CHARLES W. SAXMAN was born March 23, 1851, in Salem township, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, son of John and Catherine (Osborn) Saxman, and a descendant of the old and honorable Saxman family, which is and has been so prominent in this section of the state. John Saxman (father) was a farmer by occupation. He owned a large farm near Harvey's Five Points, in Salem township, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, where he and his wife Catharine (Osborn) Saxman, reared a family of six children. John and Catharine Saxman were leading members of the Methodist Episcopal church at Delmont, Pennsylvania, and took an active part in church work. Catharine (Osborn) Saxman was born in 1820, and died December 5, 1873. John Saxman was born in 1815, and died July 29, 1874. He and his wife, Catharine (Osborn) Saxman, reared a family of six children: 1. Lovenia M., died unmarried March 9, 1904. 2. William H., enlisted to serve for three years in the civil war; after serving about two years he was killed April i1, 1865. He was a member of Company F. Eleventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, Richard Coulter in command. 3. Alvin S., married Mary S. Craig; he always resided in Westmoreland county, and his death occurred in Greensburg, March 18, 1895, aged forty-five years, ten months, and twenty-three days. He was a contractor and builder. 4. Charles W., mentioned hereafter. 5. Celia J, married Samuel Duncan; they reside on a farm in Indiana county, Pennsylvania. 6. Anna C., married S. H. Anderson, now resides in Vandergrift, Westmoreland county.
Charles W. Saxman acquired his early education in the public schools of his native county, and later attended Delmont Academy, Delmont, Pennsylvania, also Mount Union College, Ohio. Upon the completion of his studies he engaged in teaching for three winters, assisting his father on the farm during the summer months. The ten succeeding years after the demise of his father, he continued the vocation of school teaching during the winter months, working the home farm alone for the remainder of the year. In the fall of 1885 he removed to Latrobe, Pennsylvania, where he engaged in the mercantile business for two years. At the expiration of that period of time, foreseeing that better opportunities presented themselves in the real estate field, he sold his interest in the former business and gave his entire attention to real estate and fire insurance. Shortly afterward he discontinued the fire insurance business but continued with the real estate, in which he achieved a large degree of success. In politics he is a Republican. He is held in high esteem by his fellow-townsmen as is shown by the fact that in 1903 he was elected to the office of director of the Home for the Poor of Westmoreland county. He also served for sixteen years as notary public, is now serving his filth term, and also served three years as tax collector. After the death of his father Mr. Saxman was appointed trustee of the church in his stead, which office he held for ten consecutive years or until his removal to Latrobe. A few years later he became a member of the board of trustees of the Latrobe Methodist Episcopal church, and is still serving in that capacity. His family are also members of the same church. The following societies count Mr. Saxman among their members: The I. O. O. F. Lodge No. 542, of Delmont; Latrobe Council, No. 368, R. A.; Silver Maple Camp, No. 19. W. W. Latrobe; and Meridan Conclave, No. 177, I. O. H., Latrobe. He married, in 1884, Miss Roxanna Markle Lloyd, born December 16, 1861, daughter of George and Elizabeth W. Lloyd. Their children are: Mary Elizabeth, born February 1, 1886; Helen Shields, born December 31, 1888; and Catherine Louise, born November 20, 1890.
Source: History of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, Volume II, by John N. Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906, Page 278-9.
Transcribed by Carol C. Eddleman for the Westmoreland County History Project.
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project