HENRY GEORGE SEIDEL. The father of Henry George Seidel, of Greensburg, was Christian Nicholas Seidel, who lived in Marburg, province of Hesse-Cassel, Germany, and held the office of collector of the port between that province and Sachsen-Wiemar. He was a member of the Lutheran church. Mr. Seidel married Agnes, daughter of Nicholas Dotzenroth, of Marburg, and they had four sons: Henry George, mentioned hereafter; George, lives in Bethlehem, Orange Free State, South Africa; Theodore, died in 1901, at home in Germany; and Jacob, lives with his widowed mother in the Fatherland. Mr. Seidel died in 1869, in Germany.
Henry George Seidel, son of Christian Nicholas and Agnes (Dotzenroth) Seidel, was born June 27, 1857, in Marburg, Hesse-Cassel. Germany, and in 1871 emigrated to the United States, arriving in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, on July 4, of that year. After working for a short time in a bakery in Allegheny City he learned the business of a barber, and in 1884 settled in Greensburg.He there rented from Wilson Baughman the shop which he has since continuously occupied and in which he has conducted a flourishing business, enjoying the best patronage of the town and its vicinity. Politically he is a Republican. He and his wife are members of the Lutheran church. Mr. Seidel married, December 11, 1900, Elizabeth L., daughter of Joshua and Susan Hutchinson, of Greensburg, and they are the parents of two daughters: Agnes Lucetta, born August 23, 1902; and Beatrice Elizabeth, born December 5, 1903.
Source: History of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, Volume II, by John N. Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906, Page 263.
Transcribed by Carol C. Eddleman for the Westmoreland County History Project.
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project