- KENDERES posted by Jean Schmidt on Friday, June 2, 2000
- I would appreciate any help I can get regarding the above name. My grandfather,JANOS KENDERES, came to this country on April 18, 1902 on the S.S.Koln out of Bremen.He is listed on the passenger manifest as going to his brother, GYORGY KENDERES, in Middletown, PA. I didn't think finding Gyorgy would be difficult, but on the location database, I find there are 20 listings for Middletown, PA. I have no idea where to begin, except for the fact that my g'father, on the 1910 census, lived in Leisenring #3, (Fayette Co.) and died there in 1948. I can find no record of Gyorgy (George) KENDERES in Fayette Co. Can anyone help? Thanks so much. jean schmidt firstname.lastname@example.org
- COCHRAN, SOUSLEY posted by Maryanne MIlls on Saturday, June 3, 2000
- In 1790, there is a David Sousley in Mount Pleasant Township, Westmoreland County. Is this the David Sousley who served in the Pennsylvania Regiment with John Finley and who later moved to the Blue Licks area of Fleming County, Kentucky?
David may be named George David Sousley since he also had a son of this name. The son was born about 1789 in Pennsylvania. He married Isabella Cochran, the daughter of Robert Cochran. This line of Cochrans comes from Chester County, Pennsylvania.
The 1800 Berks County, Pennsylvania census lists a George Sousley with 2 sons under age 10, and 3 daughters under age 10.
Does anyone have information about David Sousley or George Sousley or George David Sousley? I am also researching the Cochrans.
- COOK, CROW posted by Barbara Crow on Sunday, June 4, 2000
- I am searching for any information on the parents of Louis Crow and the grandparents of Lewis Crow. I have been lead to believe that Louis' parents possibly are William and Sarah (Ward) Crow. I have pictures of family from the late 1800's from Mount Pleasant and West Newton, Pa.. Some of these pictures could be of my grandmothers' family the Cooks'. One of the pictures is of Joe and Rebecca with no last name. My gfather Louis Crow moved to Illinois in the late 1800's and married my gmother in the early 1900's in southern Ill.. He was killed a few months after marriage. He is buried in southern Illinois. If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you....
- BECK, KIRKLAND, MCFADDEN, PAINTER, POWELL posted by John Powell on Sunday, June 4, 2000
- I'm looking to share info on Powell, Kirkland, McFadden, Painter, Beck and Clark families.
The region of PA includes Armstrong Co., Jefferson Co. & Westmoreland Co.
Isaac Kirkland, Lowery Kirkland, William Oscar Powell, Gertrude Beck, Eva Mcfadden, John Samuel Painter, Harriett Clark Painter, Kate (Clark) Painter.
- BIDDISON, CARPENTER, CHENEY, HUTCHISON, TWADDLE posted by Stephanie on Monday, June 5, 2000
- I am searching for records to verify a James Hutchison that was married to Jane Kelly. They had children: Matthew, Mary, Jane, Nancy, Betsy, Virginia, Daniel, William, Jimsey and Isabella. I am willing to share information to any interested.
- HOAK, JOHNS, NOEL, PIERCE, STEFFEY, STIFFY posted by Kathy Walker on Tuesday, June 6, 2000
- I have been trying to find information about Edward William Steffey and Mary Catherine Johns Steffey.
Edward can be found in the 1880 census (Westmoreland Cty., Loyalhanna Twp., PA) living with Conrad Steffy whose age suggests that he may be the father. The census also shows that Conrad's father was born in Virginia.
Stiffy, Conrad age 67
Sarah age 68
John age 19
Elizabeth age 15
Stiffy, E. W. age 30
Mary C age 20
Sarah J age 1
Children of Edward William and Mary Catherine (Johns) Steffey/Stiffy:
Sarah Jane 1879
James John 1880
William Conrad b. 1883 d. 1942
married Millie Mabel Pierce in Dec. 1905
Fanny Marie b. 1885
Twins: Lewis Calvin & Lee Frances b. 1888
Samuel Frank b. 1890
Mary Elsie Bell b. 1891
Robert Albert b. 1893
Rose Myrtle b. 1898
Since my grandfather's name was William Conrad, I think I have a connection here!
Do any of these names connect with your line? I would love to exchange information.
- CLINGAN posted by Wally Clingan on Tuesday, June 6, 2000
- My name is Wally Clingan. I am interested in knowing all there is to know about any Clingan you may know about who has lived in PA. I am looking right now for a Martha E.Clingan b.c.11840 who married an M.R. Meanor in Westmoreland County PA if you know something you would share please write me at: email@example.com
- KREMPASKY, LANCASTER, SATTALO posted by Terry Rushing on Thursday, June 8, 2000
- Researching John Sattalo b. 1867 came to US in 1900. Had a son name Remingo b. 1896 in Italy, he came to US with his mother and brother(Servo) in 1903. They lived around Jacobs Creek. They were on the 1920 census, but can't read all the names of children.
- COX, DAUGHTERY posted by Jesse Cox on Thursday, June 8, 2000
- In Mt Pleasent on 11 Jun 1885, Alonzo James Cox wed Suzzanna Daugherty,daughter of William Daugherty and Amanda Hoffman.They resided in Jeannette and produced 14 offspring.This is my lineage.Looking for Suzzanna's parents.
- CLEVER, DEGROFF, GEORGE, KENNEDY posted by Melissa on Thursday, June 8, 2000
- Looking for Michael and Eave DeGROFF of Lower Burrell, Westmoreland Co., PA. Also surnames GEORGE, KENNEDY & CLEVER.
- CALDWELL posted by Jeanette McKinney on Saturday, June 10, 2000
- I am looking the Caldwell's in Westmoreland and Indiana co. My gggg frandparents are James b. 1728 d. 7-11-1817 m Rebecca or sarah. Children Ann m. Herron, Sarah m White, John (my ggg grandparents) b. 7-25-1787 d. 10-4-1856 m Jane Ann Repine in 1807, b. March 1786, d. 3-25-1879, Elizabeth b. 1790, Margaret, Children of John and Jane Ann Repine are, Charlotte b. 2-7-1809 d. 2-22-1833 m. Ben Donahue, Rebecca b. 3-2-1811 d. 11-18-1895 m. John Wilson, James b. 3-4-1813 d. March of 1846 or 47, Virginia Jane b. 4-22-1815 d. 11-9-1909 m. William Dick d. 6-8-1871, Margaret b. 7-26-2817 d. 7-26-1833, William (my gg grandparents) b. 716-1819 d. 12-15-1893 m. Sarah Clark, Sarah b. 12-20-1822 m. John Spires b. 1821, Elizabeth b. 5-10-1825 d. 4-1872 m. James Cunningham, Mary Anna b. 11-22-1828 d. 4-13-1909 never married, John Repine b. 10-2-1830 d 4-10-1897 m. (1)Ellen Creamer, (2) Lydia Lafferty, Joseph Loughry b. 2-13-1834 d. 2-11-1909. I have more information if it will help anybody. William and Virginia Dick also had a daughter who married O.P Shupe he had a grain, flour and mill feed in Mt. Pleasant, Pa. Can anybody help me with any information. Thank You.
- HUTCHESON posted by Peggy on Saturday, June 10, 2000
- Mt. Pleasant, 1790 Westmoreland Census: Hutcheson, James 1-2-3-0-0. Does anyone have information on the family of James Hutcheson, as listed in the 1790 census?
- HUTCHESON posted by Peggy on Saturday, June 10, 2000
- Donegal Twp. 1790 Census: George HUTCHESON, 1-3--. Does anyone have information on George Hutcheson's family?
- GOODSPEED, PRETNER posted by Edie Goodspeed on Monday, June 12, 2000
- Looking for info about Andrew&Mary Pretner from Westmoreland. Mary worked at Jeannett Glass factory. They had daughter Matilda m/William Goodspeed and had 2 sons. Any info would be great! Doing family tree and hit a roadblock.
- DOLAN posted by Marcia Lee on Monday, June 12, 2000
- researching sadie and john dolan from mt.pleasant
- ECHARD posted by Marcia Lee on Monday, June 12, 2000
- researching ECHARD from mt.pleasant
- GINCA, KOLODZIEJ posted by Sandra Yorkell-Parker on Monday, June 12, 2000
- Am looking for descendants of Anna Kolodziej Ginca. She was living in Pittsburgh in 1932 when her sister Estelle died in Massachusetts. Is there anyone out there that is related to this woman. Please write me as I am looking for this family and am willing to share what little I have. She was one of six children. They were Taeodore, Edward, Sophie, Catherine, Estelle and of course Anna. Any help that anyone can giove me with this family would be greatly appreciated.
- LAMISON, PATTON posted by Ron Corso on Monday, June 12, 2000
- I'm searching for descendants of my great grandfather Marion L PATTON wife Lucinda LAMISON born 1864 in E Franklin around Tarrtown ? Had relatives around Mosgrove they had a hotel
- AINSCOUGH, CALLAGHAN, DUNLAP, KINKAID, WINGARD posted by Katie Anderson on Tuesday, June 13, 2000
- My G Grandfather and his brothers and sisters lived in Derry, PA. William Patrick Callaghan was born 1878 to parents Robert Edward Callaghan from Ireland and Annie Hesketh from England(remarried James Ainscough). William's brothers and sisters were Teresa Wingard, Agnes Kinkaid, Catherine Dunlap, Joseph Callaghan, and John Callaghan. Some are buried in Derry. Any info on this family line would be appreciated!
- ROSS posted by Gwendolyn Bailey on Wednesday, June 14, 2000
- Looking to find the maiden name of the wife of James Ross b. 12 Oct 1819. The only information I have is that her name was Sarah b. 1819. Would appreciate any help.
- CRISWELL posted by Jean Criswell on Wednesday, June 14, 2000
- Looking for information on John King McCurdy Criswell b. Feb 27, 1840 in West Moreland Pa. d. 1914 in Marion Co. Ohio. Married Marian Priscilla Amsley in Aug 19, 1861 in Pa. He was the son of David Criswell and Margaret Jackson of Pa. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank You Jean, Ohio
- KLAPCHAR, LOVEC, OGRINC, OWENS, VALES, ZGAVAC, ZGAVEC posted by Rock Lovec on Wednesday, June 14, 2000
- Looking for information about the following individuals whom lived in Latrobe, PA between 1905 and 1915:
-Vincent Vales and Anna Poholle Vales
-Andrew Ogrinc (died about 1914 and buried in Latrobe) and Mary Vales Ogrinc
-Joseph R. Zgavec (or Zgavac or Lovec)
-Frank Klapchar and Josephine Vales Klapchar
-John Vales (or Wallace)
-Herman Vales (or Wallace)
-Willet Owens and Anna M. Vales Owens
- ALTMAN, ECK, KUHNS, KUNKLE, SHANER, WALTHOUR posted by Kathy Walker on Thursday, June 15, 2000
- I am searching for information in regard to Johann Kuhns and family living in Westmoreland County, PA (Irwin, Adamsburg, Jeanette area)
Johann and Catharina Kuhns both b. abt 1820
Sarah A. b. 2 November 1840
Heirich b. 19 April 1843
Samuel b. 13 July 1846
There may be additional children.
If you connect with this family, please contact me.
- MILLER posted by Richard Johnson on Saturday, June 17, 2000
- Information wanted on 8th Pennsylvania Line, Rev.War. I am familiar with the National Archives Military Records and the Pennsylvania Archives. What I am looking for is any mention of the 8th PA. Line. or members of this Regiment in books, family records, Pension Records, etc. Am especially interested in John MILLER, who was a Drummer in the 8th. PA Line.
- TAYLOR posted by Teddy-Jo Headrick on Sunday, June 18, 2000
- I am looking for Henry Judson Taylor born 1859 in Sewickley Township, Westmoreland County, Pa. His parents were Mordecai Taylor II and Emily Squibb. Henry married Emma Alice Lear, who was born in Robins Station, Pa. They had 7 children - Mordecai Caleb III, Anna, Lelia, Abraham, Jilphai, Charles, and Daniel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
- ROADMAN posted by S Driggers on Sunday, June 18, 2000
- Information on a Elizabeth Roadman who died in 1820 age 62 years. She is buried in Lycippus Cemetery. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
- HEFT, KARNS, KEGG, MEARKLE, SCHAFER, SHAW, SNYDER posted by Jean Ladd on Monday, June 19, 2000
- WESTMORELAND CO & SURROUNDING AREA:
BEDFORD COUNTY - FAMILY PICTURE COPIES NEEDED
In order to complete a Family History Book[s] we are attempting to find pictures from which copies could be made of the following persons from your family lines or in the "larger" area of Bedford Co., PA -- which in earlier years might have included several of the surrounding counties:
GEORGE MEARKLE [1817-1896] & NANCY SHAFFER [1816-1887]
HENRY MEARKLE [1771 - 1842] & LOVIS STECKMAN [1781 - 1861]
JOHN SHAFFER, JR [ABT 1790 - ? ] & SUSANNA AMICK [ABT 1803 - ? ]
JOHN HEFT KARNS [1823 - 1889] & RACHEL HIXSON [ 1824 - 1893]
JACOB KARNS [ABT 1785] & MARGARET HEFT [ABT 1800 - 1868]
JAMES HENRY SHAW [1859 - 1934] & EMILY KARNS [1856 - 1891]
.....................2nd wife EMMA I. SMITH [1867 - 1896]
.....................3rd wife Adaline (Adelaid) MELLOT[T] [1869 - 1940]
If you have copies of ANY of the above, we'd appreciate a contact to learn IF and HOW it might be possible to obtain a copy of the pictures. Thanks,
- DOLVIN posted by Jerry Dolvin on Monday, June 19, 2000
- Has anyone run across this surname in Westmoreland County in the late 1700's
- MICK posted by Phyllis on Monday, June 19, 2000
- I am trying to locate any information on an Elizabeth Susanna MICK, christened at the First Lutheran Church, Greensburg, Westmoreland Co., PA, 18 May 1832. Her father was Adam and mother Susanna. Any information on this family would be appreciated.
- RAINSBARGER, RAINSBERG, RAMSBERG, RAMSBURG, RAMSBURGH, RAMSPERGER, REMSBERG, REMSBURG, RIEMENSPER, RIEMENSPERGER, ROMESBERG, ROMESBURG, ROOMSBURG posted by Carol Randall on Monday, June 19, 2000
- Researching the ROMESBERG families of Westmoreland and other counties in PA Surname variations: RAMSBERG, RAMSBURG, RAMSBURGH, RAMSPERGER,REMSBERG, REMSBURG, RAINSBERG, RAINSBARGER, RIEMENSPERGER, ROMESBERG, ROMESBURG, ROOMSBURG All correspondence answered Carol Randall firstname.lastname@example.org
- KNESS, TURNEY posted by Bridget Enderby on Tuesday, June 20, 2000
- I am looking for any information on Minnie Turney family and Frank Kness families. These were my great grandparents. I can find no information on Minnie's family except that I know she had 2 brothers Elmer and Milton.Please help me if you can.
- HEIDEMAN, LEONARD posted by Michelle Gentry-Hagan on Tuesday, June 20, 2000
- I am searching for descendants of GILLES JOSEPH & HENRIETTA (DUPONT) LEONARD. They were Belgian immigrants that settled in Westmoreland County. The 1900 Westmoreland County Census shows them living in Rostraver Township, Monessen Borough.
GILLES JOSEPH LEONARD b. 1847 Belgium, shoemaker
HENRIETTA (DUPONT) LEONARD b. 1855 Belgium
JULIA b. 1881 in Belgium,
JOSEPPH b. 1882 in Belgium,
JOHN b. 1884 in Belgium,
FRANK b. 1886 in Belgium,
MARY b. 1888 in PA,
LOUISE b. 1891 in PA,
JULES b. 1892 in PA,
ELMER b. 1894 in PA,
JOSEPHINE b. 1896 in PA &
HENRIETTA b. 1898 in PA.
I believe the three oldest sons may have stayed in Westmoreland County after the family moved to Ohio sometime after 1903.
I have a photograph of the family taken ca 1902 on my web site. I am interested in correponding with anyone with information about this family.
- REDRICK posted by Cindy Beatty on Wednesday, June 21, 2000
- Searching for information on Harry George Redrick. He was born in 1891 near Latrobe, Pennsylvania in Westmoreland Co. He always claimed to be an orphan. Any clues or information would be highly welcome.
- LEASURE, LEISURE posted by Carol Verbeek on Wednesday, June 21, 2000
- HELP!! I'm looking for the parents and siblings for Jane Leasure/Leisure born 1810/1812 Pa. Married 14 Jan 1830 Greenburg, Westmoreland co. Pa to John Strouse born about 1800. They move to Ohio. any help would be a great help to me thank for your time,Carolo
- ESHELMAN, TAYLOR, WAUGAMAN posted by Ross Eyer on Friday, June 23, 2000
- Seeking information on J. R. TAYLOR, who resided in Scottdale, PA in the 1880's. He is listed in the 1880 census as a Dry Goods Merchant, along with his wife, Mary, (maiden name Eshelman), a daughter, Cora, a son, Harry, & a brother, George. In 1882 a daughter, Myrtle, was born. In 1883 his wife, Mary, dies. Is this the same John R. TAYLOR who married Miss Mattie Waugaman of Delmont after Mary's death ? Any information regarding this will be very much appreciated.
- ALTMAN, DOBLER, SCHWAB posted by Arlene Hackman on Friday, June 23, 2000
- Searching for information about John Michael Altman, son of John Peter and Christina, b. 11 May 1772, Westmoreland Co, PA, d. _____. m. _____ to Elizabeth Schwab, b. ____, d. ____. Parents of Jacob Altman, b. 12 Apr 1801, Westmoreland Co, d. 10 Mar 1888 and buried in Zion Church Cem, E. Huntington Twp, Westmoreland Co. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
- STEWART posted by Denise Kohls on Saturday, June 24, 2000
- Looking for information on Jacob and Rachel Stewart. Children: John, Benjamin, Charles, Jacob, Silas, Berichiah, Edith, Mary, Elizabeth and Hannah. Grandson Jacob. Last will & testament for Jacob written December 17, 1834. Very interested in the Charles. This family started in Fairfield or Derry Westmoreland Co. PA
- HARVESTON posted by Susie Hawk on Saturday, June 24, 2000
- John Harveston was listed in Donegal Twp., pg. 287 of the 1830 census for Westmorland Co. Can anyone help me get the full listing of that entry? I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
- DOWNARD, FORSYTHE, LAUGHLIN posted by Michael Bayless on Saturday, June 24, 2000
- Seeking additional information on the following: William Anderson Downard b:c1749, Peter Laughlin d:1802 and William Forsythe b:1718. Their families eventually settled in the Pendleton County, Kentucky area.
- LITZENBERGER posted by Ray Dobbs on Monday, June 26, 2000
- William Litzenberger and wife Anna J had 11 children, ten boys and one girl. They are reported to be buried in the Ligonier area. Looking for information on the daughter Viola S. Litzenberger. Her brother's names listed on the 1900 census as Victor, Frank, Joseph, William JR, Clarence and Raymond. A boarder Feliz Baurer age 23 is also listed on the 1900 census - maybe Anna J's younger brother?
- KENESIE posted by Amanda Haft on Monday, June 26, 2000
- I am researching my great grandparents, John Kenesie, and Theresa Ostovich Kenesie. Also several of their children whom I believe were born and died in Herminie, PA. Names Ann Kenesie and Irma Kenesie. ANY information you can give would be much appreciated!
- EALES, SHORT posted by Barbara Lorensen on Monday, June 26, 2000
- I'm looking for information on these two names. Eales and Short from the Westmoreland County area . Thomas Williams Eales married to Sarah Jane Black Eales.Thomas 1868-1945, Sarah 1872-1956. John Short Sr. 1768, Jacob Short 1801-1885, Levinia Kuhn Short....I have other information but wonder if there is anyone out there who can give me more....Thanks Barb
- CRUSAN, HENDERSON posted by Barbara Lorensen on Monday, June 26, 2000
- Hello all, I'm looking for information on Albert Henderson and Ida Bell Crusan, Henderson's family. All I know is that Albert died on June 28, 1933 and Ida Bell was born Nov. 13, 1859 and Died Dec. 25, 1884....I also know one of there children was Cecil Weldon Henderson married to Margaret Virginia Short.....Can any one help me? You can e-mail me at LLLORENSEN@KTIS.NET Thank You Barb
- MCNEAL, NEHRI posted by Linda Jackson on Thursday, June 29, 2000
- I have in my possession a framed original Marriage Certificate for "George S. McNeal of Pittsburgh, PA and Marrilla E. Nehri of New Kensington, PA. ... 24 day of December 1917 ... There is not a location mentioned. I bought it at a garage sale - too precious to pass up. If you are one of their descendants, I hope you will contact me and we'll make arrangements for mailing.
- BLACK, EALES posted by Barbara Lorensen on Thursday, June 29, 2000
- I'm looking for information on Charles Dallas Eales married to Louise Jellison Eales children were Thomas and Charlotte. Charles was born Aug. 12, 1909 in Bolivar, Pa. died Feb. 1980 in Beaver, Pa. he was the son of Thomas William and Sarah Jane (Black) Eales..
- PISARCIK, STEFANIK posted by Pat Stefnik on Friday, June 30, 2000
- Where do I look for 1895 birth records if one was born in West Apollo? I looked in Greenburg and also Kittaning. What township would be in West Apollo? Would it be Oklahoma, Bell, I have searched the 1900 census and not sure where to look. The family aren't in Apollo borough. It is different than West Apollo. Confused because part of Apollo is in Armstrong Co?
- WILLIAMS posted by Helen Hauschild on Friday, June 30, 2000
- Am seeking information about Hannah Williams who resided on what is now known as the Baughman farm near West Newton, Pa. The year of birth may be 1778 (probably in Westmoreland County.} She was married to Joseph VanKirk who came from New Jersey as an early settler in Westmoreland around 1768. He was reportedly baptised in 1750 and died in in l845 or 1846. Of Hannah, we know nothing.
- STEFFEY, STEFFY, STIFFY posted by Kathy Walker on Friday, June 30, 2000
- I am searching for information about Conrad Steffey/Steffy/Stiffy b. abt 1813/15 in PA.
He is found in the 1880 census for Loyalhanna Twp., Westmoreland Cty:
Conrad Stiffy age 67
Sarah age 68
John age 19
Elizabeth age 15
He is found in the 1860 census in Wayne Twp., Armstrong Cty:
Conrad Steffy age 45 laborer born PA
Sarah age 38
Isaac L. age 16
Jacob age 14
Edward age 10
Sarah A. age 8
James age 3
Judging by the parents' ages, there are probably older children that I have yet to find!
I cannot find Conrad in the census index for 1850.
Conrad's father was born in Virginia.
I would love to hear from you if you have any information about this family.
Return to the Archived
Query/Surname Index Page
Return to the Query/Surname Index Page
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project