- CUMMINS posted by Pat Cummins on Saturday, April 1, 2000
- I am looking for information on my gggrandfather, John Cummins, born about 1794 in Westmoreland Co., PA, migrated to Franklin Co., IN in 1816. May have married an Anna Smoley in PA. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
- CAMPBELL, HEILBERN, SANDS, VANCE, ZUFALL posted by Kristie Sands on Saturday, April 1, 2000
- I am searching for the family of DANIEL CAMPBELL, my great-great-grandfather. Daniel was born c.1860 in Latrobe. He married Charlotte "Lottie" ZUFALL (b.29 Sept 1874, Jefferson Co., PA; d.15 Feb 1941, Carmichaels, Greene Co., PA; d/o Alexander ZUFALL and Elizabeth Williams HEILBERN). I would like to know the names of his parents.
- GOWER, KUNKLE, PATRICKSON, USHER posted by David Kelly on Saturday, April 1, 2000
- Usher to America 1926 David Kelly : Saturday, April 01, 2000
House of Usher
I would just like to share this story because my Grandma (born 1912) just told me about her mother Ann Usher (born September 09, 1883; Bewicke Main, nr Birtley, Durham, England) who had six brothers (All the lads were footballers), and in the 1926 Great Strike, her favourite brother George and his wife Nellie (Gower) went to Pennsylvania, America to escape the poverty of a mining community in Durham northern England (sorry no millionaires in this family).
He was a union official. Ganny Ann had a nightmare during the night, woke up and said she had had a terrible dream that George was drowning and the next day a cablegram came saying he had died of pneumonia. My Grandma can remember her mother's grief to this day.
I just post this in case some other descendant is out there, (son Leonard and Daughter Ivy who married a Kunkle) this is one story I would like to share with you now.
As my Grandma says, she is the only one left of her generation to remember these stories!
Kinship of Robert Coxon Usher
Name Relationship with Robert Usher Civil Canon
Dodd, Kathleen Mary Great-granddaughter III 3
Dodd, Thomas Parker Husband of the granddaughter
Gower, Nellie Daughter-in-law
Kelly, David John 2nd great-grandson IV 4
Kelly, John Trevor Husband of the great-granddaughter
Kelly, Richard Trevor 2nd great-grandson IV 4
Kunkle, abc Husband of the granddaughter
Patrickson, Elizabeth Wife
Robinson, Elizabeth Granddaughter II 2
Robinson, James Son-in-law
Robinson, Martha Granddaughter II 2
Robinson, Mary Granddaughter II 2
Usher, Ann Daughter I 1
Usher, George Son I 1
Usher, Ivy Granddaughter II 2
Usher, John Son I 1
Usher, Leonard Son I 1
Usher, Leonard Grandson II
Usher, Mary Daughter I 1
Usher, Robert Son I 1
Usher, Robert Coxon Self 0
Usher, Samuel Son I 1
Usher, Sarah Daughter I 1
Usher, Susan Daughter I 1
Usher, William Son I 1
- PAINTER posted by Karin Kadar on Saturday, April 1, 2000
- Has anyone ever heard of Belmont Homestead located in or near West Newton, PA?
- SNYDER posted by William Snyder on Saturday, April 1, 2000
- Request info of Gale Snyder ssn232-09-2939 born 12/28/1896. Died 1987 Believed to be my Dad.never knew him or anything about him.Any help you can give me or tell me how to research the name I would appreate.
- BECKNER posted by Linda Squires on Saturday, April 1, 2000
- Looking for my great-great-grandmother, Mary A. Beckner, d. 1910, and is buried in Alverton Cemetery, Alverton, PA. She was married to John F. Kane,and their children were Edward, Alice, and Simon who are all buried beside her.
- MILLER posted by Ruthann Horner Peirona on Sunday, April 2, 2000
- I am looking for Amos MILLER, born 1821 in Westmoreland County. He married Charlotte Patterson. Children of Amos were: Catherine, David, Martha, Mollie, Josephine, Amanda, Charlotte and Kramer P. MILLER..
- CASEY, MARTZ, WAUGAMAN posted by Bill Waugaman on Sunday, April 2, 2000
- I am searching for the family of Jacob Waugaman b 1802, married Polly Mary Martz b in 1807, they married in 1823. A son George married Bridget Casey another son Henry was my great grandfather,he moved to Scioto Co. Oh. I think Jacob and Polly lived in Apollo or Lower Burrell Twp. Will exchange information I have on Henry.
- BECKMAN posted by Jean Nulty on Sunday, April 2, 2000
- Searching for info on CHRISTOPHER BECKMAN, b. abt 1792, imm. from Hannover, Germany. First reference found in 1870 census Unity Twp of Westmoreland Co. His son, Henry G., (my great grandfather) relocated to Altoona, PA and upon his death in 1918 returned to Westmoreland and is buried at St Vincent's College. Have sketchy info on other sons of Christopher.
- HULL, LARIMER posted by Marilynn Wienke on Monday, April 3, 2000
- Jane Hull daughter of Levi Hull and Jane Fry of Westmoreland Co., Pa was b 1827 d Feb 10, 1873 m John Larimer b 1794 d Dec 26, 1873. Need children and burial sites..
- MABES posted by Harvey Bell on Monday, April 3, 2000
- Any information - CHRISTIAN and MARY MABES, in Westmoreland Co. PA ca 1834. My Great-great, grandfather. JOHN MABES, born there 7/27/1834. Family immigrated to Indiana ca 1839.
- WENTZEL posted by Bruce Koons on Tuesday, April 4, 2000
- Does anyone have information on the WENTZEL surname in Westmoreland during the 1700's and early 1800's? Names of interest: Philip WENTZEL, Michael WENTZEL and George WENTZEL. They were members of Lutheran and Reformed churches in the Greensburg area. Philip WENTZEL married (2) Anna Maria LAUFFER. Michael may have been married to Elizabeth GRAUSHAAR.
- BARNHART, HALL posted by Al Barnhart on Tuesday, April 4, 2000
- Anything on David, Mary, Noah or any Barnharts late 1800`s or early 1900`s i Derry or Latrobe area.Also William A., Susan, or Sara Mae Hall.
- BYERLY, HULL, MAY, NICEWONGER, RICHARDS, SCOTT, SHEARER, STEWART posted by Marilynn Wienke on Wednesday, April 5, 2000
- Levi Hull m Jane Fry and had the following children:
Henry m Miss Richards
Levi never married
John m Susan Byerly and Jane Coleman Shearer/Sherer
George m Rachel Scott
Elizabeth m Mr. May
Sina m Alexander Stewart
Margaret Elizabeth m Col. Joseph Nicewonger
I have children for John, George and Margaret Elizabeth..
- SHALLENBARGER, WALKER posted by Isaac Pearl on Wednesday, April 5, 2000
- I am looking for more family ties to Christian Walker born Nov.4, 1806 died Oct.17, 1860. He was joined in marriage Sept.23, 1827 by John Vance in Westmoreland Co., Pa. to Barbara Shallenbarger. Barbara was born Oct. 1, 1811 died June 16, 1858. She was the daughter of Christine (Baker) and Shallenbarger. They had the following children: Barbara, Nancy B., Elizabeth, John, Henry, Andrew (my grandmother's father), Sarah, Susannah, George, Jacob, Ashford, Margaret, Thomas, Daniel, David, & Willis.
Henry died in a prison camp during the Civil War.
George was killed in the battle of Fredericksburg during the Civil War.
Jacob was wounded in the left arm in the battle of Fredericksburg during the Civil War.
For further information on the children of Christian and Barbara Walker, contact Isaac Pearl, email@example.com.
- LARIMER posted by Kathy Hurley on Wednesday, April 5, 2000
- I live near the town of Larimer. I used to work with a man named Jake Larimer, in fact just saw him the other day. If there is anything I can help you with, let me know. The Wesmoreland County Historical Society has a lot of info on families and ancestries from here. They are located in the Garden Center in Greensburg..
- LOGAN, WINELAND posted by Linda Carmichael on Wednesday, April 5, 2000
- Hi Larry I think I can be of help to you. I have your William B wineland in my data base. I am researching the Logan line. Please feel free to visit our web site and also our database with all the names. you will fine our database on the left hand side of the opening page of our site. Please let me know what you think and I hope we can be of more help to one another. http://www.teleport.com/~mattc Carmichael Family OnLine. if you have any question please feel free to ask. I look forward to hearing from you
- HARMAN, HUMM, RICKARD posted by Anne Veasey on Wednesday, April 5, 2000
- I am looking for any information on William C. Rickard, David Rickard, Philip Harman, Catherine Harman, and Elizabeth Humm. I have some information on these people and would be happy to correspond with anyone researching them.
- LYONS, MCCONNEL, MCKEE, PATTERSON, PIERCE, ROBINSO posted by Don on Wednesday, April 5, 2000
- Looking for information on the McKee family of Hempfield Township. Specifically, Samuel McKee d. 1780. Wife Margaret remarried John VESEY. McKee children: David d<1814; Samuel m Nancy McConnel(?); Mary m William Lyons; Elizabeth m Edward Pierce; Margaret m James Patterson; Sarah m John Robinson; Nancy m John McConnel; Robert m Martha (?). Any help greatly appreciated.
- HOOD posted by Judith Hood-Yandle on Wednesday, April 5, 2000
- Need further information on a James Hood, born Dec 1802 in Connellsville, Westmoreland, PA. Father: John Hood, born in Ireland. Mother Hannah Page, born in Princeton, NJ.
- HOOD posted by Judith Hood-Yandle on Wednesday, April 5, 2000
- Looking for the family of a James Ralph Hood, Sr. listed as being born in PA in the 1850 Fleming County, KY Census. This would put him born around 1778 as his age is listed as 72.
His son, James Ralph Hood, Jr. lists his birthplace as Ohio. Only other known child of JR, Sr. is Rosanna.
ANY Hood replies would be appreciated. I am stonewalled!
- MCDONALD, SHANNER, WILEY posted by Rick on Thursday, April 6, 2000
- Looking for info on the McDonalds of Sewickley Twp.Westmoreland Co. John SR. McDonald married Elizabeth Wiley (Feb.28,1822) d/o Sampson Wiley and Jane McGrew. Their son John Jr. married Ann Shanner still looking for info on her parents.I have a list of their children and John Jr. Will. John Sr. died Jan. 25, 1842 buried were? It is also believe that John SR. father is Alexander Sr. and his father is John who's father is William McDonald. Would like to find proof of this. anyone with connection please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Thank You Rick Lewis.
- SALATA posted by Brian Milas on Thursday, April 6, 2000
- Looking for information on Paul Salata, married Trauger, PA 1905
- BIRKELBACH, COLYER, TARRAN posted by Bill Sharp on Thursday, April 6, 2000
- Any information on the surnames posted is sincerely appreciated.
- ERMIL posted by John Carey on Thursday, April 6, 2000
- Have ancestor, Barbara Ermil (early 1800's), trying to find out more.- Unity or Mt. Pleasant Twp.
- ARMEL, ARMIL posted by John Carey on Thursday, April 6, 2000
- Have ancestor, Barbara Armil (earlr 1800's), trying to find out more.
- MILLER posted by Amanda Foringer on Thursday, April 6, 2000
- i'm looking for information on Peter Miller b:July 9, 1795 d:April 1877 limestone twp. clarion co. he was married to Elizabeth b:abt 1800 died after the 1880 census. i only know of one child for certain
Peter Jr. b:1823 Westmoreland County d:July 8, 1900 limestone twp. clarion co. m:Rebecca b:abt 1829 d:Dec 11, 1867
i think these are their children also but i have no proof
George b:abt 1821
Abraham b:abt 1825
Thomas any help on this family would be great!
- LITTLE, LYTLE posted by Cindy Braden-Elm on Friday, April 7, 2000
- Hi, sorry to bother you , but I was wondering if Margaret Little had a sister named Isabella, and a father named Francis ? I know very little about this family. Can we share info ? Cindy Braden-Elm email@example.com.
- LYTLE-LITTLE posted by Cindy Braden-Elm on Friday, April 7, 2000
- I am looking for the family of Isabella Lytle ( Little) born 1700'S ? Wife of John Braden born 1781? Isabella is listed on the will of her father Francis Little from 1803-Fairfield Twp. Any info on this family will help, we know nothing except what we have found on this will, and Isabella's children.
- BRADEN, CHAMBERS posted by Cindy Braden-Elm on Friday, April 7, 2000
- I am looking for the family of Sarah E. Chambers-Braden born April 1,1859-possibly Westmoreland Co. She Married John Franklin Braden of Latrobe,Pa. They lived in Johnstown, PA, from 1881- 1890. Sarah died there August 28,1890 and is burried in Grandview Cem. We know nothing about Sarah's family. Would love any info !!
- BUCHANAN, STEPHNSON, TANNER posted by Pam Stephenson on Friday, April 7, 2000
- Looking for information on James Stephenson, b in Westmoreland. Married Jane Buchanan in Lancaster in 1770. Their son William b abt 1772 in Westmoreland married Rebecca Tanner in 1782 in Wewstmoreland. Thanks. Pam
- KEELY posted by Dahrl Talmage on Friday, April 7, 2000
- Daniel Keely was my ggggrandfather who migrated from the Ligonier Valley, Pa to Conemaugh twp. Pa where he died and is buried at Saltsburg, PA. He was born about 1777 and died in 1851. He had 9 children on of which was John who married Nancy Watson. I am trying to find his tribal affiliation if anyone out there can help me. Tks
- ALTMAN, KUNKLE posted by Kathy Altman Wa on Friday, April 7, 2000
- I am searching for information about a Stephen Kunkle who lived in Marietta, Ohio. I am told by relatives that they remember visiting Aunt Alice and Uncle Stephen Kunkle in Marietta. I believe Alice to be Alice Altman b. 1872 in Hempfield Twp., Westmoreland Cty., PA. I would appreciate any help, if you are familiar with this family. Alice is the daughter of Adam Calvin Altman and Elizabeth Rachel Kunkle.
- KELLY, PRESSOR posted by Jean Bevis on Saturday, April 8, 2000
- I am looking for parentage of Sarah PRESSOR, r. in Westmoreland Co., PA, when married to Wm. Kelly of Chester Co, after his return from fighting in Rev. in Virginia. They are my 3Gr.grandparents; have above information from Wm.Kelly's Rev. War pension application filed in 1832. Help! Thanks..
- MURLEY posted by Myron Murley on Saturday, April 8, 2000
- Looking for descendants of William Edmund Murley a Revolutionary Soldier he fought under George Rogers Clarke. was sworn in as a LT of Militia. Appears in Virigina Court Records in Pennsylvaina Edited by Curmrine Listed under Yohogania County
- KIRKPATRICK, LAIRD, MOORE, SNOWDEN, WILSON posted by John Snowden on Saturday, April 8, 2000
- Is anyone else looking for this family? I'd love to share more with you if you are my cousin or if you are looking for history of early Westmoreland County. I found this on the Historic Pittsburgh site.
Boucher, John Newton, 1854-1933. Old and new Westmoreland / by John N. Boucher. Vol. 2
Chapter 1 The Bench and Bar of Westmorland Co. pages 6,7 and 8
Old and New Westmoreland
Judge Moore-Judge Crawford bad been retired from the Westmoreland bench prior to the act of 1777 authorizing the appointment of a president judge, and therefore the judicial distinction by legislative authority came first in reality to John Moore. At the beginning of the Revolution he was engaged in the clearing out and cultivating a farm of four hundred acres on Crab Tree Run, a branch of the Loyalhanna, the tract of land being two miles southwest of New Alexandria. A comfortable stone dwelling house, still in good condition, was erected by him and it indicated a man in advance of the crude civilization of his day.
Judge Moore's wife was a daughter of Isaac Parr, of New Jersey. He was thirty-seven Years old when he went on the bench. His first appearance in public life was as delegate from the county of Westmoreland to the convention which met at Philadelphia on July 15, 1776, to form a constitution and frame of government for the state. This body met at Carpenter's Hall. The people of the State had been invoked "to chose such persons only to act for them in the ensuing convention as are distinguished for wisdom, integrity, and a firm attachment to the liberties of this province." In pursuance of this recommendation, delegates were chosen on July 5, 1776, and Moore was one of the eight who represented this county. In the convention he was placed on the committee to draw up a declaration or bill of rights and also on the committee to report a plan or constitution of government. The convention selected "a council of safety to exercise the whole of the executive powers of government, so far as relates to the military defense and safety of the province." This committee was composed of twenty of the most prominent men of the convention and it speaks well for John Moore that he was one of them. On September 30, he returned to Westmoreland. While in session with the council of safety, he procured for the defense of the frontier about four hundred pounds sterling, half a ton of rifle powder, a ton of lead and four thousand flints. This doubtless added to his popularity on the frontier. At all events, in 1777, he was commissioned a justice of the peace and about the same time was appointed a surveyor of public lands in Westmoreland. In 1779 he was commissioned one of the judges of the several courts of Westmoreland, and in 1785 was appointed president judge of the courts of the county. His commission was dated October 25, 1785, and is recorded in Book A, page 544. This position of president judge of the county he filled until the constitution of 1790 came into effect, when, by its provisions, he was retired because he was not learned in the law. After his retirement from the bench, he was sent for two terms to the State Senate, the district being composed of Allegheny and Westmoreland counties. What opportunities he had had in his youth for securing an education is not known, but they were doubtless limited. He wrote a good hand and the language and orthography of his compositions indicated a clear and vigorous intellect. Some time after the death of his father, William Moore, his mother was married to James Guthrie, by whom she had children, one of whom was afterwards sheriff of Westmoreland County (1790). John B. Guthrie, afterwards a mayor of Pittsburgh, was a descendant. One of Judge Moore's daughters was united in marriage with John M. Snowden, well known as an early day editor in this county and in Pittsburgh. Another daughter was married to Major John Kirkpatrick, a Greensburg merchant. Another daughter was married to Rev. Francis Laird, D. D., the ancestor of the well known Laird family of this county.
In personal appearance he was tall and straight, with large brown eyes and brown hair, with an aquiline nose. A gentleman who met him in his house in 1798 and afterwards, has left the following description of him; " A tall gentleman of erect and manly form, whose intelligent countenance and strikingly impressive eye indicated a man of more than ordinary ability. He was then about sixty years old, and the rough buffeting of frontier life had left a slight shade of sternness over a countenance at all times dignified. He was extremely correct in his habits, unbending in his course, but remarkable for his affection to his children, and although he was generally mild, was notwithstanding, possessed of temper; he was deeply sensitive and had a high sense of honor." He was an elder in the Congruity Presbyterian Church for many years. By his will he set free the older of his colored servants and allowed the younger ones to serve an apprenticeship with any of his children whom they might chose. He died in 1811 and was buried in Congruity churchyard. His widow survived him many years.
I have a list of some of his decendants to share if anyone would like to compare notes.
- ARMEL posted by Cindy on Monday, April 10, 2000
- I am also searching for the Armel family of Westmoreland County. Specifically a Susannah Armel (1827-1907) who married Joseph Sullenberger (1804-1862?). I understand that this Armel family migrated to Westmoreland County from Eastern Pa.(originally the border country of Alsace-Lorraine in the mid 1700's), to Mt Pleasant and Unity Twps. There are alot of Armels buried at St Pauls Cemetery in Trauger.
- FINLEY posted by Nan Hood on Monday, April 10, 2000
- I am looking for the parents of James Alexander FINLEY(married Mary Ann Burkett) who was born abt.1823 and is buried in Rehobeth Cemetary
- STAHLSCHMIDT, STEELSMITH posted by Philip Haggerty on Tuesday, April 11, 2000
- I'm interested in any information on the Steelsmith family from Westmoreland and surrounding counties. They came to this area around 1800. The German spelling of the name is Stahlschmidt.
- THORNE posted by Glenda & Ron Tu on Tuesday, April 11, 2000
- I am trying to find out why my great grandfather Charles Elsmore Thorne was born in Westmoreland County instead of in Gallipolis as his father, Hugh, is said to have been. Charles would have been born on July 1, 1859. His mother may have been Arvilla (?) Chapman. Any clarification would be wonderfully appreciated. Thank you.
- BRADEN posted by Cindy Braden-Elm on Tuesday, April 11, 2000
- I found my Great-Grandparents address in a City Directory from Johnstown, Pa.; 1889. Was there ever a directory made for the towns of Derry Twp? And how far back in time would they go ?
- ADAMS, HEATH posted by Donna Heath on Wednesday, April 12, 2000
- I'm looking for info on a John Heath who married Margaret Adams of Westmoreland Co, Pa.,c1784. Marriage may have taken place PA, OH, or KY. Any help/info greatly appreciated. Donna Heath
- CUMMINS, SMOLEY posted by Pat Cummins on Wednesday, April 12, 2000
- I am looking for information on my gggrandmother, Anna Smoley,who may have been born late 1700's in Westmoreland Co., PA. Married John Cummins,and migrated to Franklin Co., IN in 1816. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
- FURNIER, JOHNSTON posted by Margaret Johnst on Thursday, April 13, 2000
- Information on Robert Johnston born 1779,married Polly Furnier about 1809 in Rostraver Township. Robert died 1838 and is buried in Rehobeth Cemetery. Polly and Robert had one son Levi born 1811.
- BAILEY, PALMER posted by Shirley Palmer on Thursday, April 13, 2000
- Peter PALMER b 1 Dec 1830 m 14 Feb 1856 Christena BAILEY b 14 May 1833. Children: William, John, David, Amanda, Henry, Hetty, Charles, Albert, Anna,Thomas and Mary. Who were her parents?
- JOHNSON, MCDOWELL posted by Dawn McDowell on Thursday, April 13, 2000
- Looking for information on a Grace Johnson, she married Marlin McDowell, they lived in Ligioner. They had a son named Paul Hobart McDowell who was born in June 2, 1898 and died Sept. 1981. They also had 2 other children, Gladys and Chester, but I don't know anything about them. If anybody knows any bit of info. please email me about it. I would greatly appreciate it as I don't get to this web site that often. My address is firstname.lastname@example.org Thank you, Dawn McDowell P.S. I also know that Grace was still alive in 1941, but I don't know anything after that.
- GLENN, SUMMERVILLE posted by Gwen Sutton on Friday, April 14, 2000
- I am searching for information on David Glenn from Brookville, PA and Ellen Summerville from Ireland. They got married on 4/19/1854 in Brookville, PA by John T. Boyd. David Glenn's occupation was a shoemaker. Also looking to see if they had any children, if so what was their names.
- AND, HAEBERLE, WILLIG posted by Janet Otremba on Friday, April 14, 2000
- I am looking for relatives of my cousin Tillie HAEBERLE, who lived at 15632 Delmont, Westmoreland, PA. She was married to either Joseph or Ben WILLIG. She was born on the 20 Dec 1898 and she passed away in May 1983. Her father was William/Wilhelm Haeberle and her mother might have been named Frieda/Freda. I know they had children who might still live in the area.
- BUTLER posted by Shallie on Saturday, April 15, 2000
- Looking for information on Perry Butler and his father Joseph Butler. Joseph married a lady named Elizabeth (maybe a Sara) they had seven children:Amanda (born abt 1853),S.S. (born abt 1855), George (born abt 1858), John (born abt 1860), Samuel (born July 1, 1861), William (born abt 1864), and Perry (born July 2, 1870). Any help would be great. Thanks.
- WORTMAN posted by Leila Wortman on Saturday, April 15, 2000
- I have info George Wortman lived in Westmoreland County , New Brunswick Canada, but he went there from skullyskill (sp?) in Penn. Could he have helped named the Canada County or could he have suggested the Penn county name from the Canada name . Any help would be appreciated.
- BROWN posted by Scott Brown on Saturday, April 15, 2000
- I have recently posted many obituaries and wills to this site regarding my Brown family from fairfield twp., Westmoreland county. Please review them and if you are able to contribute any additional information about the individuals, please contact me by e-mail. Will share what I already have.
- BALUCH posted by C Klebick on Saturday, April 15, 2000
- I am searching for any information on the Baluch name, it is very possible that the name was changed to "Barlow," or a variation thereof. It is the name of my Great-great grand mother "Lizzie," who lived in Bessemer, near Mt. Pleasant Pa. Her parents settled there in the late 1800's, and she did have at least one sister.
- BEVAN, FABER, PERHOCH, STROJAN, ZEBRASKY posted by Sharon Emerson on Sunday, April 16, 2000
- Searching for any reference to this names in Westmoreland Co.(in or around West Newton)or possibly near Blythdale-Suterville. Alot of men work in mines in area in early 1900's.
- BURD, BUTLER, HARR posted by Toya Campana on Sunday, April 16, 2000
- Perry Jacob Butler born July 2, 1870 Green Co.
1. 1870 census for Richhill Twp. Greene Co.
name age occupation POB
J R Butler 39 m Carpenter PA
E B 36f PA
Armanda 17f PA
SSB 15m PA
George 12m PA
John 10m PA
William 6m PA
Pery 1/12m PA
(I do not have solid proof this is my Perry)
2. Marriage application
Perry J. Butler to a Laura Harr, dated on January 14 1890 in Youngstown, Westmoreland Co. Pa.
The application reads that they both were residents of Youngstown, parents for Perry are Joseph and Elizabeth, for Laura, Christian and Margaret. (Laura had to have a consent form signed) it states that the place of birth for Perry is Green Co. and Laura is Ligoneer Twp. Westmoreland Co. (do not know if marriage ever took place)
3. 1898 marriage to Maggie Pearl Burd
Maggie Pearl Burd born 1881 died June 11, 1933 Gosser Hill
Children from this marriage
Minnie Caroline dob Sept 9, 1899
George dob May 28 1901
Anna (my grandmother) dob Dec 17, 1903, Kingston, Westmoreland Pa.
Howard dob May 7, 1907
Thelma dob Feb 12, 1918
4. 1910 census for Pittsburgh, Allegheny Co.
5. 1920 census for Hyde Park, Allegheny Twp., Westmoreland Co.
6. 1943 Perry died in Leechburg, Allegheny Twp. Westmoreland Co. (Gosser Hill)
Perry Butler was well known as a healer. There is rumor that he was adopted by a Dr. Butler at birth from a Seneca women. This is only believed by part of the family.
- HOLLIDAY posted by Ralph Watkins on Sunday, April 16, 2000
- Seeking information on John Holliday, who was reportedly sent by the "Committee of Correspondence" or "council" at Fort Pitt in 1776 to scout location for a fort in the Ohio Valley. He traveled with his two sisters, Sally and Ann. Fort was named Fort Holliday, his settlement became known as Holliday's Cove, now Weirton, West Virginia. Any info on where John Holliday came from would be of interest.
- ALTMAN, KUHNS posted by Kathy Altman Wa on Sunday, April 16, 2000
- I have recently learned that my gr. gr. grandmother was Sarah A. Kuhns b. 1840 d. 1926 and married Reuben Altman in 1857. They had six children: Adam Calvin, Uriah, William H., Samuel E., Alice and John. They lived in Westmoreland Cty., PA, most likely Hempfield or North Huntingdon Twp. (I think!) Any information about Sarah and the Kuhns family would be appreciated.
- BARTLETT, BORING, POZAR, PRETTYMAN, RAGER posted by Susan Prettyman on Monday, April 17, 2000
- Looking for the parents of John Prettyman who m/Alice Bartlett from Scotland. They had 8 daughters and 1 son Robert. Some lived in Indiana Co. but others were in Westmoreland and Fayette Counties. Thank you
- CROW, MYLER posted by Nancy Myler on Monday, April 17, 2000
- My MYLER ancestors moved to the Ligonier Valley in Westmoreland Co., and lived on Mill Creek Run near Mathias Furnace around 1805-1820. I can find my ggg grandmother, Elizabeth, in the 1820 census as a widow. Can anyone tell me what or where Mathias Furnace was? Three of Elizabeth's sons, Thomas, William and James had a general store there called The Myler Brothers, until Mathias Furnace opened their own store and required their employees to buy from the "company store". How would I go about finding any records of the Myler family?
- COSSELL, DOLAN, DUNCAN, FORTNEY, GOWER, KEAGY, KELLY, LEWIS, SCOTT, WALL, WEBB, ZZZ posted by T R Hughes on Tuesday, April 18, 2000
- Seeking information on the daughters of Nellie Fortney and George Duncan of Scottdale, Westmoreland County, PA. Daughters were Virginia Mary Duncan and Helen Duncan (b.01-13-13. Helen Duncan married Ernest Dolan. Helen Duncan's last residence is listed as Mount Pleasant. Any descendant's of this family? Any information appreciated..
- HOLDEN, NAYLOR posted by Sharon on Tuesday, April 18, 2000
- Can someone please tell me if I can to get a death certificate on someone that died in 1897-98 possibly in Westmorland Co.... can I get it or were they not required in those years...if so where would I go to get it please....also can anyone let me know what Catholic cemeteries were in Jeannette Pa at this time..am despertly looking for a little girl name HILDA NAYLOR br June 8 1897 probably died sometime later in the yr of 1897 know she was alive on July 4 1897 as she was baptized at Immaculate Conception RC Church in Irwin...family was in Jeannette Pa in Sept of 1899 for sure...she may have died there in Jeannette ...Any help appriciated re finding her
- CRABTREE, TWIGG, YOUNKIN posted by Lora Crabtree Brown on Tuesday, April 18, 2000
- Looking for information on my great-grandfather, James Crabtree. He was born Dec 1864 in Md. He died Aug 28, 1940 in Westmoreland Co Pa. He was married to Mary Agnes Younkin. Mary Agnes died in 1910. James and Mary Agnes had seven children. My grandfather was Jacob Crabtree. He was born Oct 8, 1896 in Hammondsville Pa. The 1920 Westmoreland Allegany 2 census has James Crabtree remarried to a woman Emma. I am trying to find any family connection and James parents information.
- DOLAN, DUNCAN, FORTNEY, RUTH posted by Rebecca on Tuesday, April 18, 2000
- Seeking information on Helen Duncan (b.01-13-13) married Ernest Dolan (b. 07-18-05 d.07-62). Helen Duncan's last known residence was Mount Pleasant. Helen was the daughter of Nellie Fortney & George Duncan, the g.daughter of Elizabeth Ruth & John C. Fortney. Any information appreciated.
- KEENER, LOUVENGAYER, PAINTER posted by Patrick Murphy on Tuesday, April 18, 2000
- I am researching these lines in Westmoreland County, Pa.....particularly:
Michael George Keener (1778-1850+), his wife Jenny (last name unknown) who were the parents of David Keener (1811-1875).
Tobia Painter (abt 1775-?) and wife (Unknown) Louvengayer (abt 1775-?) who were the parents of Lucinda Painter (1812-1882).
Any help would be appreciated.
- BAKER, HALL, HIGGINBOTHAM, WEEKLEY posted by Nancy McKane on Tuesday, April 18, 2000
- Looking for a DAVID HALL m. TO ANN CHARITY unknown there daughter DORCAS HALL b. 1764 - MARGARET HIGGINBOTHAM f. RALPH HIGGINBOTHAM m. to MARY unknown - MARGARET BAKER m. to ALLEN EDGELL MARGARETS parents unknown. - THOMAS WEEKLEY JR. m. to MARY unknown daughter CHARLOTTE WEEKLEY b. 1821 m. to JAMES V. STARKEY THOMAS PARENTS were THOMAS WEEKLEY SR. and RACHEL. I have infomation on these families to present day.
- SEACHRIST posted by Gwen Sutton on Tuesday, April 18, 2000
- I am searching for information on the Seachrist family from Western, PA during the years of 1900-1923. The fathers occupation was a shoemaker and the mother died during giving birth to a baby. The baby was named Margaret Jane. The father put the baby up for adoption. There was 5-7 children.
- SHIPE posted by Thomas Shipe on Wednesday, April 19, 2000
- Searching for information about the John Shipe, Sr. family. John Shipe, Sr. b ABT 1748 d ABT 1832 in Mt. Pleasant Wife Catarine b ABT 1752 d 10-17-1836 in Mt. Pleasant. Children: Catherine b ABT 1774 Lancaster, PA, John Shipe b ABT 1793 Westmoreland Co., PA, Henry Shipe b ABT 1795 Lancaster co., PA d Mt. Pleasant, PA, Mathias Shipe b 11-5-1801 Lancaster CO., PA d 11-6-1848 Noble CO., IN, Abraham Shipe b ABT 1803, Mary Emily Shipeb 11-30-1805 Mt. Pleasant Tsp, Westmoreland Co., PA Isaac Shipe, b A 1815 Mt. Pleasant Tsp, Westmoreland Co., PA., and Margaret Shipe b ABT 1816 Mt. Pleasant Tshp., Westmoreland Co., PA. After the parents John & Catarine died, most of the remaining family moved on to Adams Co. and Hancock Co., Illinois.
- HART, TAYLOR posted by Christine Johns on Wednesday, April 19, 2000
- "....through mother Daugherty's line as her father was John Hart son of John Hart son of the signer whose grave with that of his wife Martha Taylor we have seen permanent stones in the Congruity Chruch Graveyard and have kept cared for- must pass this on to you" Does anyone have access to Congruity Church Records?
- HUVERIN posted by Ima Stephens on Thursday, April 20, 2000
- I am looking for references to the name Christina HUVERIN who married Phillip HOBAUGH. Phillip was from Germany, as I suppose Christina also was, and lived in Westmoreland County in the 1700s. They moved to Indiana. Some of their children moved even further westward. Thank you.
- HOBACH, HOBACK, HOBAUGH posted by Ima Stephens on Thursday, April 20, 2000
- I am looking for references to Phillip HOBAUGH who came from Germany to Westmoreland County, PA in the 1700s. His wife was Christina HUVERIN. They had a daughter named Catherine (my line) and one named Mary, maybe more. His sons included Andrew, Solomon, Hiram, maybe Mark (Markes), probably more. Phillip's surname has also been spelled "HOBACK" and "HOBACH". If you know about this line, please reply. Thank you.
- THOMAS posted by Ron Cornwell on Friday, April 21, 2000
- I am seeking information on John Thomas born in Westmoreland County. He died in Armstrong County. I am also seeking information on Barbara Thomas who was born around 1819.
- TAYLOR posted by Ross Eyer on Friday, April 21, 2000
- Seeking information on a TAYLOR family in the 1880's. At some point in time they lived in Westmoreland Co. Husband's name "may have been" James. Wife's name was Mary E., (maiden name Eshelman). To this union were born 2 daughters Cora (b.1876) and Myrtle (b.?). The wife, Mary, died at age 32, in the year 1883. Looking for Mary's grave location, and information on James(?) Taylor. Did he remarry? Who raised the daughters ? Any replies will be appreciated.
- THOMPSON posted by Becky on Saturday, April 22, 2000
- Hoping to share/compare information on the family of Robert T. THOMPSON b. 15 July 1813 Westmoreland Co., PA d. 1894 Pratt Co., KS. Family may have moved to Nicholas Co., KY by 1822, then to Dearborn Co., IN and to Morgan Co., IL by 1835. Robert's father possibly William. Robert's siblings may be Washington, Mary/Amanda, Nancy, Frances.
- CASSATT, GIBBONY posted by Don Cassatt on Saturday, April 22, 2000
- Looking for any information regarding Sam Cassatt (or parents, born 1802 in Westmoreland and died 1859 in Armstrong, and his wife Ann Gibbony
- HOSACK, MCCALEBS, MCKILLEPS, RUSSELS posted by Tom Barker on Saturday, April 22, 2000
- also Blackburn Morrison all from batch of old letters 1870s
- SHARP, WOODRUFF posted by Elizabeth LaBozetta on Sunday, April 23, 2000
- I have a Phebe Sharp, who was born in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania in 1816. Her family moved to Ohio and ended up in Athens County, Ohio. Phebe later married a Samuel Woodruff. Would anyone know who her parents are? I am working on the theory she had a brother Edward and another brother Merrill, who is my ancestor. Edward and Merrill were born in Ohio so it may be that the family left Westmoreland County between 1816 and 1820. Any help would be most appreciated.
- CLAIR, SHUPE posted by Peg on Sunday, April 23, 2000
- Searching for a connection to Catherine Shupe b. 1802 in Westmoreland Co.,Pa married 10/16/1814 to Benjamin Clair b. 1794 Moved to Adams Co., IL and then to Warsaw Twp,Hancock Co., IL Any help would be appreciated Peg email@example.com.
- ANDERSON, LEIGHTY, LOWE, MELAGO, NAYLOR, STEINER, ZARONSKY posted by Kristine Graham on Sunday, April 23, 2000
- My relatives lived around the Mt. Pleasant, Hecla, United, PA - Westmoreland County area. I am in search of any "relative information" anyone might have. I have some dates back to Revolutionary War era on Lowe's and Leighty's..
- ALEXANDER posted by Lori Campbell on Sunday, April 23, 2000
- Interested in talking to anyone with ALEXANDER ancestors in Westmoreland pre-1800, particularly Samuel of Derry Twp.
- GARDNER posted by Pam Shelton-Anderson on Sunday, April 23, 2000
- I am trying to determine the origins of John GARDNER, born around 1760, place unknown, died 1848 in Columbiana co OH. They lived in Westmoreland co PA where at least 4 children were born between 1794 and 1800 most of whom were baptized in the Lutheran church. By 1820 the family was in Columbiana co OH. I would also like to find the maiden name of John's wife Christina who died in 1853 in Columbiana co OH. Among their children they had a son John Gardner who left Ohio in 1852 for Clayton co/Decatur co IA. If you would like to exchange information, please contact me at my email address below. Thanks
- COCHRAN, MOORE, STARK posted by JoAnn Cupp on Sunday, April 23, 2000
- Seeking decendants of Mary STARK born May 1900 d/o William and Ellen Moore STARK. Ellen MOORE was the daughter of John Pollock MOORE and Margaret Ann COCHRAN.
- CALHOUN, COCHRAN, FERGUSON posted by JoAnn Cupp on Sunday, April 23, 2000
- Looking for descendants of Margaret FERGUSON, d/o James C and Jane A FERGUSON who married Johnston R. CALHOUN, s/o Margaret Ann COCHRAN and James CALHOUN in 1884.They had 2 daughters before Margaret died: Cora Elizabeth CALHOUN b 1885 Margaret J. CALHOUN b 1886 These girls were living with their maternal grandparents in the 1900 Westmoreland Co Census.
- GARRISON posted by Sam Garrison on Sunday, April 23, 2000
- Searching for information on Vincent Garrison, b. 1776 in what is now Greene Co.
- MCAFEE posted by Gladys Jensen on Monday, April 24, 2000
- Any information on Patrick McAfee and his wife Ann greatly appreciated. He was born in Ireland date and place unknown. Lived in Unity Township, Westmoreland County starting about 1798. Admitted as citizen in 1815. Died in 1848. Will registered in Blairsville, Indiana County. Children John, Jane, James, Sarah, Elizabeth, Daniel, Mary and Margaret.
- HEASLEY posted by Jackie on Monday, April 24, 2000
- I looking for GERTUDE ELIVA DAVIS HEASLEY BIRTH DEAD DATES. HUSBAND GEORGE WILLIAM HEASLEY. I KNOW IN ERWIN IRWIN CEM. SUSANNA RODABAUGH HEASLEY HUSBAND JOHN GEORGE HEASLEY DIED 1933.
- HEASLEY posted by Jackie on Monday, April 24, 2000
- I am looking for the born dead dates of Gertude Eliva Davis Heasley and husband George William HEASLEY.Also SUSANNA RODABAUCH HEASLEY I think SEPT.21,1891 dead date. husband John George HEASLEY.
- BINGAMAN, HITCHMAN, WELCOME posted by Sarah Bingaman on Tuesday, April 25, 2000
- Looking for info regarding Solomon Albert Bingaman (b. 16 Feb. 1836 d. 17 Mar. 1913) m. Mary Elizabeth Welcome (b. 23 Jan. 1850 d. 12 Jul 1911) Solomon's siblings Margaret Ann (m. Alfred Hitchman), John Calvin, Nancy Jane, Martha Ann Barbara, Andrew Jeremiah, Joseph Henry, George Mifflin Dallas and Ellen Catherine.
- MCGRAW, WORTHINGTON posted by Helen Della-Volpe on Tuesday, April 25, 2000
- Searching for any information about my gr gr grandparents, JAMES WORTHINGTON and NANCY McGRAW. Both were born in l781 in Westmoreland Co. After marriage, they lived in Salt Lick Twp. Fayette Co. PA until l835 until they moved to Lawrence Co. Ohio. JAMES WORTHINGTON operated an iron foundry with his brother JOHN WORTHINGTON in Fayette Co.There is good circunstantial evidence that JAMES was s/o JAMES WORTHINGTON,Sr. who was a s/o ROBERT and ANN (McCRACKEN) WORTHINGTON.
- HALL, WORTHINGTON posted by Helen Della-Volpe on Tuesday, April 25, 2000
- Searching for any information about JOHN HALL, b l805 in Westmoreland CO. PA. He m in l826, ISABELLA WORTHINGTON b l804 in Westmoreland. They lived in FAirfield Twp. Westmoreland Co. until l850 when they moved to Greenup Co. KY.JOHN HALL may be the s/o GEORGE HALL, s/o WILLIAM HALL, all of Westmoreland Co.
- MCCRACKEN, WORTHINGTON posted by Helen Della-Volpe on Tuesday, April 25, 2000
- Searching for any information about ROBERT WORTHINGTON (aka BOBBIE DUNBLAEN) and his wife ANN McCRACKEN. Some say her name was MARGARET (perhaps MARGARET ANN?). They moved to Westmoreland Co. PA about l770. ROBERT died there in l788. ANN died there in l786.
- BOWERS, MYERS posted by Jack Bowers on Tuesday, April 25, 2000
- Looking for the parents of Jacob BOWERS b Oct 13 1812 Lancaster County PA m Catharine MYERS b Oct 12 1820 Somerset County PA. Children were: Martin b abt 1836, Samuel R b 11/05/37 m Mary Eckles CALDWELL b 12/10/37 Patton Twp (Near today's Monroeville PA), Rebecca b abt 38, Jacob b abt 42, Henry b 11/24/44 d 02/19/73, Mary b 45 d 1909, William b 03/22/47 m Rachel HODSKIN b 06/06/52 - he d 03/21/1918 - she d 1928, David b 08/15/49 m Margaret MELLINGER b 09/09/55 - he d abt 04/25/1923 - she d 1936. All of the above are buried in the Mt Pleasant cemetery Westmoreland County. Jacob was "coal/coake" operator and probably sold his business which was along the Youghiogheny River in Tyrone Twp to Henry Frick. Son William was in the commemmorative booklet of Mt Pleasant 100 yrs in 1910 as "oldest living merchant" of Mt Pleasant.
- HUNTER, MCCRELIAS, RAY posted by E.T. Hunter on Tuesday, April 25, 2000
- William HUNTER, my gggf, married a "Miss RAY" in Franklin Co., PA, in 1808. They then moved to Mt. Pleasant, Westmoreland Co., where their first child, Eleanor, was born in 1810. They also had Elizabeth, Martha and William Ray HUNTER. "Miss RAY" died in 1824. In 1826, William married Jane McCRELIAS, who was born in Ireland in 1800. Their children were Mary, Isabelle, Anna and Rachel, born in Westmoreland Co. They then moved to Ashland Co., OH around 1838, where Thomas, Rose and Jane were born.
William's mother was Elizabeth IRWIN, dau of William and Martha IRWIN.
I am looking for William's father and further ancestors. His descendants, I have much information on.
- WALKER posted by Penni Walker on Wednesday, April 26, 2000
- Looking for ANY AND ALL information on the Walkers that were born in Greensburg, specifically Stewart Walker born 1916 (father) but info on his parents, and parents. And any and all info on the Youngs, James and Beatrice born in Jennette? Thanks
- FELGAR, FELGER, FLEGER, FLETCHER, GADDESS, GADDIS posted by W B McColly on Thursday, April 27, 2000
- Seeking any info on Henry Felger I & Henry Felger II (Donegal Twp), David Fletcher (d. mid-1800s Derry Twp age 97, spouse Elizabeth Bales, dau Rebecca Fletcher m. Zachariah McCauley (McColly), Lydia Gaddis Quail, James Johnston, m. twice 2nd Anna Quail (household in 1850 Derry Twp census), Robert Quail
- MCKESSON, WILSON posted by James Wilson on Friday, April 28, 2000
- I am interested in communicating (and sharing information) with any descendant (or interested researcher) of the James A Wilson family of Connelsville, Pa. and the East Huntington Twp area of Westmoreland County, Pa. I believe his wife's name was Sarah J Mckesson (Wilson). He was born in 1853 and died in 1923. She was born in 1846 and died in 1928. They are buried at Alverton, Pa. I am interested in verifying the names of the parents and siblings of James A Wilson and also learning something about his descendants.
- BUZZARD, IRWIN posted by Susan DiLorenzo on Friday, April 28, 2000
- Polk Run Cemetery, John Buzzard William P Irwin
- BRISBIN, BRISBINE posted by Karen Parsons on Friday, April 28, 2000
- looking for parents of Hiram B Brisbin born abt 1815. I've searched for 2 years with no luck any help would be appreciated.
- DULL posted by Jean Willard on Friday, April 28, 2000
- Looking for my mother's place of birth and her family in PA. Evelyn Dull b.10/1907 d 3/1929 in Henryville, Indiana. Had a sister Hagar and bro also in Indiana. Some family may have been in Baltimore area in 1960's May have been in Franklin County, PA. Thanks for your help.
- GOODSPEED, PRETNER posted by Edie Goodspeed on Friday, April 28, 2000
- Would like info on Andrew and Mary Pretner (Preter). Had daughter named Matilda m/Goodspeed.In abt.1930 The Pretner's took care of grandson, William Gerald (Jerry) for abt.4 years. Any info would be helpful.Doing family tree and hit a block here.Thanks!
- ACKERMAN posted by Jean Willard on Friday, April 28, 2000
- Not sure of surname. Looking for mayor of Latrobe in 1900's through mid 1940. Great Uncle of mine and want to fill out family tree.
- VANDERGRIFT posted by Alice Leonard on Friday, April 28, 2000
- I am looking for my father's family roots. I don't have much to go on other than the last name. Can anyone give me information about this name and the town in PA not to far from Pittsburg? Thank you! Please e-mail me.
- BROWN posted by Kate Ross on Friday, April 28, 2000
- Looking for a BROWN from Westmoreland County who served in the War of Independence. James is the most likely possibility. His sons Ebenezer and James went, early on,1797 to settle in Butler Co., Mercer twp.
- WINGARD posted by Beverly Sargent on Friday, April 28, 2000
- Am seeking information on any WINGARD surname of Westmoreland Co. My ancestor,James D. Wingard was thought to have lived in the area around 1910-1911. Anyone having information or suggestions,they would certainly be appreciated.
- BLAHNIK, YANDA posted by Jeri on Saturday, April 29, 2000
- I am looking for information on my Grandmothers side: Mary Yanda was born June 19, 1893 in Loyalhanna, PA. Her parents were Rudolph Matthew and Mary (Blahnik) Yanda.
- GARVEY, MORRISON, PHILLIPS posted by Sherril Dysart on Saturday, April 29, 2000
- I am searching for others related to the Bartholomew GARVEY and Eleanor WILLIAMS who lived in Washington Twp, Westmoreland Co, PA from about 1781 to the late 1800's and possibly later. Their children were: Mary Garvey b. 1776 Philadelphia, PA; Catherin Garvey (John Morrison) b. 1780 Philadelphia, PA; John Garvey b. abt 1784 ?Westmoreland Co, PA; Ann Garvey b. 1780-1792?; Thomas S. Garvey b. 1788 Westmoreland Co, PA. I am still trying to locate descendants for Mary who supposedly died 1829 and John who also was said to have died in 1829. So far, I have followed Catherin Morrison's line to about 1920 and Thomas' line to the present (my direct line). Ann never married and died in 1868. It is possible that John and his family moved West through Indiana to Kentucky. There was also a Solomon GARVEY and an Isaiah GARVEY listed in the 1850 and 1860 Census for Westmoreland Co. Who were they and where did they go from there?
- CORNELL, RAY posted by Kelly on Saturday, April 29, 2000
- I am searching for info. on Joseph Miller Cornell Married to Ann Jane Ray. They had several children in this county area before moving to Ill. This would have been in the late 1700's to early 1800's. Any info would be appreciated.
- HENDERSON, MCCURDY posted by Jim Sheridan on Sunday, April 30, 2000
- I am seeking any information related to the marriage of, and ancestors of John A. Henderson who married Sarah McCurdy about 1825 in Westmoreland county, (maybe Fairfield Township). Their children and approximate dates of birth were: Hannah b.5/28/1835, Ford b. 1847, Elizabeth b.1837, Archibald b. 1832, Isabella B. 1830, Mary b. 1827, Harriet B. 1847, and Sarah, b 1839, and Rachel B. 1845. I know both the McCurdy's and Henderson's have lines which go back several generations in this area of the state, but I cannot quite make the connection between the families. Any additional information would be appreciated.
Return to the Archived
Query/Surname Index Page
Return to the Query/Surname Index Page
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project