- CAMPBELL, SMITH posted by Frederick Hayward on Wednesday, April 4, 2001
- Frederick Smith is on the Tax List for Districts of Wesmoreland, Colony of Connecticut in August of 1776 in the North District " up the River" along with Jacob Bowman, Joshua Beebe, Peter and John Secord, Larraway, Millard, Pawling, VanAlystyne and others, all of whom later became Butler's Rangers. Frederick Smith is still on the 'Up the River" 2nd list in 1777. Frederick Smith , a native of Germany, had 300 acres on the Susquehana, but by 1783 he is listed in the census of Niagara with his three daughters, Mary ( who later married Sgt. Robt. Campbell), Margit, and Leah,and son Benjamin. Two sons were with him in Butler's Rangers but they are not identified by name. Does anyone have any additional information, especially wht happened to his wife?? and the names of his sons?
- SAHL, SAUL posted by Mary Ross on Friday, April 6, 2001
- Two sons of Leonhard Sahl, Sr., Leonhard, Jr. and Joseph Saul, were born in Westmoreland County in 1807 and 1809 respectively. I believe that another son, John Saul, may also have been born in Westmoreland about 1812, but have been unable to find a record of his birth. The Sauls migrated to Franklin County, Ohio in 1813 and some records indicate that John was born in Ohio. I'll appreciate any information or advice.
- RUDY, WURTZ posted by Susan Keller on Friday, April 6, 2001
- I am looking for two families, one in which Abraham Wurtz was a son and his eventual wife's (Nancy Rudy) family of which Daniel Rudy was the patriarch. My Greatgrandfather, Daniel Wurtz, left a letter stating that he thought Abraham's father's name was Christian. I can find no record of this or, actually, of the Wurtz or Rudy family in Westmoreland Co. but the letter states that Abraham was born there in about 1798. Anyone out there know of these families? Even if you have seen the names in passing please contact me. Thank you.
- HOARY, HORAY, HOREY posted by Delores Horay on Friday, April 6, 2001
- Looking for any info on Horay, Horey, Hoary. Molly Horay listed in Past Old Brush Creek Cemetary, d. 11 April, 1806 at age 61. Need any and all info. Please help.
- MCLAUGHLIN posted by Wendy Bolander on Saturday, April 7, 2001
- Looking for information regarding Robert McLaughlin b. 1776. Also, for Robert Fulton McLaughlin b. 1794 d. 1875 married to Catherine Ann Barricklow. Thank you.
- WEISTER posted by Regina on Wednesday, April 11, 2001
- Looking for any info on Rudolph Weister, born 1814, son of Rudolph Weister and Susan Fischer, or any other Weister family members.
- COLE posted by Lisa Anne McCratic on Thursday, April 12, 2001
- Looking for descendants of Jacob Cole (senior) and Christina (Christeen) maiden name unknown. They are shown in the 1850 Unity Township, Westmoreland County, PA census. Jacob is listed as being a broker, born in PA. Seven children are shown in this family. Sometime between the 1850 census and the Civil War, they move to Clay County, Indiana. I descend from their third child Jacob Cole (junior). Lisa
- BRADEN, CHAMBERS, LITTLE, LYLTE posted by Cindy Braden-elm on Thursday, April 12, 2001
- Braden-Little-Lytle-Chambers-researchingthe flollowing names- John Franklin Braden-Sarah Chambers-Braden(wife of John Franklin)-Franis Little-Lytle- time frame-1790-1890.
- MCELROY posted by R.L. McElroy on Friday, April 13, 2001
- DESCENDANTS OF JOSEPH J. MCELROY; I would appreciate any and all information you might provide about the descendants of Joseph J. McElroy. Joseph moved from Westmoreland to Mercer County after having lived in Westmoreland for many years. Children by his first wife JANE GREY were: Isabella, m. ? NIXON, John b. 1806 m. Elizabeth ?, David b. 1814, Hugh b 1815 m. Eleanora ARMSTRONG. Hugh and Eleanora's children were Alexander, Joseph G. b. 11/29/1845 m. 1st Margaret E. ROWAN 2nd Mary Elizabeth HAWK, John Armstrong b. 11/2/1847 m. Martha A. BOALE, David Alexander b. 2/18/1849 m. Sarah ROWAN, Adam Robert Smith b. 10/6/1857 m. Ida G., Mary Jane b 3/1/1861 m. Milton FREE, Sarah Anne b. 1867 m. James A. BOLE. Children by JOSEPH J. MCELROY and his second wife Jane McKEE were Joseph b. 1840 m Elizabeth COPELAND, Jane b. 1843 m. ? GARRETT, Elizabeth b. before 1843, James Renwich H. b 1846. Sincerely RLM
- CARLILE, CARLISLE posted by Cynthia on Friday, April 13, 2001
- Have traced my husbands line back to Fayette Co. Dunbar Township 1790. However, Fayette Co. was established in 1783...wondering if John and Daniel Carlisle/Carlile are in any records? Can't find them so far...they never applied for Naturalization in 1802..wonder if they were born here in Westmoreland? Advice is most welcome... thanks...
- FOWLER, ROBERTSON posted by F. Bradley on Friday, April 13, 2001
- I need help finding information on a Fowler family. They immigrated to the US in 1883. Daughter Margaret Fowler Roberton shows up in the 1900 Westmoreland Co. and 1910 Allegehney Co. censuses with her family. Does anyone have either of these records and can look up the Fowler family? In 1900 they lived in Sewickly (spelling?) Township, Westmoreland Co. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
- CAPLE, CAPLES posted by Toni Greene on Sunday, April 15, 2001
- Looking for information (death/birth) for Jacob M. Caple(s) and Winfield Scott Caples. Winfield was born between 1861-1863. If anyone has any connection please contact me at the above e-mail address.
- KUBIT posted by karen kubit on Monday, April 16, 2001
- Researching Kubit, Joseph and Sophia, Polish immigrants 1896 to Latrobe area, also Kubit, Jakob/Jacob and Sophie, 1st cousins? Have some info, any Kubit info will be appreciated, we all are related somehow!
- GREER posted by Jennifer on Monday, April 16, 2001
- Hi, I have been searching for an Isabell Greer who was born 1812 in Westmoreland County and Married Jacob Michael who was also from Westmoreland County. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
- DECKER, RODDY posted by Jill Roddy on Tuesday, April 17, 2001
- HI! I am looking for any info on Mary M DECKER (1800-1889). I have info that says she was born in Westmoreland County. She married John Roddy(1790- 1861) in Johnstown in 1820. Any info appreciated.
- CLARK posted by Barbara on Wednesday, April 18, 2001
- I'm looking for information on William and Mary Sebring Clark, who had a son John, born April 17,l825, in Westmoreland county, Penna.
- COCHRAN, LINT posted by Nancy Oles on Wednesday, April 18, 2001
- Am searching for information about my grandparents Jesse O. Lint and his wife Clara Chain both died in the 40's lived at R.D. #1 Scottdale, Pa. Their children names are Iantha(Peggy) Lint-Leasher-Hawk, Grace Lint-Durbin, Ida Lint-Hall, Albert Lint, Oscar Lint, Soloman Lint and Oliver Lint all deceased. My dad's cousin was a Dave Lint married to Hazel and lived in Dawson, Pa. both deaceased. would appreciate any information since I have no idea what my grand dad's parents names are. contact me at email@example.com thanks.
- MCDOWELL posted by Mark Momb on Wednesday, April 18, 2001
- Hi, I am trying to find out about Robert (I) McDowell dob 1730 dod 1784 Donegal Twp.Westmoreland Co. Wife Mary McCay Would like family info if he had brothers /sisters His family farmed in Ligonier Twp.Westmoreland Co. He had 9 Children. McDowell family married into : Best family, Keltz family. Thank you
- WOODS posted by Janet Dutton on Thursday, April 19, 2001
- Henry A.Woods was born in Redrock,Pa in1870 and died in New Kensington Pa in 1945. Is burid in Union cemetery. Clara M.Beyers- Woods was born in Germany and came to PA. when she was a small child. She died in New Kensington Pa also. I can not find this cemetery anywhere on the Internet.
- BEYERS, WOODS posted by Janet Dutton on Thursday, April 19, 2001
- Henry A. WOods was born in Redrock Pa.in 1870 and died in New Kensington Pa. in 1945. Clara M.Beyers, Woods was born in Germany and came to PA. as a small child and she died in 1956 in New Kensington Pa. Both are burid in Union Cemetery and I cann't find it anywhere on the Internet.
- MASTERS posted by Janet on Thursday, April 19, 2001
- Looking for information on Isaac Masters 1823-? m Rebecca Potts 1828-? Their children John M. 1848/49-1880, Caroline (Carrie) 1850, William L. 1856, Mary E. (Emma) 1859, Margery 1861 & Harry A. 1867. Especially information what I believe to be John Michael Masters m Elizabeth Emily Martin. Willing to exchange information. Can anyone help?
- BARNES, COCHRAN, COCHRANE posted by Karen Zeigler on Thursday, April 19, 2001
- Does anyone have information on these people? ISABEL COCHRAN, JAMES BARNES and MARGARET J. ? *buried in Presbyterian Cem.(?)Worthington, Pa
Isabel COCHRAN: 1794-1881
She was listed on the 1860 and 1870 censuses of W. Franklin Twp., Armstrong Co. Pa. She was listed in the household of James S. COCHRAN. I believe she may be his mother. He is my GGG Grandfather.
Her grave is in the same cemetary as James S. COCHRAN, John W. COCHRAN (James S.'s son), and James H. COCHRAN (John W.'s son). Their wives are buried there also and some other family.
I believe that James S. Cochran was born in Westmoreland County.
Her grave has the following stones on each side of hers. The stones match hers.
Margaret J (no last name on stone)
For further information on the Cochrans I am related to, please see my previous query under Cochran/Cochrane.
- BOYLE posted by Suzanne Boyle on Friday, April 20, 2001
- Seeking information about Felix Boyle born May 06, 1840 in County Donegal Ireland and died November 16, 1909 in Scottsdale, Pa Westmoreland Co. married to Margaret LoganApril 19, 1863 in Camden, Camden Co., N.J.. She was born in 1839 in Tyrone County Ireland and died April 10, 1925 in Pgh., Pa. They are buried in the St. Johns Cemetery plan 1 plot # D sec. 8 old cemetery. Felix was a yard boss at the coke works.
- DOUGHERTY, KING posted by Betty VanLeer on Saturday, April 21, 2001
- Searching for Nancy Dougherty, dau. of James Dougherty. she married a John King in either Westmoreland Co., or Armstrong Co. She is named in 1819 in her fathers will as Nancy King. She had siblings: Francis, James, Samuel, John, and Mary(Polly) who married John Craig SR., Francis went to Illinois, m. Christian Hill. James went to Ohio m. a Kirkpatrick, Samuel and John split the farm in Buffalo Twp, Armstrong Co., Pa. according to the will. Mary, James wife, was still alive in 1819. This was James second wife. I think she may have been a Hawkins. ANY help greatly appreciated. Have lots on this family and many, many descendants.
- EISAMAN posted by Christine Keltz on Saturday, April 21, 2001
- Does anyone have the book "The Eisaman Family of Hempfield Township, Westmoreland County, PA" available to do look-ups or have knowledge of the family to answer questions? Thanks, Christine
- BINKLEY, DAVIDSON, FRICK posted by Donna on Sunday, April 22, 2001
- Searching for info on John Davidson who married Elizabeth Frick and had daughter Carrie May (born 9 October 1874; died 25 January 1946). Carrie is listed on death certificate as being born in Westmoreland Co. Any info would be helpful.
- BARRON posted by Marge on Sunday, April 22, 2001
- Am searching for a link to the Barrons from the Donegal/Ligonier area. My ggrandmother, Rebecca Christina Barron Longanecker, was born 10/21/1857; died 10/31/1952; buried in West Newton Cemetery. Have two sisters photos listing as Kate Barron and Jane Barron Porch. Both photos taken at studios in Latrobe, PA, but have no futher info. Have nothing on the parents and/or siblings of these three sisters. Their father was an attorney in Greensburg, PA, and was to have owned a home somewhere on East Pittsburgh Street in the same town.
- GALVIN, LONYO, SCHWICKRATH posted by Ellen on Sunday, April 22, 2001
- Looking for any information regarding these surnames, ie cemetary stones, birth records, immigration, or marriage records. These would be somewhere in Hempfield county possibly. We have names of John R Galvin, Anna B Schwickrath, Catherine Lonyo and Mary and/or Alicia Hussey.
- ADDY, ROBINSON, SCALES posted by Richard Scales on Sunday, April 22, 2001
- I am interested in the surnames of
SCALES-- Elmer and Edith who were married 13 June 1904 and lived in Sutersville, Westmoreland Co. Pa
- BROMELOW posted by Dan Florence on Monday, April 23, 2001
- I am searching for the first wife of my great-great grandfather, Edward bromelow who came from England in 1882. His last child by his first wife was Issac Bromelow who was born on Sept. 14, 1886, in West Newton, Pa. in Westmoreland County. edward remarried after moving to Ohio. I believe his first wife died in Westmoreland County in childbirth with Issac and may be buried in West Newton. Her name may have been Jane Bromelow, born abt 1860, if my Engand Census of 1880 record is correct. If anyone runs across her in a Cemetery Record, please e-mail me. I am researching this for my 80 year old grandmother, who has always wondered what happened to her. THANKS
- CHAMP, CIAMPETTI posted by Margaret Sherwood on Monday, April 23, 2001
- I am trying to find out any information on John Champ. He may have also been known as John Ciampetti. John was a part owner in the Irwin Champ/Nash dealership. John had three childre; Regis, Roland and Margy. Any help would be appreciated.
- OWENS posted by Rick on Tuesday, April 24, 2001
- Hi I am looking for the parents of Eliza M. Owens [1876-1974] born in Sutersville. She married John Alvin Williamson and moved to Washington County PA, I believe.
- BARR posted by sharon barr lowry on Tuesday, April 24, 2001
- i am loking for anything on frank barr married to mary welsh.they had a son nameed oscar.
- CONDE, DICESERE, FELICE posted by Deb Miller on Thursday, April 26, 2001
- Looking for informationon Felice, Conde, DeCesere from Westmoreland County, PA. Thanks!
- HOUSTON, MCGUIRE posted by Tim McGuire on Thursday, April 26, 2001
- I am trying to locate more info on Daniel McGuire, Sr. born around 1816-1820 and died 1892 or 1893 and is buried at the Okobojo Cemetery in Sully County, South Dakota. His wife (name?) was born 1820 and died 1895 and is buried at Okobojo.
They had at least five children: Daniel Jr., Nelson, Emma, Belenda, and Harriet.
Daniel Jr. was born 7/10/1858 and died 7/15/1909 and is buried at Okobojo.
Daniel Jr. married Matilda Houston. She was the "only member of her family to ever come out West." She died in 1936 and is buried at Okobojo. Early in the spring of 1884 Daniel Sr. and his family arrived in Blunt, SD, coming from Latrobe, Pennsylvania.
- MCKAY, OBRIEN posted by Ed Butler on Friday, April 27, 2001
- Seeking information on descendants of Michael O'BRIEN and Mary McKAY O'Brien who were married in Crabtree in 1901. She was born in Scotland and was the daughter of Alexander and Catherine McKay who lived in Crabtree in 1901. Michael & Mary moved to West Virginia where he worked as a Mine Superintendent. My Grandmother was Michael's Sister and I have info on his family back to Ireland.
- ELDER posted by Nancy Elder Petersen on Friday, April 27, 2001
- Does anyone have more information about my possible ggg-grandfather: JOSEPH ELDER, b. 1770 Franklin Co PA settled in Westmoreland Co PA d. 1858? and His son, John ELDER, b. abt 1805
ROBERT, b. 1725 is believed to be the brother of David ELDER m. Margery Stewart, according to the handwritten chart , by Louise ELDER GILLISPIE found in the Philadelphia Historical Society.
I have transcribed some of those papers here: http://www.teleport.com/~nancyp/elder/RobToJos1807Will.htm and Photos of William Elder house in Franklin Co PA: http://www.teleport.com/~nancyp/elder/WmElderHouse.htm
- HROMYAK, LEDNEY posted by nancy olenik on Saturday, April 28, 2001
- searching for the Hromyak and/or Ledney families.
- HOFFER posted by Denny Kendall on Sunday, April 29, 2001
- I am looking for information on Samuel Hoffer I think that he had a brother George and there parents were John Hoffer and Anna Hoffer.
Return to the Query/Surname Index Page
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project