JAMES E. NEWINGHAM, proprietor of the Newingham livery and sales stables, at Scottdale, Pennsylvania, and one of the leading and substantial business men of that progressive town, was born in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, September 7, 1863, the son of Henry S. and Rose Ann (Byerly) Newingham, both residents of Pleasant Unity, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania. He is the grandson of David Newingham, ex-sheriff of Westmoreland county.
James F. Newingham was but a small child when his parents took up their abode in Pleasant Unity. There he was educated in the public schools, and when a lad of fifteen years learned the trade of saddle and harness making, in which he became very proficient. He worked at his trade for eight years, and then removed to Latrobe, Pennsylvania, where he was for two years in the employ of the firm of I. D. Pores & Company, in the hardware and grocery business. His next removal was to Scottdale, where he and his father established themselves in the livery business in the spring of 1887, succeeding Mr. William Herbert in the business. After three or four years Mr. Newingham succeeded to the entire business, which he has since conducted with the most gratifying success. This is one of the leading establishments of its kind in Scottdale, and Mr. Newingham carries a full line of driving and saddle horses, besides all kinds of hacks, carriages, etc. He is a live, energetic business man, and is to be congratulated on his well-deserved success. He also conducts an extensive business in buying, selling and shipping horses to the eastern markets. He is a patriotic, public-spirited man, and is interested in all enterprises for the public good. He is a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, No. 777.
February 14, 1895, he was united in marriage to Mary Emma Ogle, daughter of William D. Ogle, of Fayette county, Pennsylvania. The following named children were the issue of this union: Frank Ellsworth, Ralph H., Nellie B. Mr. Newingham and his family are members of the German Reformed church. Their residence is at 124 Market street, Scottdale.
Source: Page(s) 165, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed May 2007 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project