JAMES M. PATTERSON, of New Kensington, is the grandson of James Patterson, who was born in 1773, in county Down, Ireland, and at the age of sixteen emigrated to the United States, settling for a short time near Steubenville, in Virginia. After three or four years he went to Washington county, Pennsylvania, where he purchased a farm, and for the remainder of his life gave his attention to agricultural pursuits. In politics he was allied successively with the Whigs, the Know-Nothings, and the Republicans. For about forty years he served as elder in the United Presbyterian church of North Hope. Mr. Patterson married Mary Miller, and their children were: Alexander, Thomas, James, mentioned hereafter; David, John, Jane, wife of James Armstrong, of West Middletown; Elizabeth, wife of James Richmond, of West Finley township, Washington county, and about 1868 they moved to Colorado, where both died; Margaret, wife of Samuel Leiper, of the neighborhood of Hookstown, Beaver county; Mary, wife of James Tagert, of Allegheny county. Mr. Patterson, the father, lived to be almost a centenarian, his death occurring about 1867.
James Patterson, son of James and Mary (Miller) Patterson, was born in 1816, on the old homestead, near West Middletown, where he remained until after his marriage, settling then on a farm adjoining the homestead. In 1848 he sold the property and bought a farm of ninety-six acres near Goodintent, where he remained about six years. He then sold this farm and purchased another of one hundred and seventy-five acres on what was known as Block-house run. On this property he made his home until 1866, when he sold it and went with his son, James M. Patterson, to Beaver county, where he became the owner of a farm of two hundred and seventy-three acres, situated some fifty miles from his former home at Tumbleson run, near Hookstown. He lived on this farm until about 1885, when he abandoned agriculture and moved to Hookstown where he made his home until the death of his wife. He then sold his house and resided with his sons on the homestead during the remainder of his life. He was a Republican, and for some years an elder of the United Presbyterian church. Mr. Patterson married Jane, daughter of Hugh and Esther Leiper, of Hookstown, and their children were: James M., mentioned hereafter; Esther A., deceased wife of Alford Marks, of East Liverpool; Hugh, died in childhood; Sarah, wife of Joseph Armstrong; Anna Mary, wife of Pollock Thompson, near Frankford Springs; Hugh (2), farmer on the homestead; Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Ramsey, near Mill Creek Church, Beaver county; Amanda, died unmarried; Anderson, farmer on part of the homestead; Della, deceased wife of David Strauss; Eva, wife of William Richmond; David, drowned in the old well when about three years of age. The mother of this family died in 1891, and the father passed away in 1895.
James M. Patterson, son of James and Jane (Leiper) Patterson, was born Ju1y 10, 1843, near West Middletown, on the homestead which had been the birthplace of his father and the home of his grandfather. In 1863 he enlisted in Company K, Sixteenth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry, served to the close of the war and was present at the surrender of Lee.
After his return home he engaged in farming until 1875, when he went to Wellsville, Ohio, and there learned the machinist's trade, the practice of which, however, he found injurious to his health. He therefore took a position with the Brook Oil Company of Cleveland, which he retained twelve or thirteen years. In 1894 he moved to New Kensington and established himself in the undertaking business which he has successfully conducted to the present time. He is a member of New Kensington Post. No. 636. G. A. R., P. O. S. of A., of New Kensington, and Lodge No. 1048, I. O. O. F., also of New Kensington In the last-named organization he has passed all chairs and has held for one year the office of treasurer. He is a Republican, and during four years served on the county committee.
Source: Page(s) 190-191, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed May 2007 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project