DAVID H. SMITH, postmaster of Yohoghany and a merchant of Shaners Station, was born in Milesville, Allegheny county, October 7, 1872. He was the son of Samuel and Martha E. (Murray) Smith, and was one of a family of nine children, four of whom survive: Emma, wife of Alfred Dulin, Shaner; Ruth, wife of William Brown, Sewickley township, Westmoreland county; Edward, Massillon, Ohio; and David H., of whom later. His father, Samuel Smith, was born in 1833, probably in Washington county, on the Yohoghany river. He was reared here and engaged in the work of mining. In 1861 he enlisted in the service of Company D, Ringold Cavalry, serving until the close of the war. While out on scout duty he was severely injured by his horse falling on him. The injury was in the spine and made him a cripple for life. Upon his return from the war he settled at Monongahela City and resumed his work in the mines. About 1872 he removed to Gratstown, and about five years later to Suterville, where he resided up to the time of his death, in 1884, which was occasioned by his being struck by a train while crossing the railroad track. His daughter, who was with him at the time, was so badly injured that she was made a cripple. Mr. Smith was a Republican in politics, and a member of Rankin Post, No. 127, G. A. R., of Boston, Pennsylvania. Martha E. (Murray) Smith, wife of Samuel Smith, was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, opposite Monongahela City, in 1837. She was the daughter of Daniel and Margaret (Carney) Murray, natives of Ireland. Her grandfather was a farmer. Her grandmother lived to the age of ninety-eight, while her mother died at McKeesport at the very advanced age of one hundred and three.
The paternal grandparents of David H. Smith were John and Sarah (Boyd) Smith. John Smith was born in Washington county, his ancestors having come from Ireland. He was a farmer and resided the greater portion of his life in Allegheny county. He died in 1884 at the age of eighty-two. Sarah (Boyd) Smith, his wife, was of German parentage, and was the adopted daughter of Archibald Boyd, a prominent farmer of Westmoreland county.
David H. Smith was sent to the Soldiers' Orphans' school at Uniontown, where he received his education. When sixteen years old, he left the school and returned to Suterville, where he was employed in the mines for five years. He then entered the employ of Rhodes and Smith, general merchants of Blythedale, as a clerk, remaining with them for six years, after which he came to Shaners Station and was employed three years in the store of L. D. Sisler. In 1901 Mr. Smith engaged in business for himself, opening a general store in Shaners Station, where he has built up a prosperous business. On November 22, 1899, Mr. Smith received an appointment as postmaster under Postmaster General Perry S. Heath and has held the office ever since. In politics he is a Republican. He is a member of Yohoghany Council, No. 255, Junior Order of United American Mechanics of Suterville, and of the Yohoghany Valley Lodge, No. 555, of Coulter, Pennsylvania. He is a member of the school board, and is one of the well known men of this section of Westmoreland county. Mr. Smith is unmarried.
Source: History of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, Volume II, by John N. Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906, Page 276-7.
Transcribed by Carol C. Eddleman for the Westmoreland County History Project.
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project