HARRY E. RINEHART, of Monessen, to which borough he removed on June 2, 1898, it being then but a small hamlet of a few houses, is a native of Waynesburg, Greene county, Pennsylvania, born June 27, 1864, son of Morgan and Elizabeth (Pettet) Rinehart, both deceased. Morgan Rinehart (father) was born, reared and spent his life in Greene county, where he followed his trade of shoemaker. He served four years in the Civil war, being a member of the Eighty-fifth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and was wounded by a piece of shell at the battle of the Wilderness. He was a son of Simon and Lettie Rinehart.
Harry E. Rinehart was reared in Waynesburg, educated in the public schools thereof, and at the age of sixteen years removed to Pittsburg and there learned the trade of painting. From thence he removed to the coke regions, where he spent several years, after which he enraged in base ball playing, starting with Scottdale and then going to Easton, Pennsylvania, where he entered the Interstate League, and this profession he followed up to the year 18go. He hen located in Charleroi, Westmoreland county, and engaged at contracting, painting, operating a large force of men,and continuing the same up to 1892. He then moved to Glouster, New Jersey, where he resided for a period of almost two years, at the expiration of which time he removed to McKeesport, Pennsylvania, and June 2, 1898, took up his residence in Monessen. He came to this borough for the purpose of operating a cigar factory, which business he successfully conducted for three years, at which time or during which time he was largely interested in real estate transactions. In 1901 a company was formed to manufacture brick, the same being composed of Harry E. Rinehart, L. M. Faust, Adolph Boes and John Menefee, but during the same year Messrs. Faust and Boes disposed of their interest to the two other members of the firm, who conducted the business under the name of the Monessen Brick Works. The plant was located at East Charleroi, is equipped with the most modern machinery for the purpose, and its daily output of fifteen thousand brick is largely disposed of in Monessen and adjacent villages. The conduct of this plant is under the personal supervision of Mr. Rinehart, who is a most thorough and capable man in every respect, and well qualified for the active management of men and affairs. He is one of the most progressive men of the borough, and by good judgment and business sagacity has accumulated a comfortable competence. He erected four buildings for business purposes in Monessen, also an elegant and modern residence for himself and family in 1904, whilst Mr. Rinehart has erected three buildings for residential purposes. 3Ir. Rinehart was a member of the first borough council of Monessen, and in 1900 was elected burgess of the borough, and while an incumbent of this office also filled that of tax collector, serving for three years. He was a member of the county Republican committee for several years, and one of the prominent factors in the ranks of the party, wielding a wider and more powerful influence than any other man in this section of the county, and being fully alive to all things which tend to promote the interests and welfare of the candidates and measures advocated by the party of his choice. He is a member of the K. P., being the prime mover in the organization of Monessen Lodge, No. 185, in which he has filled the chairs of chancellor and commander two terms. He is a member of the B. P. O. E. affiliating with Lodge No. 773.
Mr. Rinehart married, November 6, 1890, Mary McGrew, daughter of Zerah and Adaline (Phillips) McGrew, and granddaughter of Nathan and Catharine (Hayden) McGrew. Zerah McGrew, who died in 1882, was born and reared in Rostraver township, was a farmer by occupation, and after his marriage to Adaline Phillips, who is living at the present time (1905). removed to McKeesport, where he was one of the influential citizens and a member of the borough council, and where his death occurred. He was well and favorably known throughout the community, was a devout Christian, and a charter member of the Christian church of McKeesport, in which he took an active part. He was also a member of the F. and A. M., I. O. O. F., and N. of Al. C., in which he took an active and prominent part. Mr. and Mrs. Rinehart are the parents of two children: Harry F. and Virginia Lucretia Rinehart. The family are members of the Christian church.
Source: Page(s) 256-257, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed August 2008 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project