attacked and was handsomely repelled by the Fifth.

The enemy having concentrated a heavy force in front of Kautz's Division, now reduced to about nine hundred men, on the morning of the 7th opened a furious attack. He was at first repulsed with severe loss, but renewing the contest he came on in redoubled strength, and with the spirit of desperation. Still he was checked by the steady fire of the cavalry. Stung by the obstinate resistance of this comparatively insignificant force, he again pushed on his columns and finally succeeded in driving it back and possessing the lines. The opposing force which was led by Longstreet and Picket, numbered six thousand. The Fifth lost fourteen killed, twenty-seven wounded and seventy-two taken prisoners, nearly half its effective strength. Colonel Kleinz, Captains. Kerr and Galliseth and Lieutenant Clayton were among the wounded.

On the 27th the fragment which remained of the regiment was attached to a force under General Weitzel, which, proceeding out upon the Charles City Road, attacked the enemy. The Fifth suffered only slight casualties. On the 10th of December it was again advanced upon the Charles City Road, where, with two companies of the Twentieth New York Cavalry, it was charged with holding the picket line, connecting with the Eleventh Pennsylvania on the right. Early in the morning a body of cavalry and a brigade of infantry of Longstreet's troops made an attack, and a warm contest ensued. Gaining no advantage by manoeuvring or fighting, he finally concentrated his forces and struck heavily upon that part of the line held by the Fifth. It met the shock without yielding, and gallantly charging in turn, drove him back and compelled him to relinquish the contest. The loss was seven killed and fourteen wounded. Among the latter was Captain Galliseth and Lieutenant Schrader.

For its gallantry on this occasion, General Ord, commanding the Department, directed General Kautz to issue the following order, addressed to Colonel West:

" General Ord, commanding the army, desires me to inform you of his gratification at the conduct of yourself and your command on the 10th instant, in resisting the enemy's advance and delaying his columns on that occasion, and finally compelling him to abandon his contemplated offensive movement, without obtaining any compensating results. I congratulate you on this merited appreciation of the general commanding, and trust that it is but an indication of still greater services and consequent distinction that awaits you and your command."

The regiment remained after this engagement upon the Charles City Road on picket duty, until the 25th of March, 1865, when it moved out in the midst of a terrible storm of snow and hail, to White Oak Swamp, to meet General Sheridan's command. Three days later it crossed the James, and proceeded to Hatcher's Run. Resting here until April 1st, it moved with the cavalry upon its last campaign.

Passing Dinwiddie Court House, it proceeded to the extreme left of the Union lines, where the enemy was found. A part of the Fifth Corps was falling back before him as the cavalry advanced. A charge was immediately ordered, and the Fifth led by Lieutenant Colonel Kleinz, made a gallant and effective dash, capturing three hundred prisoners and a large number of small arms. The rout of his forces upon the left was complete. The regiment joined in the pursuit which was continued to Gravelly Run, where skirmishing ensued, under which the stream was crossed and a line taken up which was held until the 3d, when it was again engaged. During the 4th and 5th, it moved forward, reaching Amelia Court House, harrassing the left flank of the enemy with good effect. On the 6th, the command marched to Burkesville, skirmishing on the way, and on the 7th established a picket near Prince Edward Court House. Marching out on the following day to the Lynchburg and Richmond Railroad, four trains of cars moving towards Richmond were captured. In the evening it arrived in the neighborhood of Appomattox Court House, and at four o'clock on the following morning moved for the general battle field which was reached at six. The enemy fought with his characteristic recklessness and daring, forcing the line back into a dense wood, where it reformed and held him in check, until the infantry were in position in the rear, when the cavalry was ordered to cease firing and retire. This was accomplished in good order.

After reaching the rear of the infantry, a portion of the rebel cavalry which had moved round upon the Union left, made its appearance, and the Fifth was ordered out on the skirmish line. Dismounting, it moved promptly to the work and held the enemy in check, while General Davies was bringing his division into position for a grand charge. The skirmishing was continued with vigor until eleven o'clock, when the order to cease firing was received; the rumor prevailing that Lee was making overtures for a surrender, and that Grant was master of the situation. Every thing at this moment was obscured in doubt, and the excitement incident to a well contested field had not subsided. The doubt did not long continue; for soon it was announced that Lee had surrendered, and the wildest cheers ran along the line.

On the 12th, the division was ordered to Lynchburg, the bands playing " Hail Columbia." as it went. Returning, it passed Appomattox Court House on the 16th, Farmville on the 18th, Burkesville on the 19th, Five Forks on the 22d, through Richmond on the 24th, and encamped on the Mechanicsville Pike, where it rested. On the 19th of May, three hundred and thirty-one officers and men of the Fifth were mustered out of service, and on the 6th of June, the remainder of the regiment was consolidated with the Third Pennsylvania. But little of moment occurred during the remainder of its term, and on the 7th of August, it was finally mustered out of service at Richmond.


Organized at Philadelphia July to September, 1861.
Moved to Washington, D.C., August 22, 1861.
Attached to Smith's Division, Army Potomac, to March, 1862.
Unattached, 4th Army Corps, Army Potomac, to December, 1862.
West's Advance Brigade, 4th Corps, Dept. Virginia, to June, 1863.
2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 4th Army Corps, Dept. of Virginia, to July, 1863.
Wistar's Brigade, Yorktown, Va., Dept. Virginia and North Carolina, to August, 1863.
U.S. Forces, Portsmouth, Va., Dept. Virginia and North Carolina, to December, 1863.
District Currituck, Dept. Virginia and North Carolina, to January, 1864.
Heckman's Division, 18th Army Corps, Dept. Virginia and North Carolina, to April, 1864.
2nd Brigade, Cavalry Division, Dept. of Virginia and North Carolina, Army of the James, to May, 1864.
1st Brigade, Kautz's Cavalry Division, Dept. Virginia and North Carolina, to April, 1865.
Cavalry Brigade, Dept. of Virginia, to July, 1865.
Richmond, Va., District Henrico, Dept. Virginia, to August 1865.


Duty in the Dept. of Washington, D.C., till May 8, 1862.
Reconnoissance to Pohick Church,Va., December 18, 1861 (Cos. "C," "F," "H").
Flint Hill and Hunter's Mill February 7, 1862.
Fairfax C. H. February 6.
Expedition to Vienna and Flint Hill February 22.
Duty near Alexandria till May.
Ordered to Yorktown, Va., May 8.
Scouting about Gloucester Point May 10 (Cos. "A," "B," "E" and "L").
Scouting about Williamsburg May 12.
Skirmishes at Mechanicsville May 23-24.
Seven days before Richmond June 25-July 1 (Cos. "I," "K").
Savage Station June 29. White Oak Swamp Bridge June 30.
Malvern Hill July 1.
Reconnoissance from Yorktown to Gloucester, Matthews and King
and Queen Counties July 7-9 (Cos. "B," "E," "L," "M").
Duty at Yorktown and Williamsburg till September 8, 1863.
Williamsburg and Fort Magruder September 9, 1862.
Reconnoissance from Yorktown to Gloucester, Matthews, King and Queen
and Middlesex Counties December 11-15.
Reconnoissance to Burnt Ordinary December 17.
Expedition to West Point and White House January 7-9, 1863 (Detachment).
Burnt Ordinary January 19.
Near Olive Creek Church February 5 (Cos. "L," "M").
Williamsburg and Olive Branch Church February 7.
Williamsburg March 23 and 29.
Whittaker's Mills April 11.
Reconnoissance through Gates County and down Chowan River June 5-13.
Nine Mile Ordinary June 14.
Diascund Bridge June 20.
Dix's Peninsula Campaign June 24-July 8.
Barnesville June 28.
Baltimore Cross Roads June 29.
Expedition from White House to Bottom's Bridge July 1-7.
Baltimore Cross Roads July 1.
Bottom's Bridge July 2.
Expedition to Bottom's Bridge August 26-29.
New Kent C. H. August 28.
Bottom's Bridge August 29.
Ordered to Norfolk, Va., September 8, and duty about Norfolk
and Portsmouth, Va., till December.
Companies "C," "D," "F," "H" and "I" at South Mills, N. C., September 13.
Companies "A," "B," "E," "G," "K," "L" and "M" at Great Bridge.
Expedition to Indiantown, N. C., September 15-20 (Co. "D").
Near Kempsville September 15. Indiantown September 20. (Cos. "F" and "H"
at Drummond Lake September 15.)
Companies "C," "F," "H" and "I" advance to Raleigh September 22;
Companies "A," "B," "L" and "M" to Currituck C. H. September 23.
Affair on Back Bay September 30 (Detachment).
Scout from Great Bridge to Indiantown, N. C., October 13 (Detachment).
Bingo Landing October 16-17 (Detachment). Camden C. H.
October 17. Regiment assembled at Great Bridge October 20.
Expedition from Norfolk to South Mills, Camden, etc., N. C., December 5-24.
Duty at Yorktown and in District of the Currituck till May, 1864.
Wistar's Expedition toward Richmond February 6-8.
Bottom's Bridge February 4.
Ballahock on Bear Quarter Road and Deep Creek February 29-March 1.
Ballahock Station near Dismal Swamp Canal March 1. Deep Creek March 2.
Reconnoissance from Portsmouth to the Blackwater April 13-15 (Detachment).
Kautz's Raid on Petersburg & Weldon Railroad May 5-11.
Birch Island Bridges May 5.
Stony Creek Station and Jarrett's Station May 7.
White's Bridge, Nottaway Creek, May 8.
Nottaway Railroad Bridge May 8. Jarrett's Station May 8-9.
Kautz's Raid on Richmond & Danville Railroad May 12-17.
Coalfield Station May 13. Powhatan Station May 14.
Belcher's Mills May 16.
Petersburg June 9. Before Petersburg June 15-18.
Siege operations against Petersburg and Richmond June, 1864, to April, 1865.
Roanoke Station June 20, 1864.
Wilson's Raid on South Side & Danville Railroad June 22-July 2.
Staunton River Bridge or Roanoke Station June 25.
Sappony Church, Stony Creek, June 28-29. Ream's Station June 29.
Demonstration north of the James at Deep Bottom July 27-29. Malvern Hill July 30.
Chaffin's Farm, New Market Heights, September 29-30.
Darbytown Road October 7-13 and December 10.
Charles City Cross Roads October 26.
Battle of Fair Oaks October 27-28.
Appomattox Campaign March 28-April 9, 1865.
Dinwiddie C. H. March 31.
Five Forks April 1.
Gravelly Ford on Hatcher's Run April 2.
Near Amelia C. H. April 4-5. Burkesville and Sailor's Creek April 6.
Prince Edward's C. H. April 7.
Appomattox Court House April 9.
Surrender of Lee and his army.
Duty at Richmond, Va., and in District of Henrico, Dept. of Virginia, to August.
Mustered out August 7, 1865, and discharged at Philadelphia, Pa., August 16, 1865.


Regiment lost during service: 1 Officer and 76 Enlisted men killed and
mortally wounded and 6 Officers and 210 Enlisted men by disease.
Total 293.


Bates, Samuel P. History of the Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-65, Harrisburg, 1868-1871.

Dyer, Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion Compiled and Arranged from Official Records of the Federal and Confederate Armies, Reports of he Adjutant Generals of the Several States, the Army Registers, and Other Reliable Documents and Sources.Des Moines, Iowa: The Dyer Publishing Company, 1908







U. S. C. T.

©  2015 Alice J. Gayley, all rights reserved