- GILKEY, RIDDLE posted by Susan Cowles on Tuesday, September 1, 1998
- Searching for name of parents of Matthew Riddle, who came to this country from Ireland before the Rev. War. He was born 26 Nov. 1743 in Ballyblack, Ireland, and died 26 Nov. 1820. He was married to Elizabeth Gilkey born 1752 and died 26 Nov. 1817 (both died in Venango Co. PA and buried in Calvert-Riddle Cemetary).
- MCGOUGH, WERNER posted by Mike Gifford on Tuesday, September 1, 1998
- Looking for more information on the WERNER family from Westmoreland County, PA. My great-grandfather, Francis WERNER, was born in Derry, PA in 1885. He married Clara Hegie and raised his family in Derry. His parents were William Werner and Emma McGough who were both born in Cambria County, PA. Any information on the WERNER or MCGOUGH families would be greatly appreciated..
- EVANS, GUDER posted by Brian Guder on Tuesday, September 1, 1998
- I am looking for cemetary references for either the EVANS family or the GUDER Family in Westmoreland County, Rostraver Township, PA...specifically John and Pheobe EVANS bornJuly 1859 and September 1860 respectively...and Henry and Amanda GUDER bornJanuary 1855 and April 1860 respectively...though Id appreciate any group plots of either name....Id like to drive down and do some cemetary searches but have no idea where to start...Any ideas?
- LANDSPARGER, LANDSPERGER posted by Craig Landsparger on Thursday, September 3, 1998
- I am looking for help in tracing my familty back to Germany. Between changes in location (Ohio, Michigan and West Newton, Westmoreland County, Pa.) and spelling, it looks to be interesting. My grandparents, John and Matilda, had a daughter, Esther and three sons, Arnold, George and Curtis. This is the Pontiac, Michigan arm. My father, Curt, moved to Hamilton, Ohio in 1952. I am particularly interested in finding the parents and siblings of my grandparents who I believe were in West Newton. Any contacts or assistance would be greatly appreciated..
- MINIUM posted by Kimberly Liljequist on Thursday, September 3, 1998
- I am trying to find information on George Minium and his wife Elizabeth. Under the 1830 Westmoreland Census it has George Minium in Salem Twp. He and his wife also had 6 daughters, Maria Anna, Susanna, Anna Sophia, Barbara, Magthalena, and Esther. They are found in the Ruff's German Church Records.
- CALGRAN, DITTY, HAWTHORN posted by Nancy Ettorre on Friday, September 4, 1998
- I am looking particularly for a Jean Hawthorn or any other Hawthorn, Ditty or Calgran/Calgron in Westmoreland County. Jean Hawthorn indentured her son to the Igoes in August 1889. I am searching for the name of the father of that child..
- CRIPLIVER, KRIPLIVER, SHEPLER posted by Nancy Meiring on Friday, September 4, 1998
- I am looking for any family of CRIPLIVER OR SHEPLER who lived in or around Westmoreland County Pennsylvani around 1782-1806 Then they all went to Ohio..
- COUCH, HOAK, NOEL, PEARCE, PIERCE posted by Ron Pierce on Friday, September 4, 1998
- Serching for any info on the children of Jeremiah Workman Pearce (abt 1834 - after 1891) and wife Elizabeth ? (abt 1844 - 1897). Their children are: James Sylvester Pierce 2-29-1860 d1937 mar Marhta Adeline Noel, (Parents Benjamin Noel and Martha Hoak) Maggie abt 1870 James abt 1873, Edmond, PA, son Francis. Joseph abt 1874, mar Carrie ? 1898, child Viola, Salina, PA Myrtle abt 1877, never married, died in Jeanette. Thomas abt 1879, never married, lived with Lulu. George Oscar 1885-1953, Salina PA, children Ennis, Glenn, Mary and Hazel. Lulu from Jeanette, PA Mar ? Couch, son Clifford. Robert from Jeanette, PA Mar Jonetta ?, children Clyde, Robert, Velma and Ceiola.
- REED posted by Richard Reed on Sunday, September 6, 1998
- My ancestor James Reed's father was John Reed. James moved to Louisiana about 1790. His father and other family probably sayed in PA. I am not sure if he Benjamin is a ancestor. I have no info of any other family, other then James Reed. Any info you have on PA Reed's would be appreciated.
- CHERKIN, CHERKINSKY posted by pac on Monday, September 7, 1998
- Any information needed re: Morris Cherkin (previous probably Cherkinsky or(i). From Vilna to Pennsylvania, Westmoreland County prior to 1906. Born approx. 1865. Died prior to 1940 - probably much earlier. Buried in Westmoreland County. Thank you..
- HUGUS, SHOUP posted by Janet Warter on Monday, September 7, 1998
- Does anyone have birth & death dates, & place of burial for John HUGUS and wife, Margaretha (SHOUP) Hugus? They were early settlers (1787 or earlier) in Mt. Pleasant or Unity Twp., Westmoreland Co., PA -- came from Bucks Co., probably Nockamixon Twp., where Margaret SHOUP was born. ca. 1748. Known HUGUS children: Jacob (ca. 1767-1834), maker of tallcase clocks in Greensburg; John (ca. 1770-1843), farmer in Mt. Pleasant Twp.; Magdalena (1773-?); Michael (ca. 1776-1825), clockmaker in Somerset Co.; Henry (ca. 1780-1848), farmer in Pleasant Unity & Salem Twp.; William (1787, bn. Westm'd. Co. - 1821). Other possible children are Paul, Peter (clockmaker in Fayette & Greene Co.) & Isaac HUGUS. The 3 clockmakers (Jacob, Michael, Peter) may also have been silversmiths. Does anyone have more complete info on this family of John & Martgaretha (SHOUP) HUGUS? I have SHOUP data..
- MCDOWELL posted by Dawn Dutra on Wednesday, September 9, 1998
- Westmoreland County. Hi. I am looking for any and all information on a Samuel MCDowell who married a Pearl Sharpneck.
- AGUE, BUSH, HOOVER, HUBER posted by Joseph Hoover on Wednesday, September 9, 1998
- Jacob Hoover, born 1795 in Westmoreland Co, PA and died 31 Jul 1868 near Coitsville, Mahoning Co, OH. His wife was Christine Bush. Jacob Sr's father was Peter Hoover who married Mary Huber. Jacob Hoover Jr., was born 6 Oct 1826 in Mercer Co, PA. He married Cynthia Ann Ague, on 14 Feb 1849 in Edinborough, PA and he died 14 Apr 1904 in Essex Twp, Clinton Co, MI. They had 14 children, all surviving to adulthood. The first ten children were born in Mahoning Co, OH near Lowellville and the last four children were born in Clinton Co, MI. Any info on these folks greatly appreciated!.
- GORDON, MAHAFFEY posted by Floyd Jacksn on Wednesday, September 9, 1998
- Rachel Gordon, Aug 30 1763 Westmoreland Co - May 30 1844. To Highland Co Ohio, then a part of Adams Co. Ohio. Then to Liberty Twp, Adams Co. Ohio 1830. Who were her parents? Her brother also beleived to have moved to Adams Co. Ohio also. Married John R. MAHAFFEY in Westmoreland Co Pa.
- ROSE, TALKINGTON posted by Bonnie Cox on Thursday, September 10, 1998
- Am looking for information on Philip Rose, who married Ruth Talkington. Both lived in Westmoreland County. Especially interested in Ruth's parentage..
- BRYAN, CROSS, GORDON, LONGSTRETH, SHAMLIN posted by Susan Greayer on Thursday, September 10, 1998
- Searching for ancestors who came from Westmoreland, Fayette, and Washington Cos. PA. Joel LONGSTRETH b abt 1778 m Mary BRYAN, son John LONGSTRETH b 1807, Fayette Co., PA, wife Sarah Shamlin b 1807 probably in Washington Co. Also searching for info on GORDON family. Eleanor GORDON b abt 1785 in So West PA, m James CROSS abt 1805. All leads appreciated.
- BARR, MAGILL posted by Tricia Carothers on Friday, September 11, 1998
- MAGILL, Thomas Allen B: 1860 Stone Valley, PA, D: 1926 Westmoreland Co., PA. spouse: Ella BARR 1859-1922. 9 children born to this union. I am looking for info on Thomas Allen MAGILL'S ancestors and descendants. Any help much apprecited and i am happy to share!.
- BERGER, DELEON, WEIMER posted by Gabrielle on Friday, September 11, 1998
- I am looking for more information on William WEIMER, born Abt.1837 in Westmoreland County. Son of Jonathan Weimer and Susan BERGER. Minnie WEIMER (daughter of William WEIMER and Susan KELLER), was my gg grandmother. Born 1867 and married to John C. DE LEON in Illinois. The specific info I am trying to find
- KLINGENSMITH posted by Linda Carmichael on Saturday, September 12, 1998
- I am looking for information on James Logan And Sarah Klingensmith . They married in 1872. Trying to fine out if they had a daughter name Julia, They could of been around the Donegal or Jones Mills area. Any help would be very welcome.
- GRAHAM, JOLLY posted by Becky Vaught on Saturday, September 12, 1998
- Nelson Jolly served in Westmoreland Countty Militia during the Rev War. He was B 1740 Bucks County. Md Mary Graham in either Westmoreland or Washington County. They emigrated to KY in 1780 with the William Hardin party and were among the original settlers at Hardinsburg, Breckinridge County KY. Mary was a charter member by letter of Severn Valley Baptist Church. Need any info anyone can give me. Appreciate any help. Have no parentage or siblings for Mary. Nelson was son of Samuel and Letitia Nelson Jolly. He had one known sister, Alice. .
- BURSCH posted by Nicole Burnett on Sunday, September 13, 1998
- I am searching for any information on Johan Edvard BURSCH b.Feb.25,1870, Farnebo, Sweden. Emigrated to U.S. on ship Orlando April 10, 1893, arrived New York, then on to Greensburg, Westmoreland County, PA. Any info helpful, respond to Nicole Burnett..
- FELDBAUM posted by Jere Keefer on Sunday, September 13, 1998
- FELDBAUM. Seek parents of George Albert Feldbaum, died 10 Apr 1907, Westmoreland Co., PA. Seek also parents of his wife, Christinea aka Catherine who died 1 May 1904, Westmoreland Co., Pa. Will pay reasonable research fee.
- FRANCE, FRANTZ, GORRELL, HANNA, MCGEE, MCGHEE, NICHOLS, REDDICK, REDICK, WITTEMAYER posted by Josh Naser on Sunday, September 13, 1998
- John REDDICK -- b. Scotland; d. 1822, Venango Twp., Butler Co., PA; buried Presby. Cem., Parker, Armstrong Co., PA. He married (perhaps in Harford Co., MD) Elizabeth GORRELL, daughter of ??? and Isabella (HANNA) GORRELL.
His son, James REDICK (b. 1788 in Westmoreland Co., PA, d. 1864, Ven. Twp., Butler Co.) m. Catharine MCGHEE or MCGEE (b. 1792, d. 1859). Both are buried in Presby. Cem., Parker.
Children (all born in Ven. Twp., Butler Co., PA) include: Eliza (b. 1815)
John C. (b. abt 1819) m. Nancy H. REDICK
James McGhee REDICK (b. abt 1820) m. Elizabeth FRANTZ (my line)
William Hamilton (b. 1824) m. Melinda FRANTZ
Elizabeth and Melinda FRANTZ were the daughters of Jacob and Susanna (NICHOLS) FRANTZ.
Jacob FRANTZ (b. 1794) married 1st Christina WITTEMAYER in 1819 and 2nd Susannah NICHOLS (b. 1808) in 1827.
I'm seeking any information that would help me extend any of theses lines further back.
Source: The REDDICK Family History, compiled by Franze W. ATHERTON, 1983.
- MARKEL, TROSTEL posted by Walter Lang on Monday, September 14, 1998
- I am trying to establish information on Jacob Markel who married Margaret Trostel about 1803. Their is a record of the family attending the Zion Luth & Rfm Church in Westmoreland Co., PA. Specifically I need to find out if Sara Markel was a daughter of this marriage, or if she was a sister of Jacob, or if Jacob may have been married previously?.
- HOLIDAY, HOLLADA, HOLLIDAY posted by Mark on Tuesday, September 15, 1998
- Our Holliday family started in Somerset County and many moved to Westmoreland County. I am in search of any and all Hollidays or descendents of. (alive or dead).
- BARTLETT, REID posted by Don Thompson on Tuesday, September 15, 1998
- Looking for information on Hugh Douglas Reid, born Nov. 29, 1918 (Swissvale area), died 1984 in Irwin, Westmoreland County. Married to Hazel I. Bartlett. Any information would be welcomed..
- ELDER, GEBHART, GIESE, LOWRY, NICEWANGER, SHUNE, WEIMER posted by Billy Walker on Tuesday, September 15, 1998
- My Lowrys moved to Westmoreland County in the 1830s, and are listed in the 1850, 1860, 1870, and 1880 censuses. I am seeking the marriage information for the Lowry children. Would also want information on their descendants, other than those for Henry Giese Lowry, for which I have fairly complete descendant information. However I do need Henry's marriage information: William Hunter Lowry (married Susannah Weimer); Henrietta Lowry (marriage unknown); John Giese Lowry (Married Mary Elder); Jane Elizabeth Lowry (Married Daniel Nicewanger or Nicewonger); Maria Anna Lowry (Married John W. Gebhart); Jacob Oliver Lowry (Married Mary Johnson, I believe); Henry Giese Lowry (Married Catherine Shune/Shank/Shanks/Schneck); Allenath Lowry (b. 1830, may possibly have died in childhood, marriage information totally unknown). The Lowry family moved to Westmoreland County from Somerset County. Jacob and Elizabeth are buried in the Ligonier Valley Cemetery. Henry and wife Catherine and ! some of their children left for Kansas in the 1870s. Other of the children of Jacob and Elizabeth remained behind. Need this information to complete Lowry genealogies.
- NORRIS posted by LaVerne Reenbaugh on Wednesday, September 16, 1998
- I am searching for the Norris Family who lived in Fairfied Twp in 1850. Thomas had a sister Mary Norris who married Jacob Serena
- MURRIE, SEAMAN posted by Terry Wilson on Thursday, September 17, 1998
- Looking for the burial place and other info on William MURRIE and wife, Hattie May SEAMAN MURRIE. He d prob bef 1949 and a retired B&O Railroad employee. She prob b 23 Jul 1880 d prob 15 Feb 1967 in Pittsburgh, prob in a nursing home. They are burin Allegheny or Westmoreland Co but I'm not sure which. Any help will be appreciated..
- GRAHAM posted by Sandra Gardner on Saturday, September 19, 1998
- Looking for information on Gilbert and Margaret GRAHAM who lived in Washington Township, Westmoreland County, PA I know of one daughter, Nancy, but would very much like to find other siblings. Margaret and Nancy both died in 1829 in Washington Township. Margaret at 57, Nancy at 17. All help is appreciated..
- BAIRD, KEELER, KILGORE posted by James R. Markle on Saturday, September 19, 1998
- Seeking some one with knowledge of this David KILGORE. I am descended from a David Kilgore, m 26 Jun 1792 Carlisle, Cumberland, PA Margaret BAIRD dau of John Hugh and Margaret BAIRD they had at least one child, Cyrus b 1813 Franklin County and Cyrus m 12 Mar 1835 Julia Ann KEELER Armstrong Co, PA. Need some proof that my David is/is not the Col. David who settled Westmoreland County.
- BABCOCK, ENGLAND, GIBSON, GRAVES, HANES, MYERS, NEDREY, SHOOP, SHOTT, SLEE, SPITLER posted by C. Sullivan on Saturday, September 19, 1998
- Searching for information on the Francis SLEE family of Westmoreland Co., PA. Francis SLEE b. here 1 Sept 1786, d. 28 Jun 1867 in Crawford, Ohio. Married to Mary ? Children were: Hugh m. Rachel MYERS, Elias m. Susannah McCULLY, Francis Jr., John m. Adeline BABCOCK, Isabella m. HANES, Sarah m. ENGLAND, Joseph m. Catherine SHOTT, Nathaniel m. Margaret NEDREY & Ellen BABCOCK & possibly a GRAVES, Mary Elizabeth m. Martin SPITLER, and last, Rebecca m. Thomas GIBSON..
- MCDOWELL, SHANNON posted by TJ Shumaker on Sunday, September 20, 1998
- Searching for relatives of Capt. Samuel Shannon b. Abt. 1746 d. Oct. 1781 on the Lochry Expedition m. to Elizabeth McKee. His daughter Elizabeth married Col. William McDowell b. 1763 d. 8/3/1836..
- COOPER posted by Janice Beatty on Monday, September 21, 1998
- Looking for information on the Coopers of Westmoreland Co. that were related to Margaret Cooper who married Col. Philip Howell of Allegheny Co. Married abt. 1790's
- CORBLY, HART, MUNDELL posted by Barbara Emery on Tuesday, September 22, 1998
- Seeking any record of marriages by Baptist minister, Rev. John CORBLY, performed at Fort Pitt between the years 1775-1780. Particularly interested in marriage of John HART b. ca. 1759 and Margaret MUNDELL b. 1760.
- TILLMAN posted by Jennifer Smith on Tuesday, September 22, 1998
- I am searching for Lawrence William TILLMAN and Candice Marie TILLMAN who live in Jeanette Pennsylvania
- GOODWYN, MARTIN, SPEED, TILLMAN posted by Jennifer Smith on Tuesday, September 22, 1998
- Searching for kin of Hazel and Edward Goodwyn, Betty Martin(deceased), Lawrence William Tillman, Candice Marie Tillman, Caroline Speed(deceased) and sisters of Caroline Tillman their names may be Natalie Goodwyn and Lacrisha Goodwyn and Edward Scott Goodwyn possible in Jeanette PA or surrounding cites or in Philadelphia PA.
- HEASLEY, NELEIGH, SHEARER posted by Scott Emmel on Wednesday, September 23, 1998
- Looking for information concerning the Shearer family of Westmoreland county and also information on Shearerville.
I am looking for information about the descendants of Adam Shearer who came to Westmoreland county around 1798. According to an old family record we just found, Adam had a son named Jacob (b 1775, d 1859) who married Barbara Heasley (b 1776, d 1872). They had 11 children, 8 are named in the record, John, Joseph, Jacob, Susanah, Sarah, Samuel, Margaret, and Elizabeth. The second Jacob married Catherine Neleigh. They had at least one son, Andrew. Andrew is my wife's great-great-great-grandfather.
As far as Shearersville is concerned, I would like to know where it was/is?, does it still exist?, how do I get there?, who founded it?, is there a cemetery there?, and generally anything I can about it.
- CAMBRIA, DEPIETRO, DIPIETRO, RICUPERO posted by Eleanor Giarnelli on Wednesday, September 23, 1998
- Searching Westmoreland County, PA from 1913 to 1925 in town of Hecla,PA, near Mt. Pleasant for DIPIETRO, DEPIETRO, CAMBRIA and RICUPERO. I would appreciate any information about the town of Hecla, and coal mining in that area, any early businesses in the town such as stores, theaters, etc..
- MILLER, PORCH, SHAW, SNIDER posted by Lisa Waggoner Green on Wednesday, September 23, 1998
- I am interested in finding out any information on the following Westmoreland County surnames; Snider, Miller, Porch, and Shaw. It seems I am having a lot of difficulty specifically locating any of these ancestors. What information I do have I am more than willing to share.
- LYTLE posted by Tissie Schwebel on Wednesday, September 23, 1998
- Searching for the father of Francis Weyland Lytle b. 12-21-1819, Legioner Valley, Westmoreland Co. PA d. 7-18-1884 in St. Louis, MO buried in Troy, IL. His first wife was Florida Martin ROUTE; second wife was Charlotte Caroline DANFORTH. He also served in the Civil War..
- ARNOLD, LAIRD, MOOR, MOORE, PARR posted by Ann Arnold on Thursday, September 24, 1998
- I am searching for ancestors (Surnames; Arnold, Laird, Moor, Moore, Parr) from Westmoreland County, PA. Any assistance is gratefully appreciated.
- HALL, MCCRACKEN, MILLER, STOUFFER, TATLINGER posted by Carol Robinson Stouffer on Thursday, September 24, 1998
- My mother-in-law has a picture dated Aug.-16-1941 from Crescent Studio. Written on it by studio; 16th. ann.JOSHUA McCRACKEN reunion Aug.16th.,1941, 'McDOWELL Farm' Ligonier,PA." (Westmoreland County, PA.)
This is of her father's family. His name was DANIEL McCRACKEN. He died when she was about seven, in 1918. His parents were CLINTON McCRACKEN and SUSAN TATLINGER.
I would like to identify the people in the picture and share it with family members. If anyone recognizes these names please contact me..
- GROETZINGER, GROSSINGER posted by Peg Duffy on Friday, September 25, 1998
- Christian Groetzinger b. 1827 Wurtemberg,immigrated 1847, nat.1854 is shown in 1860 census as living in Washington township, Westmoreland County. He was the eldest son of Christopher,Sr. prominent Allegheny City tanner 1860-1890. Apparently Christopher Jr. was in Allegheny County by 1862,as indicated by the gravestone of daughter Emma, 1859-1862. Particularly interested in pertinent Lutheran records in Westmoreland..
- HARE, HARR, MARKS, MYERS, NOEL posted by Robin Gallo on Friday, September 25, 1998
- Looking for any info about the Noel,Harr families from the "ridges" of Westmoreland County..
- THOMPSON posted by Ray Thompson on Saturday, September 26, 1998
- John M Thompson was living in Rostraver Twp, West Moreland County as noted in the 1900, 1910, 1920 Census...He was 57 yrs old in 1920.. I'm assuming that he died there also... Can anyone verify his death date, etc.. His wife's name was Annie..His children names are as follows....William, Walter, Katie, Mary, Alfred, Myrtle and John..... Thxs ahead.........Ray.
- OLSAVSKY, REPKOVA, SPIRNAK, VARGOVICH posted by Paul E. Vargovich on Saturday, September 26, 1998
- Any information on the following names. Mostly from Westmoreland County, Pa. Hostetter and Baggley, Pa..
- ISETT posted by John Henry Isett on Sunday, September 27, 1998
- I believe my great grandfather HENRY CLAY ISETT has a link to Westmoreland County. I am looking for information on Henry ISETT and John Henry ISETT and possible relationship to Samuel R. Isett. I was born in Pittsburgh and now live in Calif..
- BRUNER, COLEMAN, DALE, ESHENBAUGH, GAMBLE, GORDON, TANTLINGER, WALDENVILLE posted by Edie Perlick on Sunday, September 27, 1998
- Searching for relatives,my father was Alfred,he had 8 brothers and sisters,their parents were Williamt Eshenbaugh and Margaret Jane Bruner,my father was born in 1901 in Westmoreland Co. if you have any info on my family please let me know for my family tree.
- BAUMERT, HANNAPPEL posted by Jean Wall on Sunday, September 27, 1998
- Searching for surnames HANNAPPEL and BAUMERT who came to Westmoreland Co about 1884 from Germany. Hannappel family is buried in Scottdale Cemetery..
- MCGRAW, WORTHINGTON posted by John Brothers on Tuesday, September 29, 1998
- I am a g-g-g-g-grandson of James and Nancy (McGraw) Worthington, both born in 1781 in Westmoreland County. Am looking for two things: (1) does anyone know anything about the origins of James' family? (2) did James have any siblings, especially brothers? I have reason to believe James had a grand-nephew John T., who married a Mary Ruth Delilah Simmons and was the owner of the Worthington House at the Battle of Monocacy (1864) near Frederick,MD. Can anyone help me with this?.
- DAVIS, HAWKINS, HIPPARD, JOHNSON, NALEY, RACKLEY, STRONG posted by Marcia Larson on Tuesday, September 29, 1998
- Seeking info: on family of William (J) HIPPARD b. 1841-43 Radstock, Somerset, England. resided is Westmoreland Co. PA in 1885 marriages 1st England(?) 2nd Augusta JOHNSON, sons: William, Charles, Walter, 3rd Martha Ann DAVIS.son Thomas WEAL,(Thomas adopted by WEAL family mother dies young) dau. Jennie.. William had bother Mark HIPPARD who resided North Huntington Township and owned a store there. Mark was married to ? STRONG, sister in law Lillie STRONG, neices Elizabeth STRONG, J.S. Smith,Elizabeth Hawkins,R.E. Hadgson,nephews Walter RACKLEY, Thomas JOHNS, Would appreciate any info on any of the above or any Hippard residing in that area.
Return to the Archived
Query/Surname Index Page
Return to the Query/Surname Index Page
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project