HARRY R. PORE, manager and editor of the Monessen Daily Independent, and president of the borough council, is a representative of an old and highly estimable Westmoreland county family. He is a son of Jacob and Sarah Ann (Miller) Pore, and his ancestors on both sides were among the pioneer tillers of the soil in this section of the state. His paternal grandparents, Adam and Margaret (Lobinger) Pore, resided in South Huntingdon township, and his mother was born in Mount Pleasant, daughter of William Miller, of that township. His father in early life followed the carpenter's trade and was a well-known building contractor in South Huntingdon, West Newton and adjacent townships. He finally relinquished that business and turned his attention exclusively to agricultural pursuits. He owned a farm of one hundred and six acres in South Huntingdon township, known as the old Snyder place, the fertility of which he greatly improved, making it one of the most valuable pieces of agricultural property in that section of the county. Being naturally domestic in his habits he preferred the peace and tranquility of a simple life and took special delight in devoting his attention wholly to the care of his homestead and the welfare of his family. In his younger days he was a member of the old Sewickley Presbyterian church, but afterward united with the same denomination in West Newton. Jacob Pore died in 1890, aged sixty-five years. His widow is still living and resides in West Newton. Jacob and
Sarah Ann (Miller) Pore were the parents of seven children, six of whom grew to maturity, namely: William H., deceased; Charles S., a hardware merchant in Monessen; Luella, residing in West Newton; Harry R.. of whom later; Blanche E., wife of L. S. Shupe, who is in the hardware business in Monessen; and Josiah M., a resident of West Newton.
Harry R. Pore was born in South Huntingdon township, July, 1872. He pursued his preliminary studies in the public schools, was a graduate from the Northern Indiana Normal school at Valparaiso in 1899. and from King's School of Oratory, in 1900. Endowed by nature with elocutionary ability of a high order, which was enhanced and perfected by the careful training received at the above mentioned school of oratory, he decided to utilize his talents as a means of obtaining a livelihood, and joining the ranks of public entertainers as a monologue artist he toured through the western states with gratifying success, providing unassisted an entire entertainment which was invariably received with excellent satisfaction, emphasized with vociferous applause. But physical exhaustion resulting from constant travel, together with the long continued strain to which the nervous system of a public entertainer is necessarily subjected. at length compelled him to relinquish that calling and seek a less arduous occupation. Accordingly he turned his attention to journalism and in July, 1901, he established the Monessen Daily Independent, of which he became both manager and editor. Having succeeded in placing his journalistic enterprise upon a secure financial basis he determined to control, as far as possible, the newspaper business of this locality, and with that end in view he successfully arranged in 1903 for the consolidation of his paper with the Monessen Weekly Leader, extinguishing the name of the latter and issuing the united organs under the name of the Independent. The Monessen Daily Independent entered its enlarged field of usefulness under the control of a stock company with A. M. Wyant as president, Frank Bumer as secretary and treasurer, and Harry R. Pore as manager and editor. Typographically it presents an attractive appearance, and in its editorial policy and ideas it is optimistic, progressive, keenly alive to the conditions within its environments and absolutely without prejudice in its discussion of the important issues of the day. Its circulation is large, which, together with its popularity, establishes beyond question its value as an advertising medium. It generally appears, unless enlarged to meet the contingencies of some extraordinary occasion, in four six column pages, which contain all the latest news, foreign, domestic, local, etc., with such selected matter from exchanges and other sources as is deemed interesting to its readers. In politics, or "profession of faith," as some newspaper wag has humorously called it, it advocates the principles of Independent Republicanism. Although not the youngest newspaper men in the state, Mr. Pore is certainly entitled to be considered as one of the youngest managing editors within its borders, and his future advancement in his chosen field of usefulness is exceedingly promising. Nor is his activity confined solely to his profession as he takes a profound interest in local public affairs, and at the present time is serving with marked ability as president of the borough council.
On October 1.5, 1902, Mr. Pore was united in marriage at the Second Presbyterian church, Pittsburg, by the Rev. Edwin S. Young, with Louise M. Wagner, who was a schoolmate at the Northern Indiana Normal school. She is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. F. Wagner, of Kilbourn City, Wisconsin.
Source: Page(s) 234-235, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed August 2008 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project