Greenville Township

Created: Monday, 14 September 2015 Last Updated: Monday, 14 September 2015 Written by Administrator Print Email

<center><strong>HISTORY OF THE TOWNSHIP</strong></center>
Greenville township was organized in 1812 from a portion of Southampton. It has a small population that depends mainly on agriculture for support. An abundance of fine quality limestone is known to exist but no mineral deposits have yet been developed.

The first settlers of the township were Samuel Finley and his brother, William. Other early settlers were: David Miller, George Clingaman, Michael Varner, Peter Houtzel, Michael Houtzel, George Houtzel, Christian Lint, Martin Weimer, Peter Deal, John Klink and Christian Shockey Sr.

In early years the enter region was densely wooded and provided shelter for all types of game. The pioneers, who were generally adept in the use of the rifle, had no difficulty in procuring supplies of fresh meat at all times of the year. In other respects, they were not so fortunate. In the midst of a lonely wilderness without roads, except for bridle-paths, to connect them with the outer world, they were obliged to work diligently clearing and planting their fields from early to late. They had only the rudest kinds of farming implements to use; hoes and forks manufactured by blacksmiths, wooden plows, wooden harrows, the sickle and the mattock were the chief tools. Homemade flax and woolen goods, moccasins and shoes made by some itinerant shoemaker, and buckskin pantaloons were the clothes worn. Furniture was scanty and simple. Benches, tables and bedsteads made by the settlers themselves were deemed good enough to furnish houses which were built without the use of nails or boards.

For many years, they were entirely without educational, religious and social privileges. The first church in the township was erected by the citizens as a union meeting-house about 1810 and was principally occupied by the Presbyterians and Lutherans. It was also used as a schoolhouse. It stood about a mile and a half northwest of Pocahontas and was made of logs and shingles that were fastened on by means of wooden pins driven into holes made with a gimlet.

The first blacksmith in the township was Peter Keifer, who erected a shop on his land one mile west of Pocahontas in 1806.

The first distillery in the township was erected in 1792 by Peter Deal, an early settler, and his sons. There have been no distilleries operating in in Greenville for some years.

The first sawmill was erected on the present farm of Jacob P. Miller by John Klink. At present there are three steam sawmills in operation in the township. They are owned by Beck Brothers, Rosenberger Brothers and Jacob P. Miller.

In area, Greenville township is 14,665 acres or about twenty-three square miles. In 1930, it contained 101 farms and had a population of 626 persons. The only collection of houses in this township is Pocahontas.

(Source: partially extracted from History of Bedford, Somerset &amp; Fulton Counties, PA; 1884)

<a href="/,569868"><u>Solomon Engle</u></a> - <a href="/,569866"><u>Christian Lint</u></a> - <a href="/,569867"><u>David Miller</u></a> - <a href="/,569869"><u>Isaac Stoner</u></a> - <a href="/,569865"><u>Daniel Yutzy</u></a>

<a href="/articles.php?article_id=65"><u>Greenville Reformed Church</u></a> - <a href="/articles.php?article_id=66"><u>Greenville Churches</u></a>

<center><strong>TAX LISTS</strong></center>
<a href="/articles.php?article_id=63"><u>1813</u></a>

<center><strong>TOWNS &amp; VILLAGES</strong></center>
<a href="/articles.php?article_id=254"><u>Pocahontas</u></a>

<a href="/"><u>Mary S. Biesecker Public Library</u></a>
230 S. Rosina Avenue
Somerset, PA 15501
Telephone: (814)-445-4011

<a href="/"><u>Meyersdale Public Library</u></a>
210 Center St.
P. O. Box 98
Meyersdale, PA 15552

Somerset County Library
6022 Glades Pike
Suite 120
Somerset, PA 15501
Telephone: (814)445-2556