CURTIN PHILIP STEINER. It is safe to say that no citizen of South Greensburg is better or more favorably known to the population at large that is Curtin Philip Steiner. His great-grandfather, who emigrated to this country from Germany, was the father of six sons, the names of five whom have been preserved : Philip, Joseph, John, Henry, and Jacob.
John C. Steiner, son of Philip Steiner, mentioned above, was born in 1840, in Westmoreland county, where he grew up on a farm and learned the trade of a shoemaker, which he followed for some years. Later he engaged in farming and other occupations. In July, 1864, he enlisted in Company I, Two Hundred and Eleventh Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, serving until the close of the war, and receiving a wound in the head from a spent ball. While living in New Stanton he was for fifteen years a justice of the peace, and since his removal to Scottdale, in 1895, has held the same office. He belongs to the G. A. R., the Grange, the J. O. U. A. M., the I. O. O. F., and the K. of M. he is one of the leading Democrats of Scottdale, and is a member of the Lutheran church. Mr. Steiner married Harriet C. Pool, and their children are : Lizzie M., wife of Luther M. Hays, of East Greensburg ; Curtin Philip, of whom later ; Catherine T. Wife of James E. Funks, of New Stanton ; Charles E., of Scottdale ; Anna M., at home ; Joseph M., engaged in the cigar business in Scottdale ; Samuel O., in partnership with his brother Joseph M. ; and Sarah H., at home.
Curtin Philip Steiner, son of John C. and Harriet C. (Pool) Steiner, was born October 10, 1863, in New Stanton, and received his education in the common schools. When no more than twelve years of age he worked for neighboring farmers during harvest, and when somewhat older was employed in the stone quarry. About the time of attaining his majority he worked for on year in a general store in New Stanton, after which he found employment as a locomotive fireman on the Pennsylvania Railway. This position he held four years, and at the end of that time was made engineer. In 1892, after running his engine for three years, he resigned his position an engaged in the cigar business in Scottdale. In 1897 he became the proprietor of the Central Hotel in Scottdale, which he disposed of by sale six months later. For some months thereafter he represented a Pittsburg house as a traveling salesman, and then went to Connellsville, where he once more engaged in the cigar business. In January, 1900, he settled in South Greensburg, and again became the proprietor of a hotel which his genial qualities as a host soon made extremely popular. In consequence of the fact that his business speedily outgrew the dimensions of his building, Mr. Steiner erected, in the summer and winter of 1903 a remarkably fine hotel structure of light pressed brick, supplied with all the modern hotel improvements. In April, 1904, he took possession of this building, which he opened under the name of the Colonial Road House and which has since been one of the leading hotels of Greensburg, noted alike for the admirable manner in which it is conducted and for the obliging qualities of its host. Mr. Steiner also erected two residence properties in Greensburg, of which he is still the owner. He is a Democrat in politics, and a member of the Lutheran church. Mr. Steiner married, August 4, 1897, Mary L. Gallagher, of Connellsville, an their children are : James Donald and Joseph Curtin.
Source Pages 40 & 41 History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N. Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906
Transcribed June 9, 1999 by Marilynn Wienke for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project