Robert Taylor

ROBERT TAYLOR, son of Isaac and Elizabeth (Bosler) Taylor, was born near Turtle Creek, Allegheny county, September 3, 1829. He was one of a large family, but four of whom are still living: Edward, residing at the old homestead; James, also at the homestead; Elizabeth. living with her brothers on the farm; Joseph, living near Long Run Church, Allegheny county. Isaac Taylor, father of Robert Taylor, was born and reared in Allegheny county. Upon reaching manhood he located at Turtle Creek. cohere he managed a hotel for many years, meanwhile acquiring valuable farm lands. Later he retired from the hotel business and settled on one of his farms, where he spent the remainder of his years.

Robert Taylor grew up at home, acquiring his education in the common schools. At the age of eighteen or twenty he engaged in the tanning business in the vicinity of Greensburg. He carried on this business for a number of years, and then came to West Newton and engaged in the lumber and the grain business, in which he prospered, having excellent business qualifications. In 1895, in company with W. S. Van Dyke and S. C. Weimer, he organized the banking firm of Van Dyke, Weimer and Taylor, which became the leading banking institution of this section of the county. They sold the business to the First National Bank in 1899. In politics Mr. Taylor was a staunch Republican, and served nine years as a school director, but refused other offices which were tendered him. He was a public-spirited citizen and was ever active in any movement to promote the business welfare of West Newton. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church, and its treasurer for many years. He married, March 18, 1856, Sidney Markle, a daughter of General Joseph and Elizabeth (Lloyd) Markle. They had four children, two of whom survive: Ada B., wife of Dr. L. B. Sutton, of West Newton; and Caroline, wife of W. S. Van Dyke, a banker, of Pittsburg. Robert Taylor died in January, 1899. Mrs. Taylor still resides at West Newton.  

Source: Page(s) 238-239, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed August 2008 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (

Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:

These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.



Return to Westmoreland County Home Page

(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project