GEORGE W. TORRENCE. The father of George W. Torrence, of Smithton, was James Torrence, a native of Scotland, who married Nancy J. Taylor, who was born and bred in Indiana. They were the parents of six children, the sole survivor being George W. Torrence, born May 21, 1862, in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.
As early as his ninth year Mr. Torrence began to work for neighboring farmers, and in his intervals of labor attended the common schools. At the age of twenty he went to work in the Eureka mines in South Huntingdon township, where he was employed for four years. He was then employed for eighteen months in the store of Rhoades Brothers & Newcomer, at Jacobs Creek, after which he moved to Smithton where he opened a barber's shop, employing a barber under whose instructions he acquired a thorough knowledge of the business. Two years later, when Benjamin Harrison was elected president, Mr. Torrence was appointed postmaster of Smithton, serving during the ensuing four years, and for six months under the Cleveland administration. When McKinley was elected Mr. Torrence was reappointed, and has since served continuously. He is a member of Smithton Lodge, No. 328, Knights of Pythias, and Greensburg Lodge, No. 511, Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. Mr. Torrence married in 1885, Ada May, daughter of W. N. Lynn, of Jacobs Creek, and six children have been born to them, four of whom survive: Capitola, Grace, B. Harrison and Chalmer. All these children are at home with their parents. The musical talent of the family is remarkable. Mr. Torrence and all his children, down to the youngest, are musicians and are able to play with skill on various instruments.
Source: History of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, Volume II, by John N. Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906, Page 291.
Transcribed by Carol C. Eddleman for the Westmoreland County History Project.
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project