CHARLES M. SLOAN, M. D., was born May 9, 1867, in Salem township, Westmoreland county, son of John and Prudence (Buchanan) Sloan; he is one of seven children, the others being: Alexander M., an attorney of Greensburg; Melissa M., wife of John A. Steele, of Goff, Pennsylvania; Nannie J., living at home; James W., of Nebraska; Robert H., of Pueblo, Colorado; David E., M. D., of Charleroi, Pennsylvania. John Sloan, father of Dr. Sloan, was born and reared in Washington township, this county, but while yet a young man bought a farm in Salem township and resided there until about 1888, when he retired from active pursuits and removed to Greensburg where he is now residing. In politics he is a Democrat, and was a candidate for the office of county treasurer against J. J. Kappenberger, but was defeated. He is a member of the Second Presbyterian Church of Greensburg, and is one of the most highly esteemed citizens of the borough.
Charles M. Sloan received his early education in the public schools and Greensburg Seminary. He began to teach school when about eighteen years of age and taught for four years, then accepted a position as manifest clerk for the Pennsylvania Railroad, continuing in that capacity for some eighteen months. In 1893 he began reading medicine with his brother, David E., who was then located at Pittsburg, and in the fall of the year 1894 entered the medical department of the Western University of Pennsylvania, whence he graduated in the spring of 1897. In the following June he took the state board examination, and in August of the same year began practice at Madison, where he has since continued and has built up a remunerative practice. In politics he is a Democrat but holds liberal views; he served for six years as a member of the school board. He is a member of Westmoreland Lodge, No. 518, F. and A. M., of Greensburg; Urania Chapter, No. 192. R. A. M., of Greensburg; Kedron Commandery, No. 18, K. T., of Greensburg; Greensburg Lodge B. P. O. E.; and the Westmoreland County Medical Society. Dr. Sloan married in 1898, Tillie L. Wilson, a daughter of Harrison Wilson, a prominent citizen of Hempfield township, and for several years a member of the school board. One child has been born to them, Elizabeth. They are members of the Presbyterian church, and one of the most prominent families of the county.
Source: History of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, Volume II, by John N. Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906, Page 266.
Transcribed by Carol C. Eddleman for the Westmoreland County History Project.
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project