GUSTAVUS ADOLPHUS WINEMAN, of the firm of Wineman & Getty, dealers in furniture and musical instruments, of Greensburg, Pennsylvania, ranks among the thrifty business men of the city. He was born near the present site of Youngwood, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, June 2, 1871, the san of Andrew and Catherine C. (Rugh) Wineman.
I. The American ancestor of this family was John George Wineman, a native of Germany, coming from Muenchingen, Wuertenberg, with his wife, Anna Catherine (Laundmesser) Wineman, and, children: Barbara, Jacob, Regena, George, Andrew, mentioned hereafter. After coming to this country the children born were John and Mary. The family came from their German home across the sea in the ship "Columbia"; they sailed from Amsterdam July 14, 1831, and landed at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The ancestor, John George, was born in 1790, and died, aged ninety-three years, in 1883, The wife of the paternal ancestor came from those of high official position in Germanv. They were both strict, devout Lutherans. They settled near Greensburg, Pennsylvania, in Hempfield township on land bought at eighteen dollars per acre. It is still in possession of the family, a spot sacred to every member of the generations descending from them.
II. Andrew Wineman, son of John George and Anna Catherine Wineman, was born at Muenchingen, canton of Ledberg, in the kingdom of Wuertenberg. Germany, November 11, 1830. He was less than a year old at the date of his parents coming to America. He received a good common school education in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, and followed the cabinet-making business for a few years at New Stanton, Pennsylvania, but subsequently settled on the old farm, tilled the soil, raised, bought and sold stock, especially horses for the eastern city markets. He was a strict Lutheran, and early became a member of the old Harrolds church, of which he was for many years an officer and very active worker. He also founded the Youngwood Lutheran church in 1901. Politically he was a stanch Republican. Mr. Wineman married, when about twenty-nine years of age, Catherine Caroline Rugh, whose parents, Peter and Elizabeth Rugh. resided where "Huff town" now stands, a part of Greensburg. She was born August 12, 1839. The children by that union are: Anna Margaret, married; Elizabeth Amanda, married; Mary Jane, single: Jacob Ezra, married; Gustavus Adolphus, married; Charlotte Agnes, married; William Henry, married; a college graduate; and George Franklin, single. Andrew Wineman, father of these children died February 14, 1904, and his good wife, so long his life companion, still lives on the old Wineman homestead, beloved by all.
Of the Rugh family it may here be stated that their ancestor came to this country about 1680, settling in eastern Pennsylvania. His name was Michae1 Rugh. A member of the family went over the Allegheny mountains, settling in what is now Westmoreland county. In the acts of the assembly, September 17, 1785, it is recorded: "Whereas, the Seat of Justice for the county of Westmoreland hath not been heretofore established by law, etc., etc., it was enacted by the freemen of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania that five trustees be appointed to purchase a piece of land in trust for use of the inhabitants of Westmoreland county. Provided: That said piece of land be not situated farther east than "nine mile run," nor farther west than "Brushy Run" or farther north than Loyalhanna, nor farther south than five miles south of the old Pennsylvania road, leading to Pittsburg, on which ground said courthouse and prison." The trustees appointed to act were: Benjamin Davis, Michael Rugh, John Shields, John Pomeroy, and Hugh Martin. Michae1 Rugh owned the land where now stands the steel works and the borough of Hufftown. Jacob Rugh was Michael Rugh's son, and the father of Peter Rugh, whose daughter Caroline intermarried with the Winemans.
III. Gustavus Adolphus Wineman, son of Andrew Wineman, received a good common school education in the schools of Hempfie1d township, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, and then learned the carpenter's and builders trade, following that and contracting until 1902, when he in company with H. M. Zundell purchased the furniture business of C. T. Barnhart, who had operated it a quarter of a century. Politically Mr. Wineman is a Republican, and in religious matters, like his forefathers, adheres to the Lutheran church. He first held membership in Harrolds church, but after his marriage united with the First Lutheran Church of Greensburg, of which his wife is·also a member, though formerly a Presbyterian. Mr. Wineman was a member of the borough council for four years at South West Greensburg, and for the past three years has been president of the school board. He was among the first to build in that borough, erecting several residences which materially aided in the growth and development of the place. In 1905 he in company with George S. Getty, purchased the Greensburg Trading Company business, wherein is carried a full line of furniture and household supplies and musical instruments, selling his interest in the furniture establishment of Wineman & Zundel.
Mr. Wineman married. December 30, 1896, Mary J. Bierer, of Cedarville, Virginia, daughter of J. M. and Susan (Painter) Bierer. She was born near Greensburg, November 23, 1871. Her father's family were prominent in the service of the Union army in Civil War days, volunteering as soldiers at Latrobe. Mr. and Mrs. Wineman are the parents of three children: Grace Virginia, John Bierer, and Mary Caroline.
In conclusion it should be stated that every old citizen around Greensburg well remembers the eventful, though quiet and reserved life of John George Wineman, the grandfather of Gustavus A. Wineman, who built up both state and church by an honest, exemplary life. Also the late Andrew Wineman, father of Gustavus A. Wineman, who bore well his part in making the surroundings of Greensburg What they are in a number of ways. Gustavus A. Wineman is taking up the duties laid down by both father and grandfather.
Source: Page(s) 84-85, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed February 2006 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project