C. E. MULLIN. A well-known name in the financial circles of Mount Pleasant is that of C. E. -Mullin. The parents of Mr. Mullin were William D. and Mary A. (Shupe) Mullin. The former died in i8go, and the latter resides in Mount Pleasant.
C. E. Mullin was born March 8, 1861, in Mount Pleasant, where he received his primary education in the public. schools and afterward attended the Mount Pleasant Institute, graduating in 1882. Prior to this, though in the same year, he graduated from the Iron City Business College. After completing his education he engaged for a time in the grocer- business in Mount Pleasant. and later went into the dry goods business under the firm name of The C. E. Mullin Company. Subsequently he closed the business, and in June, 1895, became cashier of the Farmers' and Merchants' National Bank. This institution was incorporated in 1893. and carries on an extensive business, both foreign and domestic. Mr. Mullin has held the position of cashier continuously for the last ten years and still retains the office.
He was one of the promoters of the Mount Pleasant Tool Company, and is now a member of the official board of that institution. He was one of the organizers of the East Pittsburg National Bank, at Wilmerding. Pennsylvania, and now belongs to the board of directors. He is a stockholder in different financial institutions of Pittsburg, in the First National Bank of Irwin, in the First National Bank of Jeannette. and in various concerns at Greensburg. He has been a director in the Citizens' Building & Loan Association of Mount Pleasant since its organization. In 19o2 he formed a partnership with W. A. Kalp under the firm name of Kalp & Mullin, and together they purchased the "James Neal farm," which was situated within the limits of the borough of Mount Pleasant. This estate, which consisted of ninety acres, they laid out in town lots, disposing of them by sale. Mr. Mullin is the owner and manager of several farms in different parts of the county. He is a member of Marion Lodge. No. 562. F. and A. M., of Scottdale, Greensburg Chapter. Greensburg Commandery, K. T., Valley Consistory. No. 320, of Pittsburg, the Heptasophs and Modern Woodmen of America. He is a member of the United Brethren church, and has been for years connected with the official board.
Mr. Mullin married, October 18, 1894, Lulu M., daughter of W. H. Evans, of the vicinity of New Stanton, Pennsylvania, and they were the parents of the following children: Charles E., Paul E., William D., Mary Genevieve, and Edward E. The mother of these children died October 2, 1901, and Mr. Mullin married, March 24, 1903, Mrs. Sallie (Woodward) Shields. daughter of Joseph Woodward. of Columbia, Missouri. _Mr. and Mrs. Mullin have one child, Emily Agnes.
Source: Page(s) 210-211, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed August 2008 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project