- FINCK, FINK posted by George Fink on Saturday, August 1, 1998
- Am loking for information on Joel Fink who lived in Livermore. He Died 23 Feb 1907. He and his sons ran the water dept. I have some information from the Hellman Files,but it is incomplete.Any Help will be appreciated I also have data on over 1500 Finks that I will share for free..
- HAYDEN, VANKIRK posted by Charles W VanKirk Jr on Monday, August 3, 1998
- I am lookingfor information on William M VanKirk (1812-83) married to Camelia (Cornelia) Hayden (1826-91) & their 4 children: Wesley G (1847-1925), William A (1850-1916), John Z (1845-) & Caroline. They were residents of Rostraver Twp, Westmoreland Co, Pa..
- BREESELY, MITCHELL, PETTIT posted by Teri Pettit on Tuesday, August 4, 1998
- My "end of line" PETTIT ancestor is Matthew PETTIT born fall 1760 who enlisted in the Rev. Army in 1777 at Jacob's Creek in Westmoreland Co. PA. He does not appear to be a member of the Isaac PETTIT or Elijah PETTIT families, both of whom list their children in wills. The only clues I have to his parentage are: (1) he had some relatives named BREESELY [ref: Proceedings of a General Court Martial of the Line held at Pittsburgh the 6th day of June 1779 by order of Daniel Brodhead Esqr Col Commanding the Western Department. Lieut. Col Stephn Bayard President. Matthew Pettite a soldier in the 8th Pennsa Regt was brought before the Court, charg'd with Desertion. Pleads not Guilty. Sergt Kennedy of the 8th Pennsa Regt appeared before the Court on Oath says that he apprehended the said Pettite at one Breeseleys where his Relations were & that he did not think the Prisoner intended to return back to his Regiment�The Prisoner in his Defense says, he wanted to see his Relations! & wanted to get a Blanket] (2) He had a sister named Rebecca who married a MITCHELL [ref: military pension application of Mathew Pettit, dated 17 June 1818 and recorded by the clerk of the Bath Co. KY Court, Matthew's statements confirmed under oath by Mrs. Rebecca Mitchell who stated that she was his sister], and (3) he may be related to a Jeremiah PETTIT from Westmoreland Co. who was in the same company [ref: Pennsylvania Archives. Jeremiah PETTIT was listed on the same page (370) of the 1810 census of Montgomery Co., KY, was taxable in Lincoln Co., Ky on 8/23/1800. He is also likely to be the Jeremiah Pettit listed in the 1790 census of Allegheny Co., PA, with 2 males over 16 and 2 females. Perhaps Matthew and Jeremiah were sharing a household?] Can anyone help me find the parents of Matthew PETTIT & his sister Rebecca PETTIT MITCHELL?.
- FERRINGER, FORINGER posted by Diana Rawlins on Tuesday, August 4, 1998
- Any info on DEWALT FERRINGER m. Christina and Mary. Living Westmoreland Co. from 1793 through at least 1806. 1839 in Armonstrg Co., Pa..
- MUIR posted by George Barnes on Wednesday, August 5, 1998
- Husband: George Muir b. 5 Dec 1818 Scotland
Married ? ? Wife: Janet Patterson b. est. 1808-1828 ? Scotland
Children: James Connor Muir b. 8 Jan 1854 Bolivar, Westmoreland Co., PA
Alex Muir b. est. 1840-1860 ?
Looking for any information on above. Also looking for any info on George's brother Walter Muir, Sr. b. 10 Aug 1814 Scotland d. 29 Apr 1880 Westmoreland Co., PA. Wife unknown, son was Walter Muir, Jr. no dates or info. George, his wife Janet, Walter, his wife, ? , and the widow of C.G. Patterson arrived in PA, 4 Jul 1852. Please let me know if you have any info.
- HAUCK, HAWK, HOUCK, RIDENOUR posted by Susan Hawk on Wednesday, August 5, 1998
- HAWK, Leonard (b)Jan 5, 1797 Westmoreland County, PA (d) June 16, 1871, married, Feb 1819 Jefferson County, OH, RIDENOUR, Margaret (b) Dec 25, 1800 (d) March 6,1888. (Have descendants down to my husband) Leonard's father HAWK, Michael (b) 1773 (Westmoreland Co.,PA/Philadlephia Co.PA) (d) 1850, married ca 1790 Magdalena ( ) Michael's father HAWK, Jacob (b) 1750 (d) 1820 married (?) Jacob's father HOUCK, Jacob arrived from Rotterdam Sept 21, 1742 in Philadelphia. Have a great book "History and Record of the HAWK Family" 1993. Would be interested in information about the HOUCK/HAWK family coming to America....were they from Holland or Germany???? Happy to exchange information
- KEISTER posted by Paul Izant on Wednesday, August 5, 1998
- I'm looking for information and for descendents of David Keister (1824-1890) and Margaret Lauffer Keister (1827-1921) who lived in Franklin Township near Murrysville and Export - Westmoreland County. Have alot of information that I'll gladly share and would like to learn more about the family..
- BRICKER, SCHULTZ, WOODS posted by Sharon Kelly on Thursday, August 6, 1998
- I am searching for the ancestry of George H. Bricker. He married Elmira Schultz. Their son Charles Bricker was born on October 1, 1870 and died Nov. 19, 1937. He was married to Margaret Woods. I believe that George and Elmira Bricker lived in Westmoreland County, possibly in Hampfield Township. The 1900 census lists an Elmira Bricker as the head of household..
- DEEMER, LAPE, LEAR, TANTLINGER posted by Judy Douglas on Friday, August 7, 1998
- Researching the surname LEAR in Westmoreland Co. Early 1800's through present. Allied surnames LAPE, DEEMER, and TANTLINGER.
- BAUGHMAN posted by Jamie Kollar on Friday, August 7, 1998
- I am looking for information on George BAUGHMAN
George Baughman, (July 21, 1841 - September 21, 1908), born in Ringgold Twp. PA married to Sarah Ann Maurer, (June 24, 1847 - May 31,1922). Their marriage date was August 19, 1862, married in Brookville, PA by Rev. Thomas Graham.
Their children included: James Franklin Baughman, Albert Wisiner Baughman, Emma Clarice Baughman, John W. Baughman, Mary Elizabeth Baughman, Edna I. Zella Baughman, Ella Quindoria Baughman, Virtie Dell Baughman, Nora Isabella Baughman, Ida Merle Baughman, Mattie Tivila Baughman, Nellie Cedella Baughman, George Lewis Baughman and Mollie Jennie Baughman.
Thanks for any help you can give me and if I can provide any additonal information to you please let me know.
- WATERS posted by Jamie Kollar on Friday, August 7, 1998
- I am looking for information on James WATERS Sr. (1870 - 1949) married to Alice Clancy Waters (1882-1945). James and Alice Clancy Waters had a daughter (one of many children) named Alice Katherine Waters (Dec. 28, 1904 - Nov. 1984) Alice married Paul Robinson Baughman (April 24, 1903 - December 1983) (my grandparents)
There are also other Waters's buried at the same place, if you think any of this may sound familiar, I can send you the information that I have on them. I know that my Waters' family came from the Mt. Pleasant, PA area, Westmoreland County. However, I am not sure where they were prior to that. I do know that they originally came from Ireland at some point in time though. Thanks for any help you can give me and if I can provide any additonal information to you please let me know.
- FRANKENBERRY posted by Sean Vaughn on Friday, August 7, 1998
- I am searching for information on a Carl Frankenberry whos original surname would have been Pesta. He was adopted in Fayette or a surrounding county around this time. I am particularly interested in finding any information about the surname of Pesta..
- BECK, EMMERT, FINDLEY, FREY, GROSS, TROUT posted by Margaret Gagliardi on Sunday, August 9, 1998
- Does anyone know of the existance of pictures of Andrew B. FINDLEY s/o Jessie and Mary (TROUT) FINDLEY and his wife Sarah GROSS d/o David and Catharine (BECK) GROSS? Also pictures of George Peter FREY s/o George Michael and Hanna (EMMERT) FREY and his wife Carrie M. FINDLEY, d/o Andrew B. and Sarah (Gross) FINDLEY? Would also like to share research with anyone working on these families..
- KING, WILLIAMS posted by Margie Pearce on Sunday, August 9, 1998
- Elijah WILLIAMS (c1804, PA-1872, WI) m. Catherine KING (d. bef. 1842). The couple had three children: Elizabeth (b. c1824, PA), Jesse (1832, Westmoreland Co-1813, IN) and Mara (b. c1834). After Catherine's death, Elijah m. Cora DUNBAR and had 4 more children: James (b. c1842, PA), Ellen (b. c1846, PA), Nancy R. (b. c1848, OH) and Emanuel (b. c1849, IN). Cora may have died in childbirth or soon after because she is not listed on the 1850 Census of Root Twp., Adams Co, IN. Who were Elijah and Catherine's parents? What happened to Mara? Did Elijah marry both women in Westmoreland Co? Help!!
- CRAIG, DAVID, GORDON, HIGBEE, JONES, MULLEN, STEFANKO, ZINCK posted by Barbara Schmitt on Sunday, August 9, 1998
- Researching for marriage record of Chrisann CRAIG shown on 1870 census Westmoreland Co., Sewickley Twp. m. John HIGBEE appx 1871 living in 14th Ward Allegheny County 1870 working at Eliza (or Elizabeth) Blast Furnace. ch William Smith, Lauretta, Josephine & John. Possible religion Methodist Episcopal..
- HARGROVE, MCMAHAN posted by Shirley Thul on Sunday, August 9, 1998
- Need info on John MCMAHAN & wife Margaret HARGROVE who were in Westmoreland late 1700's or early 1800's. Who were their parents,were they born in this country. Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Willing to share MCMAHAN info which I have..
- KLINGENSMITH, SHEARER, YINGST posted by Scott Emmel on Monday, August 10, 1998
- It has been suggested to me that I needed to post this query to the Westmoreland County page because of a large number of Klingensmiths in the county, so here is my query...
Specifically, I am chasing the families of Andrew Shearer and Mary "Polly" Klingensmith Shearer in lived in Buffalo Township, Butler County.
I am looking for information regarding the parents of both... I don't have my specific information on their parents, but I have a lot of information on their children.
Also, we are looking for the parents of Catherine Klingensmith. Catherine was the wife of Henry Shearer.
According to the 1850 census, they (Henry and Catherine) appear to be neighbors with Andrew and Mary. Another individual has informed me that Catherine's maiden name was Klingensmith. It is possible that she and Mary are sisters.
Also, we don't know exactly how yet, but the name YINGST comes into play with Mary "Polly". In one listing, she is Polly Yingst, in another she is Polly Klingensmith.
If anyone can help me find the parents or any information on any of these folks, we would love to hear from you.
- SHADRACH, SHADRIC, SHADRICK, SHEDRIC, SHEDRICK posted by Jeannette Chipka on Tuesday, August 11, 1998
- Searching for any SHADRACH, SHADRICK, SHEDRIC, SHEDRICK this county abt. 1840 -1860.
- KISKADDEN posted by Lyn Gillson on Tuesday, August 11, 1998
- I am seeking information on James Kiskadden, b.c.1781-90,in PA, who is listed in the 1830 census for Nicholaus Co. Ky. He may be connected to the Kiskaddens of Westmoreland Co..
- CLINGLESMITH, KLINGENSMITH, KLINGLESMITH, WALDTHOUSER posted by Dan Klinglesmith on Tuesday, August 11, 1998
- Looking for ancestors of Philip Klingensmith born in Westmoreland CO. PA 1732. Also information on John George Klinglesmith, born in Westmoreland CO., PA. Apparently son of Philip Klingensmith. Why the name change?.
- BALAK posted by George Loughner on Wednesday, August 12, 1998
- In Westmoreland County is/has anyone come across the name Balak. The last reference I have is Stephen and Elizabeth Balak, buried in Mt. Pleasant. Her maiden name was Macey..
- LAWSON posted by James King on Thursday, August 13, 1998
- Looking for descendants of James Barbour Lawson and Sarah Fleming Lawson who imigrated from Ireland about the time of the Revolution and settled in WESTMORELAND Co. Their children included: Jenny, Thomas, David, Robert, William, Catherine, Jane, Sarah, Joseph, John, Elizabeth, Hugh and James, all born between 1775 and 1795.
- AUKERMAN posted by Kay Upole on Thursday, August 13, 1998
- I am searching for information about PHILIP AUKERMAN married to Christina. They lived in Westmoreland County, Unity Township in the mid to late 1700-early 1800. Both were natives to Germany. They had at least one son: George married to Rebecca Kistler. George and Rebecca lived in Westmoreland County, Unity Township, Pennsylvania when they married around the year 1815, but moved to Wayne County, Congress Township, Ohio sometime between 1818-1820. They had 13 children, one of them also named George, born May 16, 1823. He was married to Elizabeth. George had 4 children, all born in Ohio: Henry, Mary, Elizabeth, and Barbara. If anyone knows anything about Philip and his family I would appreciate hearing from you. Any information will be welcomed. Thank you..
- SCOTT posted by Georgia Bryngelson on Friday, August 14, 1998
- Looking for information on William Scott and son James of Allegheny Township, Westmoreland County, PA. William was a miller, son James was a farmer and also a miller. William Scott born ca 1764, son James born ca 1803. Need country of origin for William or was he born in America..
- DELL, HARMAN posted by Anna Belle Yoder Emery on Friday, August 14, 1998
- HARMAN, Mary b. circa 1830 in Donegal, Westmoreland Co. PA, d. circa 1907 in Clairton, Allegheny County, PA, m. 1850 Jacob Dell who died 1899. They had at least 7 children, including Philip, Henry, John, William Franklin, and Elsie. What I know about Mary: she was a member of the Dunkard church, she resided in Duquesne, Allegheny, PA for many years, she and Jacob are buried in Derry, PA. These are my maternal great grandparents and I would like to know more about their ancestors. If you have any information on the Harman or Dell families, please Email me. Thanks..
- HARROLD, SHEPLAR posted by Julie Ickes on Friday, August 14, 1998
- Am researching the Harrold/Sheplar families of Westmoreland County. I have extensive information. Will exchange iformation with anyone. Am looking for Civil War info on John Jacob Harrold 6/4/1811 - 1885. Was at Gettysburg. Also James Sheplar at Gettysburg. Can offer other contacts as well..
- BARNETT, BARRON, CASE, DAWSON, HUGHES posted by Twila Smith on Saturday, August 15, 1998
- I am seeking information on Peter CASE who appears in the 1830 Derry Twp. census. Is this the same Peter CASE b. 1766 d. 1851 lived Jeff. Co. Pa. My ancestor Mary (HUGHES) HUGHES living in household in 1850. Is he a relative? Does he connect to the BARNETT, BARRON, DAWSON families? Who was his wife? children? Seeking any information on CASE, BARRON, DAWSON, HUGHES families of Derry Twp.
- RIDDLE, RIDLE posted by Donna Mohney on Sunday, August 16, 1998
- It's entirely possible that Riddles and Ridles were connected. There were Riddells as well who tied into the family. My Riddles left Westmoreland County before 1800 and I don't have anything on a Peter. I'll keep it in mind though in case I run across anything.
- AND, BAER, JOHNS, PETERSON, ROSE, SWANK posted by Sharon Trosan on Sunday, August 16, 1998
- Westmoreland County: Hello Everyone, I am searching the surnames SWANK (SWINK), PETERSON, JOHNS, ROSE and BAER in the Westmoreland and surrounding counties.
- BEEZER, CARNAHAN, MCFADDEN, YOUNG posted by Ruth Swan Johnson on Monday, August 17, 1998
- I am researching my BEEZER, CARNAHAN, MCFADDEN, and YOUNG lines in Pennsylvania. My great-grandparents, Charles BEEZER and Mary YOUNG BEEZER, lived in Jeannette, Westmoreland County in the late 1800's. I believe he may have had a meat market there. They were Catholic. Charles died in Jeannette. I would like to find his grave. I would enjoy corresponding with anyone researching the same lines.
- PENIX, PENNIX, PINEX posted by Bob Adams on Tuesday, August 18, 1998
- Researching Penix in Westmoreland County..
- BURGAR, JERMAN posted by Gary McLean on Thursday, August 20, 1998
- I am looking for more information on the JERMAN family that emigrated from Carniola, Austria (now Slovenia) to Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania near Yukon in the early 1900's.
Matthew JERMAN was born 28 February 1884 and lived in Dorniki (parish Zapoge). He immigrated to the Yukon area in the early 1900's and worked in a coal mine. He died in a coal mine accident (?) on 8 August 1913 and was buried in Seven Dolors Church Cemetery, Yukon.
Matthew JERMAN married Johanna BURGAR in Europe before immigrating to the US. Johanna was born 31 October 1884 and lived in Vodice nad Ljubljana (Leibach), parish Vodice. Johanna BURGAR died of influenza on 28 October 1918 and was buried in Seven Dolors Church Cemetery.
- REAMER posted by Maureen Laney on Friday, August 21, 1998
- Seeking information about the family of REUBEN REAMER, b.ca. 1835 in Pa. Lived in Westmoreland Co, married Lavina (maiden name unknown) and had 4 children: Carrie, Ida, Irwin, and Janus (sp?). Would like to find maiden name of Lavina, and parents/siblings of Reuben..
- FIRMSTONE, MCBETH posted by Linda Carmichael on Sunday, August 23, 1998
- I am looking for any information on William Clifford Firmstone. All I know on him is that he married my grandmother Zella Mills. They lived in the county of westmoreland in Keifer town. They had six chrildren. He left my grandmother when all the children were very young. I will be guessing at the time frame of 1920 to 1930. I beleive he passed away before 1952. My great grandmother was Amanda May McBeth She was born in 8-7-1884. She had all daughters. Rose, Hazel, Leona, and Zella. She was married to William S Mills. I know for a time they lived in Bridgeport, PA. She passed away in 1973 in Connellsville. I am really hitting a break wall on these family member. Any help would be very welcome..
- EDWARDS, MCQUISTON posted by Eddie Davis on Sunday, August 23, 1998
- Seeking parents names and place of birth for Dorothy Elizabeth MCQUISTON and her husband Edward EDWARDS. Edwards was born in Wales or England and moved to Pennsylvania, possibly Westmoreland County, where he was a railroad engineer. He died in January of 1883 in a train accident. Dorothy was 7 months pregnant with their child at the time of the accident and she moved to Kansas with her 3 brothers. One brother was Joseph, born 1860 in Pennsylvania. Dorothy was born in PA too (May 1846, died aft. 1900 in AR), as was her and Joseph's parents. I believe that the train accident on January 8th, 1883 in Chester County, Pennsylvania was the one which killed Edward, but I need more proof, such as newspaper accounts. Dorothy gave birth in Kansas to a daughter, May Florence Edwards on 4-4-1883, and May married Calvin Leroy Vaughan and lived in Madison County, Arkansas. Near her was her uncle Joseph and his family. Dorothylived in Arkansas too and never remarried. I need ANY information on this family, and would like to talk to anyone researching the Edwards or McQuiston line in PA.
- HART, MUNDELL, MUNDLE posted by Barbara Emery on Sunday, August 23, 1998
- Seeking info. re. marriage of John HART b. 5 June 1759 Berkeley Co., VA, now WV and Margaret MUNDELL/MUNDLE b. 1760 Christiana Hundred, New Castle Co., DE. Marriage 1777-1779 in area of Westmoreland Co. that became Washington and later Greene Co., Pa. Any information appreciated.
- EATON, HAZLETT, KEENER, MILLER posted by Steve Bishoff on Wednesday, August 26, 1998
- Looking for information on parents of Benedict Eaton cited in 1850 census as living in Ligonier, Westmoreland County, PA. Also for parents of Mary Hazlett, first wife of Dr. Samuel Garvin Miller and for parents of his mother, Mary Keener, wife of Samuel Garvin Miller Sr.
- DEVOSS posted by Robert Campbell on Wednesday, August 26, 1998
- Seek further information on ISAAC DEVOSS born WESTMORELAND County, Pennsylvania circa 1 Dec., 1788 and on his father JOSEPH DEVOSS and uncles JOHN and DANIEL DEVOSS. They also lived in WESTMORELAND COUNTY, PA circa 1788. Any information would be greatly appreciated and will share what little information we have. Sincerely, Robert Campbell, DEVOSS descendant.
- MANCOFF, MANNHOFER, MARCOFF, ORY posted by Linda Mcmurray on Wednesday, August 26, 1998
- looking for information on Christine Ory [born between 1719 and 1725] married to Nikolas Mannhofer [sometimes listed as Marcoff, Mancoff and later as Malbrou in Louisiana records. I believe she is related to the Francois Ory family that settled in Cocalico Township, Westmoreland county. Ory arrived on June 16, 1736 aboard the ship "Princess Augusta". He died around 1758 or 1759. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
- GEIGER posted by Carol Collins on Thursday, August 27, 1998
- An article called "The Larimer Township Story" in the Daily American, Aug. 21, 1974 states: "Some of the early settlers in the region were Johnathon Long, Danile Lepley and Richard GEIGER." Looking for information on Richard GEIGER of Larimer Twp. Westmoreland County. Also interested in a copy of the article..
- GHEZZI, PANGRAZZI posted by C. Ghezzi on Thursday, August 27, 1998
- Searching for links with Ghezzi or Pangrazzi. Living in Westmoreland Co possiibly Latrobe. Cheasare? Ghezzi thought to have died 1918 and buried in area. Wife and family returned to Italy. .
- SCHICK posted by Wendy Preisach on Thursday, August 27, 1998
- I am looking for info. on WILLIAM SCHICK. Born in LATROBE, WESTMORELAND COUNTY, PA. He married a SARAH BURKEMYRE. They had several children. One of which was LORRETTA SCHICK-COCHRANE..
- BEATTY posted by Nicki Beatty on Friday, August 28, 1998
- Am interested in Henry BEATTY, b. abt 1763 in Westmoreland Co, PA according to his Am. Rev. War pension application. He was in Kentucky in 1793 and died in 1840 in Estill Co, KY. Any information would be great!
- LAWRY, LOWRY, SHANK, SHUNK posted by James Walker on Friday, August 28, 1998
- Catherine (Shank),(Shunk)married Henry Giese (Lowry),(Lawry) in 1838 and they moved to Ligonier Westmoreland Co.Pa. shortly there after. They continued to live there while Henry served in the Civil War. Catherine was born 11 Aug 1820 in Somerset Co.Pa. Henry's parents were Jacob Lowry Jr.,and Elizabeth Giese Lowry. This information was published in the Laurel Messenger in Feb 1997. Need information on who her parents were..
- MCKLVEEN, SCOTT posted by Janet Warter on Friday, August 28, 1998
- There was a William "Scot" in the Donegal Twp., Westmoreland Co., PA tax lists for 1805 & 1806, with one horse, one cow, and a patent for 354 acres. Was this your WILLIAM SCOTT, or perhaps one of his sons? Also in Donegal Twp. at this time was Isabella Scott, born in Ireland about 1786/87, who married John MCKLVEEN about 1806. The latter are my ancestors. (See my query of 30 Apr. 1998, Westmoreland Co.) Isabella may be a daughter of William Scott, but no proof..
- DELUGA, DLUGA posted by Linda Krauter on Saturday, August 29, 1998
- Searching for Elizabth Dluga b. 1904 in Mt. Pleasant, Westmoreland Co., Pa. Had 3 children by 1944 in Chicago, Ill. No names of siblings or her parents. Could later have been changed to DeLuga.
- KETTERING posted by Daniel Kettering on Sunday, August 30, 1998
- I am looking for information on all Westmoreland Ketterings to try to put together a tree. My immediate relatives were Daniel born 1880 Bell Township and his father Robert of which I Have little knowledge also his fathr was said to be John.
Return to the Archived
Query/Surname Index Page
Return to the Query/Surname Index Page
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project