JACOB FRICK ROWE. The family of which Jacob Frick Rowe, of Jacobs Creek, is a member, was founded in Westmoreland county about a century since by Andrew Rowe, who settled on a farm on Barren Run, in South Huntingdon township. He was a local preacher in the Lutheran church. His wife was Susan Freed, and they were the parents of a son, Joseph, mentioned hereafter. Andrew Rowe, at the time of his death, was nearly ninety years old, and his wife almost equaled him in longevity.
Joseph Rowe, son of Andrew and Susan (Freed) Rowe, was born near West Newton, and on reaching manhood acquired a farm in South Huntingdon township, on which he resided for the remainder of his life. In politics he was a staunch Republican, but never an office-seeker. He was a member of the United Baptist church, which he served in an official capacity for many years. He married Ada Prick, and their children were: Jacob Frick. mentioned hereafter; John Milton, store manager for the Pittsburg Coal Company, at Smithton; Amos; Ulysses G.; Harriet R., wife of O. C. Rhoades, of South Huntingdon township; Caroline M., married M. Q. Shupe, also of South Huntingdon township; and David E., resides at home with his brothers, Amos and Ulysses G. Mr. Rowe died January 25, 1905, aged eighty-one years and one month.
Jacob Frick Rowe, son of Joseph and Ada (Prick) Rowe, was born October 31, 1858, in South Huntingdon township, and was educated in the public schools of his birthplace and West Newton borough. In his twenty-first year he began to teach and continued to do so for seven years in the counties of Fayette and Westmoreland. He then accepted a position in the store of the Waverly Coal & Coke Company, at Smithton, where he was employed two years. In 1890 he moved to Jacob's Creek, where he purchased property and engaged in mercantile business for himself. In this enterprise he has been very successful, and is now one of the leading merchants of the place. For several years lie has been postmaster of Jacob's Creek. Mr. Rowe was one of the original stockholders in the First National Bank of West Newton, and still retains his stock in that institution. In politics he affiliates with the Republican party, and has been for years actively devoted to the interests of the organization, although never desiring office. He is a member of the Baptist church, in which he serves as clerk. Mr. Rowe married in 1890, Annette, daughter of Jacob Zundel, of Rostraver township, and their children are: Jessie M., Emma, William McK., Ada, Edward S., and Florence.
Source: History of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, Volume II, by John N. Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906, Page 283
Transcribed by Carol C. Eddleman for the Westmoreland County History Project.
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project