DR. WILLIAM FULTON PEAIRS was born at Mendon. Westmoreland county, November 21, 1865, son of John W. and Dinah (Boyd) Peairs, one of five children, three of whom survive: John B., of Elizabeth township, this county; Sarah C., wife of Daniel W. Weddell, of Boston, Pennsylvania; and William F., of whom later.. The family is of Dutch descent, the grandfather of William F., Elisha Peairs, having come to this country from Holland. His son, John W., was born in Elizabeth township, in 1808, and was reared to a farm life. He adopted that calling, and sometime in the thirties removed to Mendon, where he purchased a farm and resided upon it until about 1874, when he removed to Elizabeth township. He bought a farm there but later retired from active management, turning the work over to his sons. He died in 1884, at the age of seventy-six years. While never an office seeker, he was a staunch Democrat in politics. He was a Christian gentleman and a member of the United Presbyterian church. His wife, Dinah, born in 1827, in Allegheny county, was the daughter of John Boyd, a farmer of Elizabeth township. She died April 13, 1905; she had made her home with Dr. Peairs during the latter years of her life.
William F. Peairs was reared in his native place, attended the common schools, then the State Normal school, at California, Pennsylvania, after which he matriculated at Wooster University, at Wooster, Ohio. After finishing his course there he taught in the public schools, and meantime began to read medicine. In 1889 he gave up teaching and continued his medical studies under the preceptorship of Dr. J. W. Malone, of Blythedale, Pennsylvania, now of Brooklyn, New York. In the fall of the year 1890 he entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Baltimore, Maryland, whence he graduated with the degree of M. D. in 1892. He located in Suterville, Pennsylvania, in the same year, practicing for one year in partnership with Dr. J. N. McCune. He then purchased the practice and the residence of Dr. McCune, and in the intervening years has built up a constantly increasing practice. He is president of the board of health, vice-president of the First National Bank, a member of Blythe Lodge, No. 503, F. and A. M.; Duquesne Chapter, No. 193. R. A. M.; Ascalon Commandery, No. 59, of Pittsburg, and of Grace Lodge, -No. 405, K. of P. His political sympathies are towards the Republican party. Dr. Peairs married, October, 1896, Bertha Franklin, a daughter of H. E. Franklin, of Suterville, by whom he has two children, Clyde and Edith Peairs.
Source: Page(s) 244-245, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed August 2008 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project