ALFRED R. WOODS, of New Kensington, is the son of William P. Woods, who was born in 1811, in the north of Scotland, whence he came in 1831 or 32 to the United States, settling in Center county, Pennsylvania. He was a shoemaker by trade, but after his emigration engaged in the lumber business and in farming. In 1861 he enlisted in the One Hundred and Fifth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served until 1864, when he received wounds which proved fatal. He was a member of the Baptist church. Mr. Woods married Mary, daughter of Andrew Vasbinder, and their children were: Oliver P., deceased; William A., assistant warden of insane criminal asylum, Ionia, Michigan; Nancy A., deceased wife of William Covert; Joseph V., deceased; John B., harness manufacturer of Indiana; Samuel M., also of Indiana; and Alfred R., mentioned hereafter.
Alfred R. Woods, son of William P. and Mary (Vasbinder) Woods, was born November 14, 1857, near Brookville, Jefferson county, and received his education in the Soldiers' Orphan school, Dayton, Armstrong county, and at the Union Academy. At eighteen he went to learn the marble cutter's trade with J. S. Moore, of Brookville, where he remained sixteen years. He then entered into partnership with A. B. McLain, and together they established the marble and granite business in Brookville under the firm name of A. P. McLain & Company. At the end of three years they moved to New Kensington, being among the pioneers, and there successfully continued the business. Since the spring of 1905 Mr. Woods son, Robert A., has been sole proprietor. In politics Mr. Woods is a Republican. He and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Woods married Mary, daughter of John Hams, and their children are: Edna M., wife of John C. Sullivan; Robert A., successor to his father's business; Lillie E., graduate of Duff College, stenographer for D. J. Kennedy, of Pittsburg; Maud M., at home; Anna E., in telephone office, Pittsburg; James B., at home; William M., at home; Jackson E., at home; and Dorothy, at home.
Source: Page(s) 189-190, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed May 2007 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project