DR. JOSEPH H. RICHIE was born in Richland county, Ohio. October 26, 1836, a son of Andrew A. and Jane (Marshal) Richie. He is one of eight children, six of whom survive, namely: Sarah J., widow of Charles Voals, of Findley; Rev. William M., a minister of a United Presbyterian church in Iowa; Andrew, Los Angeles, California; Dr. Joseph H., of whom later; George, engaged in the fruit business in Florida; Margaret, wife of Andrew Gibson, Des Moines, Iowa.
The paternal grandfather of Dr. Richie was a native of Ireland, a school teacher, who came to America about 1798, locating at Mount Braddock, Pennsylvania, and went to work at the furnace. Later he removed to Ohio and purchased a farm in Richland county, Ohio, where he lived during the remainder of his life.
Andrew A. Richie, father of Dr. Richie, was born in 1798, at Mt. Braddock, Pennsylvania, shortly after his parents emigrated from Ireland. He was reared in Richland county, Ohio, and when he reached his majority adopted agriculture as his means of livelihood. He was a staunch Democrat up to the time of the civil war, when he became a Republican, a bosom friend of John T. Sherman. He was a consistent member of the United Presbyterian church. He died in Richland county at the advanced age of eighty-one years, while his wife survived him some years, dying in her ninety-third year. They are both buried at Ontario, Richland county, Ohio, where they were living at the time of their death.
Joseph H. Richie was reared in his native place, and acquired his education in the common schools and the Haysville Academy. At the first call for troops in the civil war he enlisted in the service, March 14, 1861, enlisting in Company H. Fifteenth Ohio Volunteers. After the expiration of his hundred day service lie re-enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Second Regiment for three years or until the close of the war. In this regiment he served for some nine months, meanwhile having been made sergeant of the company. then was transferred to Company I. One Hundred and Twentieth Regiment, as hospital steward. Some twenty-two months later he was mustered out as hospital steward with the promise of a commission as second lieutenant, when the regiment was captured by "Dick' Taylor and was taken to Texas and held prisoners until the close of the war. He had gained some knowledge of medicine during his hospital service, and finding it much to his liking he took up the study under Dr. J. W. Craig, of Ontario, Ohio. After spending some time with him he entered the Western Reserve Medical College, of Cleveland, Ohio, whence he graduated in the spring of the year, 1867. He then practiced for one year with his preceptor, and in June, 1868, removed to West Newton, where he practiced for eighteen years. He then located at the mining town of New England, Allegheny county, where he continued for seven or eight years, and next settled in Sutersville, where he has been located during the past twelve years. He is one of the most avidly-known physicians of the county, and is a member of the K. of P., and the I. O. O. F. In politics he is a Republican, but has had no time to spare from the demands of his profession to take an active interest in politics. Dr. Richie married (first) in i86S, Jennie Anderson, of Shelby, Ohio; she died twelve years after her marriage, leaving no children. He married (second) Nancy Mesner, of Allegheny county, Pennsylvania. Five children were born to them: Jennie, Joseph, Clara, Margaret and Ada Richie, all of whom are still living at home.
Source: Page(s) 243-244, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed August 2008 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project