JACOB D. SHANER, a druggist and postmaster of Suterville, was born at Robbins, Westmoreland county, November 6, 1856. His grandfather, Jonathan Shaner, was the first American ancestor of the family, having emigrated from Germany and settled in what is now known as Shaner's Station, the place being named for him. He entered government land and built a log house, where he lived (luring the active years of his life. In his latter years he retired and resided with his children.
Daniel Shaner, a son of Jonathan Shaner, was born at Shaver's Station, in 1834, and there he was reared, educated and learned his trades, those of carpenter and machinist. While there he married Susanna Dewalt, by whom he had ten children, six of whom are still living: Romeo, a resident of Moberly, Missouri; Jacob D., of whom later; Jonathan W., a resident of Monongahela City; Frank S.: Mollie, wife of F. A. Hamilton, of Monongahela City; Margaret, wife of a Mr. Teeple, also of Monongahela City. Some years after his marriage he removed to Riverton, Allegheny county, where he worked for several years at carpentering and building, then went to Boston, Allegheny county, and engaged in the sawmill and lumber business. He then located at Buena Vista and took charge of the engines and machinery for the Armstrong coal mines. He continued there for about four years, then went to Monongahela City, where he was employed in the planing mills of Neal Blythe and Company as foreman. He died there in 1902. Politically he was a staunch Republican. He was a veteran of the Civil war, serving in the artillery service during the entire period of hostilities ; he was a member of the G. A. R. In early life he was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, but later joined the Presbyterian church.
Jacob D. Shaner was reared in his native place and attended the common schools until about his tenth year, when he began to work, firing the engines at the coal mines in Boston. He gradually rose to the position of engineer, and continued at that place until he had reached the age of twenty-one. He then removed to Buena Vista and was employed at the mines for about two years, then returned to Boston, and was given. charge of the company stores at that place. After a short time he went to Monongahela City and engaged in teaming and transfer bus work, but in 1880 he came to Suterville and found employment in the drug store of his cousin, A. L. Marsh, under whom he began the study of the druggist profession. After seven years he went into the drug business for himself, and on April 1, 1904, removed to his present modern quarters in the First National Bank building. He is a member of the junior O. U. A. M. Politically he is a Republican, and received his appointment of postmaster during the McKinley administration and is now serving a second term. Mr. Shaner married, in September, 1892, Ann Pyle, of Suterville. One child has been born to them, Thelma Shaner.
Source: Page(s) 257-258, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed August 2008 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project