- LUDWICK, PATTERSON, YEAGER posted by Andrew Hummell on Sunday, November 1, 1998
- I'm looking for descandants of or info about several families living in Franklin Township, Westmoreland County, PA. A lot of these people and relations are buried in Hankey Cemetery. Martha Patterson was living there in 1850 with her children, Martha, Robert, Rachel, Agnes, and David. David had two children, William M., and Mary. Peter Yeager married Mary Ludwick and had a number of children, including Samuel and James. I beleive that Mary Ludwick's father was a John Ludwick, but I have no proof, yet..
- LATTA, MADISON, TODD posted by Linda on Sunday, November 1, 1998
- I am looking for info on the Todd's and Latta's of Westmoreland Co. Pa. John Todd was Dolley Madison's first husband. He and a child passed away during an epidemic in the 1790's..
- VARNER, WORK, WRAY posted by Mark Varner on Sunday, November 1, 1998
- Looking for information on Daniel VARNER b. 1791, in Westmoreland Co., PA; d. 1855 in Tyrone, Blair Co., PA. any information would be greatly appreciated.
- BAIRD, WARE posted by Kathy Orbin on Monday, November 2, 1998
- I am interested in info on the ancestors and descendants of Harry E. BAIRD of Westmoreland CO, PA - born 1875 in Ruffsdale,PA and died in 1939 in Hecla,PA. His wife was Emma J. WARE born in 1876 in Hindman,MD and died in 1953 in Westmoreland Co, Hecla,PA..
- FOX, SWITZER posted by Debbie Walsh on Monday, November 2, 1998
- I am searching for a David Fox and his brother John who were known to reside in Tarrs, Pa Westmoreland co. Their parents are believed to have come to the United States from Germany before the boys were born. David married a Love and they had 6 children (2 girls- one is Edna my GGmother the other one died maybe in her 30's. There were twin boys and two other ones named Urskin and Clay. I do not have any birthdates nor all of their names. I would also like to trace John's family and find the names of Davids and John's parents and where they came from..
- BOWERS posted by Barbara Yurkshat on Tuesday, November 3, 1998
- It is believed that George BOWERS and his family were farmers who lived in the Westmoreland County area prior to 1803, when Indiana County was created. By 1807, there is reference to George, John, and Henry BOWERS on the Wheatfield Township Taxables List. If anyone knows of (or has access to) a source that could confirm this family's residence anywhere in Westmoreland County prior to 1803, I would appreciate hearing from you. I am trying to establish George BOWERS' route of migration from Lancaster County, and the relationship between him and John and Henry. I have not been able to determine if they are brothers, or if they are father and sons. My thanks to anyone who might be able to offer me assistance.
- LEASURE posted by Kelly Babinsack on Wednesday, November 4, 1998
- I have an odd request. I want to know if anyone has any knowledge of a George Leasure born somwhere around 1900. He may or may not be still alive. His parents were Rosine and John Daniel Leasure and he lived in Westmoreland for awhile at least. When Rosine died in 1937 George packed up and left and was never heard from again. He is my granduncle- his sister Sarah was my grandmother. Just curious to see if anyone has heard of him.
- LARKIN, RIAL posted by Sam C. Rial on Wednesday, November 4, 1998
- I am searching for information about my gggrandfather Samuel Adams Rial who I believe might have been born in Westmoreland County in 1837. Samuel had two brothers, John and Henry. Samuel was a stagecoach driver and later married Mary Cartherine LARKIN in Arkansas..
- KURTZ posted by Alain Bieau on Thursday, November 5, 1998
- KURTZ John and co; France to Irwin,PA; c.1888 Looking for information on any Kurtz family who emigrate in PA from Lorraine (Lothringen) in 1888 (Kurtz John,Kurtz Henry, Kurtz Nicholas and Kurtz Elisabeth)
Children of Kurtz Henry and Margaret Beyrent, born and died in the town of Vieille-Verrerie (Lorraine-France now)or Alteglasshute (Germany in 1888). It's the same town. I would appreciate any information, that anyone can give me. Thank you. Alain Bieau - 2,rue Ausone - F57000 Metz
- DELL, SPRINGER posted by Sue Jones on Thursday, November 5, 1998
- Seek info on Annie Springer b. abt. 1810 near Ligonier, Westmoreland Co., PA. Wed Joseph Dell in 1830. Couple moved to Allegheny Co. and raised children: Margaret A. Dell Altman, Annie Dell Sharp, Mary J. Dell Hays, Grant Dell.
- DIMIT posted by John Noble on Thursday, November 5, 1998
- Searching for birthplace of Caroline Callie Dimit Fathers name John Dimit. May have been born in Westmoreland county Caroline born 1866 died 1935 in Butler PA.
- HARRIS, NEDROW, SADDLER, SADLER, SATTLER, SOUDER, SOUTER posted by Pat Alexander on Friday, November 6, 1998
- I am interested in finding where the Saddler/Sadler/Sattler family lived between the time their ship landed--1732-38 in Philadelphia from Germany and when they were in Fayette CO in 1800. I believe that they were in Westmorland CO, York, and Lancaster. However they could have just changed counties because the boundaries changed. I am interested in first names Conrad, Jacob and Margaretta SOUD(T)ER SADDLER, and James SADDLER who lived in Washington CO..
- BITTNER, EVERETT posted by Kathy Orbin on Friday, November 6, 1998
- I am interested in learning about the ancestors of my great grandparents who both died in Westmoreland County. My great grandfather was John C. EVERETT who was born in 1868 in (I believe) Dawson,PA and he died in 1941 in Hecla, Westmoreland Co, PA. His wife was Laura E. BITTNER who I believe was born in 1869 in Somerset,PA. She died in Hecla,PA in 1947. I don't know any more of their parents or siblings. Please let me know if you can be of any help at all..
- CUTSHALL, MAYERS, MCKISCK posted by Mark Cutshall on Saturday, November 7, 1998
- CUTSHALL, John Schwartz, 11 AUG 1914 - 1 MAR 1991. This is my grandfather who was born in Pitcarirn and died in Greensburgh. I am trying to find any information. He was married to MAYERS, Kathyrn Elizabeth, 18 Nov 1919 - Apr 1947 and then remarried to MCKISCK, Mary Ida. I have been able to find information from my mother's side but not my fathers.
- BROWN, SHAW, WHITE posted by Joseph Brown on Monday, November 9, 1998
- I'm seeking information about Samuwl SHAW, son of David Shaw and a grandson of Moses Shaw of Westmoreland Co. When Allegheny became a county Samuel Shaw became a resident. Would like any information about the Shaws in the 1800's. Samuel's sister Margaret married John BROWN who died early in 1795, Plum Twp., Allegheny Co. In early 1800's Margaret married James WHITE and they settled in what is now the East Liberty area. James and Margaret's son, James, married Isabella Shaw. Their son James was a farmer in the Negley area, which is the old homestead area.
- FRERICHS, IHMELS posted by Kay Diekemper on Monday, November 9, 1998
- I am looking for a record of naturalization probably a Declaration of Intent on Peter IHMELS and Helena Maria (Frerichs) IHMELS. Also looking for birth records on an August Richard IHMELS b Mar 26 1882 and a Katherina IHMELS b. 1884?. IHMELS Family lived in Larmer Station which I believe is now Larimer. Peter believed to be a shoe cobbler.
- BELL posted by Chris Bell on Tuesday, November 10, 1998
- I'm looking for info on a Samuel Bell who was born around 1800 or so and lived in Plumcreek township Armstrong Co. PA in 1830. His family may have lived in Westmoreland Co...
- MCWILLIAMS posted by Roger Crane on Tuesday, November 10, 1998
- Seeking information on the family of William McWILLIAMS who resided in WESTMORELAND County at the time of the 1810 census..
- STANDIFORD, WHITAKER posted by Vance Standifird on Tuesday, November 10, 1998
- Westmoreland County taxables in 1783 list Ephraim Standiford in Rostraver Township with 11 inhabitants in his home. The same list also shows John Whitaker in Rostraver Township with 9 inhabitants in his home. Ephraim Standiford married Hannah Whitaker, daughter of John Whitaker. They came to Westmoreland County, from Baltimore County, Maryland, around 1770 and went to Kentucky about 1783. Ephraim sold two pieces of property, in Rostraver Twp., on the Monongahela River in 1783.
- BAER, CARNAHAN, GUCKENBERGER posted by Donna Stieber on Tuesday, November 10, 1998
- Searching for info on Fred Conrad Guckenberger, born 17 Jun 1873, Pittsburgh,PA, died 27 Jun 1957, Westmoreland Co, PA, Marriage 1: Olie, born 1879, died 1928, both buried St. James. Marriage 2: (My great grandmother) Mary Turza (BAER) CARNAHAN, born 9 July 1878, Saltsburg, PA. Fred's father was John, born 22 Feb 1845, died 5 Feb 1918, buried St. James..
- BAER, CARNAHAN posted by Donna Stieber on Tuesday, November 10, 1998
- Searching info on Herbert E. CARNAHAN, born 22 Jan 1873, Perrysville, Westmoreland Co, PA, baptized St. James Church, died 21 Mar 1927, Arnold, Westmoreland Co, PA, married Mary Turza BAER, born 9 Jul 1878, Saltsburg, PA. They had 7 children..
- BEST, LAUFFER posted by Donna Stieber on Tuesday, November 10, 1998
- Looking for info on Christian LAUFFER, born 17 May 1723, Weisenheim a. Sand, Pfalz, Germany, died before Jun 1796, Pleasant Unity, Westmoreland Co, PA, married Susanna , ca 1748, Moore Twp, Northampton Co, PA, born 1735, Germany. They had 11 children. Does anyone have any verification of this marriage to Susanna BEST?.
- BEST posted by Donna Stieber on Tuesday, November 10, 1998
- Share info on Susanna Catharina BEST, born 1735, Germany, died 1796, Pleasant Unity, Westmoreland Co, PA, married . Does anyone have any info on this marriage?.
- GREGOR, SLUTSKY posted by Donna Gregor on Wednesday, November 11, 1998
- Looking for Michael GREGOR and Teresa SLUTSKY (I). They are the parents of Stanley GREGOR and the grandparents of my husband. I noted them in the 1910 Census as living in Westmoreland County. Hoping to find relatives alive or deceased. Just need to know who they were. Michael came to the U.S. in the mid to late 1800's from Russ-Lithuania. Any help would be appreciated..
- CROSSFIELD, GILL, PATTON, SPELMAN, WOOD posted by Roberta Weideman on Thursday, November 12, 1998
- My gggrandfather James GILL was born in 1798 in we believe Harrison in Westmoreland Co. PA. He married Nancy PATTON on 14 March 1820 in Belmont Co. OH.
My ggrandfather Alexander Patton GILL married Victoria SPELMAN of Franklin Co. OH in 1860. They moved to IA. Alexander remarried to Cora Ella WOOD who was the mother to my grandmother Cora Ella GILL CROSSFIELD.
I found three Pattons listed in the 1790 Westmoreland census records. Marcy Patton listed with four white females, Alexander Patton, wife and three white females all in Armstrong township. William Patton in Derry township.
In 1830 Belmont Co. OH census records, James Gill shown as living in Richland township.
Searching for family connections to the Gills and Pattons. Thank you.
- ANDRE, ANDREE, DAVENPORT, JOHNSTON, JOHNSTONE, WALL, ZIMMERMAN posted by Paul Andree on Friday, November 13, 1998
- Andree Andre Wall Zimmerman Davenport Johnston Johnstone surnames for Rostraver Twp, Westmoreland Co, PA - Hoffman and Fells Cemeteries. I have no info on several of these names.
- BARRON, CALDWELL posted by Michael S. Caldwell on Friday, November 13, 1998
- I'm descended from a William BARRON, resident of Fairfield Township, Westmoreland County, who died about 1806. He had several children, about whom I have some information; I'm descended from daughter Mary BARRON, who married John CALDWELL in 1809. Happy to share information..
- CARLON posted by Toni Collins on Saturday, November 14, 1998
- I am searching for any information on Joseph and Elizabeth Caldwell CARLON, who immigrated from Ireland to PA in the mid 1790's. They first landed in MD then went on to WESTMORELAND Co., PA. then to MERCER and LAWRENCE Co. PA. They are my GGGG Grandparents. ANy information on their line would be appreciated.
- MOOREHEAD, MOORHEAD, STANLEY posted by Al Douglas on Saturday, November 14, 1998
- Am seeking info on Michael MOORHEAD born 1732, Antrim N.I.died 18 Jun 1817 in Chambersburg, PA. Buried in the Falling Spring Presbyterian Church Cemetery. (I've seen the head stone.) Allegedly lived most of his life in Westmoreland Co.
Had the following children: David, Rosannah, WILLIAM (my line) b. 1769, John, James, Michael.
William lived in his life in Westmoreland (Washington Twnshp) although he too is buried in Chambersburg. He married Mary STANLEY.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
- LATHERS posted by Joy Lathers on Saturday, November 14, 1998
- In the 1790 census for Westmoreland County, James Lathers appears as a free white male over 16.
- RINGER, TRUBY posted by Gary Linerode on Saturday, November 14, 1998
- Seeking information on John RINGER b. Mar 03, 1783 Westmoreland Co., Pa. m. Catharine TRUBY 1808 in Pa. Catharine b 1787 Westmoreland Co., Pa. John was son of Michael RINGER b. 1755 in unknown, d.1844 and is buried St James Lutheren church cemetery Rt.380, Saltsburg, Pa. Particularly interested in cemetery inscription for Michael and other RINGERS in St James cemetery..
- LAUGHBAUM, PARR posted by Dennis Parr on Saturday, November 14, 1998
- Information on Parr's in Westmoreland co. Pa. 1810-1830.
- JOHNSTON, PIATT posted by Richard Piatt on Saturday, November 14, 1998
- I am looking for Johnston, Stinson D and wife Rebecca buried in Mt. Pleasant, Westmoreland Co., PA. Wife Rebecca had a maiden name of Piatt. He was a distiller and farmer, moving there before 1850.
- DERRY, SHULTZ posted by Joan Brown Derry on Monday, November 16, 1998
- 1. Looking to find parents of BAZIL DERRY (1786-1879) from George's Township, Fayette Co. and his wife, MARY POLLY SCHULTZ (possibly from Armstrong County).
2. Who was GEORGE DERRY (B-1839)and wife CHRISTINA(b-1842)? Are they related to Bazil? In the 1880 Pa. Census this couple had 9 children: Anna, Harry, Hattie, Mary, John, Lucey, Sarah, Rebecca, and Margaret and were living in Westmoreland County, Derry Township.
3. There are 2 lines of DERRY's. One is Caucasian and one is African-American. If any info is available on the above two requests, it would be helpful to know which line they belong to for accurate credit, as many first names were the same. Thanks much, Joan
- ARBAUGH, COONS, CRITES, HEY, LANDIS, NEDROW, RIDDLE, SADLER, WILHELM posted by Ron Nedrow on Monday, November 16, 1998
- Under marriages in Iowa, I noticed some Nedrow's and Saddler's marrying in the 1840's and 1850's in Van Buren County, Iowa. I think the Nedrow women that married Saddlers were Philapena and Phoebe. They are probably daughters of Abraham and Nancy (Coons?) Nedrow.
The Nedrow's lived in Somerset County, PA. Jacob Nethro born: 1784 moved to Westmoreland County in 1827. He had at least six children: Daniel born: 1815 who married Catherine Miller, George, Rosanna, Sarah, Susanna, and Rachel.
Some Nedrow's left Somerset County, PA in 1830's. Michael, George, Issac. Alexander, John Nedrow left Tuscarawas County and settled in Iowa in 1844. Michael (son of Henry and Mary (?) Nedrow) born: 1802 and George (son of Henry and Mary (?) Nedrow born: 1805 married second cousins Sally and Mary Nedrow, daughters of Abraham and Nancy (Coons?) Nedrow. Issac born: 1817 (son of Abraham and Nancy (Coons?) married Mary Ann Ankney; and Alexander born: 1824 married Phoebe Brown.
My great-great grandfather Simon P. Nedrow born 1820 in Somerset County, PA left PA and went to Ohio with his parents in the 1830's. He married Rebecca Crites in 1841. This marriage was performed by Michael Nedrow born: 1802 who was a Justice of the Peace. Simon and Rebecca were in the 1850 Census in Dover, Tuscarawas County, Ohio with children Salome born: 1842 who married a John Landis; John Wesley who married Elizabeth Arbaugh; Mary born: 1846 who married Michael Hey; Simington born 1849 married Sarah Riddle and had eleven children and went to Idaho. Simon and Rebecca left Ohio in 1852 and settled in Huntington County Ohio (Markle and Uniontown townships). The names on Simon's death certificate were Mary Wilhum and John Nedrow. Mary Wilhum identified probably is Wilhelm. She is from Frostberg Maryland. The John is probably not correct (either Joseph born: 1800 or Abraham born: 1783). I would like to exchange information if you are interested.
- BRYAN, MCKELVIE posted by Sybil Thompson on Monday, November 16, 1998
- I am looking for information on David H. Bryan. He was born on 10-3-1797 in Westmoreland Co. PA. He married Susana McKelvie (2nd wife) on about 1834. His frist wife died in childbirth in 1833.
- HULL, LONGSTREET, OSBORN posted by Muffy Unger on Monday, November 16, 1998
- Trying to find the parents of Lydia HULL born abt. 1710 who married an Aaron LONGSTREET, Aaron's second wife was Catherine OSBORN and they marreid in Middlesex County New Jersey about 1735. I am asuming Lydia passed away before that date than.
- BERRY posted by Diane Riner Berry on Tuesday, November 17, 1998
- My John Berry was married to an Elizabeth. The had about 4 children that reached adulthood (Elijah, John, Betsey,Nancy). John and his wife left Pennslyvania after 1803 and moved to Licking County, Ohio. They died about 1815. The children stayed in Licking County, Ohio until the children were grown and married, then Elijah and Elizabeth Kendall moved to Vermillion Co, IN and then to Fulton County, Illinois where they stayed.
- KUHNS, SHOCKEY posted by Donald Buncie on Wednesday, November 18, 1998
- "Old Westmoreland" tells a story of Christian Shockey. I am trying to find more about this Christian Shockey (?)b. 1775 married to Elizabeth (1850 Census has them at age 75). He is the father of and living with Rachel (Shockey) Kuhns (1816-1896) m. Solomon Kuhns (b. 2/28/1812-1887). I believe they had a farm off Bethel Church Road, Cook/Unity Twp. Westm'd. Co. I also have Rev. War record of a Christian SHOCKEY, 1st Regm't, Cert #75181, Letter H, Receipt Book A, p.104, Records of the Comptroller General. I am trying to determine if he is directly related to my Christian above..
- MILLER, SNYDER posted by Marcia Koegel Salvatore on Wednesday, November 18, 1998
- Need par & data for George Snyder mar Margaret Miller b? d aft 1805 both bur. Holmes Co, OH. Had Anna b 24Sep1804 Westmoreland Co. PA..
- FOX, PETERSON posted by Norman Ricker on Thursday, November 19, 1998
- Ira William Fox and Dorothy Lee Peterson were married on 3 Mar 1929. Both Families were residents of Westmoreland County PA at the time of marriage. They eloped, and attempts to find a marriage record have all failed. Any help will be appreciated.
- PETERSON, SWANK posted by Sharon Trosan on Thursday, November 19, 1998
- Westmoreland County, Ligonier area Looking for additional information on Sarah Peterson, d 14 Nov 1921, married Robert G. Swank 10 Nov 1887, the daughter of Samuel Peterson. I am interested in other siblings and additional information on her parents or husband.
- DUNBAR posted by Paul Calhoun on Friday, November 20, 1998
- Alexander DUNBAR died in South Huntingdon Twp in 1811. His wife's name was Elizabeth and his children were John, Mary, Jean and Jane. What was Elizabeth's maiden name?.
- BACKSTROM posted by Duane on Friday, November 20, 1998
- Searching for info on Backstroms from Collinsburg or West Newton, PA. My grandfather was Arthur Walfred Backstrom.
- BARNES, TALLIAN, TALLION, TALLON, TOLLON posted by Sandra Hoard on Saturday, November 21, 1998
- My ancesters were from Westmoreland Co., PA. I am not sure of the spelling of the last name. I do know that his first name was Andrew and he was married to Mary (BARNES). They had a baby son, Andrew when they were in Westmoreland about the 1880's. They came to Westmoreland from Austro-Hungary I think. They located in Ohio after they left PA. The reason that I don't know the spelling is that all of the sons of Andrew and Mary spelled their last names differently. Some variations were: TALLIAN, TOLLON, TALLON, and TALLION. The sons first names were Andrew, Mike, Thomas, Joseph and Charles. Any help would be appreciated.
- ALLSHOUSE, ALSHOUSE, NALEIGH, NALEY, STEELSCHMIDT posted by David Naley on Saturday, November 21, 1998
- Any info on Anna Allshouse (Naley), b. 14 May 1855, m. 25 Nov 1875, d. 1 July 1890. Spouse: Wm. Edw. Naley (or Naleigh).Believed longtime resident of Westmoreland Co., Pa..
- SCHRUM, SHRUM posted by John Shrum on Sunday, November 22, 1998
- Johannes SCHRAM and wife moved from York Co., Pa. to Westmoreland County about 1772, and were pioneer settlers at Brush Creek, near Irwin. I have most of this family catalogued (7500 SHRUM and SCHRUM descendents in a data base).
- JOHNSTON, MILES posted by Sharol Barnett on Monday, November 23, 1998
- Looking for family of Henrietta (Nettie) Johnston that married Ellis MILES on 1876 in Luthersberg Clearfield Pa. She is 100% Indian, tribe unknown. I have been unable to find anything about her..
- EVANS, VANAUSDALL, VANNAUSDALL posted by Cynthia VannAusdall on Monday, November 23, 1998
- Would appreciate help in finding the family of John C. VannAusdall located in Burrell Township, Westmoreland County in the 1860 Census. He was my 2nd greatgrandfather, married to Margaret Evans, mother was probably Esther, sister probably Laura, two kids, Esther and Hugh. I found one listing in Glade View (Bethel Methodist) Cemetary for VanAusdall, no other information. 1860 Census, page 88 was extremely hard to read and I could not tell his occupation or where he was born. In 1863 he took his family to Venango County, PA. Thanks for any help.
- DOUGHERTY, MCWILLIAMS posted by Hugh Fawcett on Tuesday, November 24, 1998
- William McWilliams was born in Donegal County,Ireland in 1754 and died January 1852 Murrysville,Franklin Township now Westmoreland County,Pennsylvania Buried in 1852 in the Old Presbyterian Church Cemetery in Murrysville,Westmoreland County,PA they were married before December 29, 1788 in Ireland (Donegal County) he married a Nancy Kerr born ? and died before 1840 in same area and cemetery as William did.This one hell've big family I live in Irwin PA in Westmoreland County if you would like to get together I can show I think I have a real big portion of the family line.I am researching the Dougherty Line they are connected into the McWilliams Line.
- IREY posted by Bill & Jan Irey on Tuesday, November 24, 1998
- In search of the IREY SURNAME and if anyone is willing to share information on this family name research please contact Bill & Jan Irey
- COLLIER, DEUTSCH, FARMER, HAYDEN, HOUGH, SMITH, SOMMERVILLE posted by Daniel Collier on Wednesday, November 25, 1998
- Searching for information on Westmoreland County families surnamed Collier, Sommerville, Hough, Farmer, Deutsch, Hayden.
- CONWAY, MCGINLEY posted by Gene Wilson on Wednesday, November 25, 1998
- John immigrated to America, from Ireland, in 1800's and settled in Westmoreland Co, PA. About 1803 they moved to Clearfield Twp, Butler Co, PA Descendants of John McGinley, Sr 1767-1862 married Grace Conway ca 1769-1827. children: 1 John McGinley, Jr 2)Mary McGinley 3)Michael McGinley, Sr 4)Nancy McGinley 5)Ann E McGinley 6)Catherine McGinley 7)Sarah McGinley 8)Eleanor McGinley.
- BLACK, HAWKINS, LUDWICK posted by Nancy Evans on Thursday, November 26, 1998
- Looking for information on family of Adam Ludwick b. 10 May 1796 d. 2 Dec 1843. buried in Long Run Cemetery North Huntington Twp. Westmoreland Co Pa. Married Elenor Black b. 1794 d. 21 Jul 1876. Also buried in Long Run Cemetery. Children James Black, Anne B, Martha K, Daniel B, Mary K, & William Black. Parents of Eleanor Black Ludiwck were Patrick and Mary Kyle Black. Interested in all info on this and related families, in particular parents and siblings of Adam.
- BLACK, MACKEY, TOOKE posted by Shirley McMunn on Thursday, November 26, 1998
- Obit appearing in the Independent Observer, Westmoreland Cty, 19July 1901 for DAVID BLACK. Obit states that "Mr. Black was a former resident of this county, has many relatives in the northeastern part of the county, and was well known to many of our readers". DAVID BLACK, Died 14July1901 and was buried in the Mahaffey Cemetary, was a member of the U. B. Church (apparently in Mahaffey), a veteran of the Civil War serving w/Co C., 206th Pennsylvania Volunteers, member of the G.A.R. He died while preparing the U. B. Church for the Sunday evening service. DAVID BLACK, at time of death had one brother and two sisters(names unknown).His children were: James E(my great grandfather), ELLA E (BLACK)TOOKE who married JOHN TOOKE, residing in Mahaffey, Clearfield Cty at time of David's death. We found that John and Ella TOOKE had at least one daughter, VEDA, who married WILLIAM MACKEY. CLARK E BLACK, married and living in Patton, Cambria County at time of David's death. The obit also reads that he was the great(?)grandfather of twelve children. Looking for any info to carry on my research into my mother's family history..
- SMALL, TERWILLIGER posted by Lori Terwilliger on Thursday, November 26, 1998
- Harry Wilbur Terwilliger married Helen Lenore SMALL, daughter of Mr and Mrs CB Small, 21 Feb 1922 in New Kensington, Westmoreland County, PA. Harry was b. 23 Sep 1901 and d. Mar 1979, last known residence was New Kensington. He is related to the Terwilligers from Millcreek Twp., Clarion Co., PA. Can anyone tell me how these families are related?
- COY, FRIED posted by Shirley Beeching on Friday, November 27, 1998
- Looking for parents of Jacob COY who was born Oct 22, 1791 in Franklin County, PA. Jacob married Barbara FRIED and they must have spent their early years in Westmoreland County, PA, because all seven of their children were born in this county. Later Jacob moved to Wayne County, Ohio where he died. Any information regarding Jacob Coy - his family - his parents - would be so very welcome! I also have information to share.
- BRUNER, CLAYCOMB posted by Tom Cassidy on Friday, November 27, 1998
- Searching for information on George Leonard BRUNER b. 1753, m. Charlotte CLAYCOMB in 1776, settled in Westmoreland County before moving to KY, and Landry H. Bruner, b. 1848, went to IL and IA.
- TROUT posted by Margaret Gagliardi on Saturday, November 28, 1998
- I have just discovered that Henry TROUT (1757-1812), George TROUT (1762-1829) , Philip TROUT (1765-1852) & Jacob TROUT (1772-1829) all of Westmoreland Co, PA and brother Michael TROUT Jr. of Chambersburg PA were sons of Michael TROUT Sr. & his wife Catherine Elizabeth of Bridgeport, near Emmitsburg, PA. For details see "Monocacy & Catoctin Volume 2".
- CAROLAN, PAINTER, POUNDSTONE posted by Jill Childress on Sunday, November 29, 1998
- Looking for any information on George Poundstone. B.1876 in Masontown, Fayette Co. Married to Margaret Underwwod.Lived in Paintertown, Irwin, Westmoreland Co. Had 5 daughters: Harriette (m. to James Painter of Paintertown) Hazel, Elizabeth, Loretta, and Mary Dorothy(my grandmother, m. John F. Carolan of Irwin) . He does not appear on the 1920 census, and no one Knows what became of him after 1913, as my great grandmother is listed as a widow. Any help would be appreciated.
- BELL, HICKEY, MCGRAW, ROGERS, TURKES, VANKIRK posted by Greg Bender on Monday, November 30, 1998
- The 1870 Western Pennsylvania federal census listed a Charles ROGERS, born in 1828, who was living in Baldwin Township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. This Charles ROGERS could have been the father of Robert ROGERS who would have been born in about 1848. Frank ROGERS was born in 1867 the son of this Robert ROGERS and Martha McGRAW. Frank ROGERS married Elizabeth HICKEY, who had been born in 1869 to Daniel HICKEY and Elizabeth BELL. Charles Robert ROGERS, Sr., son of Frank ROGERS and Elizabeth HICKEY, was born April 23, 1889 in Pennsylvania and died January 1968 in Miami, Florida. Charles married Gertrude VANKIRK. Charles and Gertrude ROGERS lived near Darlington, Ligonier Township, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania. Gertrude was born February 21, 1891 in Pennsylvania and died December 12, 1964 also in Miami, Florida). Charles and Gertrude had two children: Charles Robert ROGERS, Jr. and Gertrude Elizabeth ROGERS. Charles, Jr. is still living. He was married to Margaret (or Pe! g as she was known), and they had two daughters: Carolyn ROGERS and Susan ROGERS. Charles, Jr. married his second wife, Elizabeth, in about 1987. Charles Robert ROGERS, Sr. and Gertrude VANKIRK's daughter, Gertrude Elizabeth "Elizabeth, Betty or Betts" ROGERS, was born June 21, 1912 in McKeesport, Pennsylvania. Betty married Walter Robert "Walt" TURKES June 6, 1938 in McKeesport. Both Betty and Walt TURKES are deceased.
Return to the Archived
Query/Surname Index Page
Return to the Query/Surname Index Page
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project