Elk County, Pennsylvania
Posted Queries for December 2000 thru January 2001
- KEEFER, WESCOTT posted by Norma Drumm on Monday, December 18, 2000
- Trying to locate names, etc. of parents of Isaac KEEFER, b est 1819--1822, who married Martha Wescott,b. May19,1831, daughter of Martha Taylor Wescott and Ira Wescott--also any descendants of same
- HARA, TOOMEY posted by Kathi on Sunday, December 24, 2000
- I'm searching for information on my gggrandfather Denis/Dennis Toomey who immigrated from Ireland to PA sometime in the mid 1800's. He married Mary O'Hara prior to 1865 and had nine or ten children. Denis/Dennis died around 1890 and Mary and four of the five remaining children John, Alice, Maurice, and James Daniel moved to MN. while the oldest surviving son Michael remained in PA. Michael married Josephine Wank in 1887 and Michael built the East Branch Hotel in Glen Hazel, PA ub 1888.
Denis/Dennis Toomey and four or five of his and Mary's children are buried in PA, presumably in the Fox Township /Elk County area where Denis/Dennis and Mary lived prior to his death and where most of their children were born.
I would greatly appreciate any information on the Toomey/O'Hara family.
- NOONAN, RETTGER posted by Lorree Wright on Monday, December 25, 2000
- I am researching Gertrude Amelia Rettger (b. July 29, 1895). Siblings included Cyril, Leo, Ben, Hubert, William, and Charlotte. Any information about family history would be appreciated. She was born in St. Mary's, Pennsylvania. Also searching for any information on her husband, Harry(Henry?) Michael Noonan (born in Erie, Penn. approximately 1891).
- BURG, HARPS, JOHNSON, MALBURG, NELSON posted by Debbie Boaz on Wednesday, December 27, 2000
- Still looking for information on maternal ancestors living in Ridgway and Montmorenci areas. Will exchange information, photos, etc. Please note new email address.
- DRYSDALE, MECCA, MILLER, MURPHY, WONDERLY posted by Debbie Boaz on Wednesday, December 27, 2000
- Would like to exchange information, pictures, etc. on paternal ancestors living in the Ridgway, Kersey areas. I also have information on and am seeking to fill in blanks on collateral lines. Please note new email address.
- GLANT, KUNTZELMAN, MORAN posted by Donna Terrian on Wednesday, December 27, 2000
- Researching Ridgway, Elk Co. during the time frame of 1880's(1883-1886), when John A. Glant, wife Minnie Kuntzelman, son David Irwin resided in Ridgway....
John Atkinson Glant (b.1846 in McVeytown, Mifflin Co.,PA), oldest son of Henry/Eliz. Glant.
John A. Glant m. Minnie Kuntzelman. Resided in Elk Co. / Ridgway 1880's.
Newspaper dated 21 June 1883 states that John A. Glant of Ridgeway is spending time at McVeytown
Newspaper dated 27 August 1885 states:
Mrs. Glant and Mrs. Moran of McVeytown, who have been visiting at Ridgway, left for home on Monday eve.
1 Oct 1885 Mr. and Mrs. Jno. A. Glant, with their son, returned to Ridgway on Monday evening.
12 Nov 1885 Jno A. Glant has rented Col. Schoening's house on South Street, (Ridgway) and took possession last week.
20 May 1886 -Mr. Jno. A. Glant, who has occupied the position of cashier at W.H. Hyde & Co's Largest Retail for several years, has tendered his resignation to take effect June 1st. We understand that Mr. Glant will move away, but his destination we do not know. His co
- ERICKSON posted by Louise Fowler on Sunday, December 31, 2000
- Looking for cemetary in Ridgeway where gr grandfather Goodman Erickson was buried in 1913. May be spelled Gudmun or Gudmond. Need date of birth if possible from stone.Thank you
- BARWIN, JONES, SCHWEINFEST posted by John O'Connell on Sunday, December 31, 2000
- Seeking genealogical information with reference to the Joseph Barwin and Grace Jones, and Francis Schweinfest Barwin and family of Rolfe and Straight, Elk County, PA. Joseph Barwin was born in Ulster County, New York on 24 April 1862 and died 28 February 1908 at Rolfe, Ridgway Township, Elk County, PA. Grace Jones Barwin in 1874 in Sullivan Co. NY, died in Bridgeport, CT in 1944. Their daughter, my Grandmother, Madeleine Ann/Agnes Barwin O'Connell was born in Rolfe on 2 August 1898 and died at Bridgeport, CT on 20 June 1971.
- MAWN, MURRAY posted by Dena Wemple on Tuesday, January 2, 2001
- Looking for Information on the Mawns from Johnsonburg area Bryon b:abt 1833, Catherine(Dolan)Mawn, Children Margaret, Lawrence, Thomas, John, Mary, and Sarah. Lawrence was my G-Grandfather he was married to Mary A (Murray)their children were: Stephen, Kathryn, Joseph, Frank, Raymond, Genevieve, William, and Mary Ellen (my Grandmother).
- BISH, BUSHLEY, GOODAR, SMITH posted by Diana Lineman on Tuesday, January 2, 2001
- Seeking descendants of Ephraim Bushley 1833Canada-1893Warsaw PA and Esther GoodAr 1840Warsaw PA-1916Brockway PA. William Bushley b: March 22, 1863--Benjamin M Bushley b: Jan 26, 1876--Alice M Bushley b: June 10, 1878 (wed Thomas E Bish) & Minnie Bushley B: Dec 28, 1880 (wed Harry Carnahan). Resided at DeYoung. Smith line from George W.Smith and Susan Williams Smith. James E Smith wed Anna R Bushley, Sara Smith wed Ed Bish, Mary Ann Smith wed --Campbell, Olive Ett Smith wed Charles S Bushley,(DeYoung) George F Smith wed Adeline unknown, lived at Sackett.
- ENGERT, GEITNER, JOHN, KUGLER, SCHICK, WENDEL posted by Ginny on Wednesday, January 3, 2001
- Am looking for info on John Engert and Margarethe Schick Engert and their children : Andrew, Mary who md. a Kugler, Anna md. William Geitner, Kunnegunda who md. Joseph Acks. And, A John Wendel who md. Anna Bauer, their dau. Barbara md. John B. Geitner, my gr gr grandparents. Thanks! Ginny
- JENKINS, NEWELL, PASSMORE, REESE, RENWICK posted by Paul Newell on Friday, January 5, 2001
- I am searching for information on the second wife of my 2nd great-grandfather Henry A. NEWELL, her married name is Susan A. Newell. They had no children.
Susan and Henry are enumerated in the 1900 census of Charleston Township, Tioga County, Pennsylvania in the vicinity of the Welsh Settlement. In that census, Susan is shown as being born May 1855 in Wales, England. Also listed in the Newell household is Elizabeth Hopkins, age 83, born Wales, England. While in Tioga County, Susan and Henry raised a foster child of English descent; his given name was Gordon.
Susan and Henry left Tioga County and removed to Elmira, Chemung County, New York in the early 1900?s. Susan died 22 July 1922 in Elmira, Chemung, New York. Her obituary is listed below:
Mrs. Susie A. Newell died Saturday at 7 PM at the family home 199 E. Miller St. She was 64 years of age. She is survived by her husband Henry A. Newell, two stepdaughters, Mrs. Jay Smith of this city, Mrs. Joseph Presser of Bayonne, N.J.; two stepsons, George and Clark Newell of Gillett, Pa., four sisters, Mrs. James Passmore of Cherry Flats, Pa., Mrs. Arthur Jenkins and Mrs. J. Renwick of Weedville, Pa. and Mrs. William Patterson of Dubois, Pa. The furneral will be held Tuesday at 2:30 PM at the family home. The Rev. E. E. Fry of the Riverside M. E. Church will Officiate. Burial in Woodlawn Cemetery.
I am hoping to discover Susan A. Newell?s maiden name and the names of her parents; unfortunately, all of her sisters (listed above) are married and no brother survived her. I am listing this query in Elk County, Pennsylvania because two of her sisters were residing there in 1922, at the time of Susan?s death. I would sincerely appreciate any information on Susan; will share what I have.
- BAUER, BUSCH, GEITNER, GROSS, WENDEL, WICKETT, YOUNG posted by Ginny on Saturday, January 6, 2001
- George and Elizabeth Eichenmuller came from Germany. Any info on children:
John Baptist (my line) and Barbara Wendel
Johann Nicholas md. Anna Bauer
Johannas George md. Regina Wickett
Sarah(Theresia or Elizabeth) md. William Gross
Elizabeth md. Philip Young
Mary Magdelene (lena) md. Paul Busch
Would like any information on these children! Thankyou Ginny
- BRECK, ENGERT, GEITNER, KLAIVER, NIST, PFINGSTER, STOUT posted by Ginny on Saturday, January 6, 2001
- Schwabenbauer, Maybee-Apker names also John Baptist md. Barbara Wendel. I need info on their children:
Edward died age 3
Sara T. died young
Elizabeth md. William J. Nist
William J. md. Anna Engert (my gr grandparents)
Regina/Rachael md. William H. Stout
Theresai katherine md. Frank Schwabenbauer
John George md. Mary Mollie Meehand of Marionville
Anna md. Charles Pfingster
Mary Lena-Magdelena md. John Klaiver
Andrew Sebastian md. Crescence Breck
Albert Joseph md. Louise Diane Maybee Apker/Apner
Please let me know if anyone has info on the above! Thanks Ginny
- SCHATZ, YEAGER posted by Marcy Surra on Sunday, January 7, 2001
- I am looking for information on my grandmother who was born early 1900,s died approx. 1931. Her name was Marcella Schatz Yeager, m. to George Yeager.
- FRIEDL, GRADL, KUGLER, STAUBER, WITTMAN posted by Edmund Maul on Sunday, January 21, 2001
- Researching in St. Marys Borough 1910 US Federal Census. There are E.D.'s 50 and 51. How many other E.D.' are there in St. Marys Borough? Some of the families that emigrated to St. Marys came from the Oberpfalz, Bavaria. Places such as Sommerhau, Zogenreuth, Hopfenohe, etc.
- RINDOS posted by Rob Rindos on Monday, January 22, 2001
- Searching for information on our family Rindos in Elk county. Thank You.
- LABBE, SLATER, SLIGHT posted by Drew Harbaugh on Thursday, January 25, 2001
- Looking for any information on great-grandparents Joseph and Gertrude (L'abbe) Slight, great-great-grandparents Charles and Catherine (Slater or Slaughter?) Slight, or beyond.
I know the families lived for some time in St. Mary's, PA. Gertrude (at the very least) was Catholic. Thanks very much!
Return to the Query/Surname Index Page
Return to the Elk County Home Page
(c) Elk County Genealogy Project