MILLER BROTHERS. Clifford E. and Irwin C. Miller constitute the firm of Miller Brothers, proprietors of one of the largest department stores of Westmoreland county, located at Arona. The former was born April 22, 1880, and the latter born September 28, 1876. They are sons of John W. Miller and Catherine (Bussard) Miller, the former of whom was born in Hempfield township, in 1851, his parents being Lewis and Susan (Fox) Miller. John W. Miller was reared in his father's home, acquired his education in the common schools and when about twenty years of age, in company with W. H. Bussard, purchased the mercantile business of Adam Miller, at Arona. This was the nucleus of the present extensive house conducted by the Miller brothers. John W. Miller and his partner conducted the business up to the time of the former's death, in 1881, when Mr. Bussard purchased Mr. Miller's interest, becoming sole proprietor and carrying on the same until 1895, when it was destroyed by fire. Following the death of her first husband, Mrs. Catharine Miller became the wife of G. W. Miller, in 1884, and in 1889 G. W. Miller embarked in merchandising in Arona. In 1894 his wife became the owner of the business and conducted the same up to the time of her death, in May, 1902, when Clifford E. and Irwin C. purchased the same and have since been its proprietors.
Clifford E. Miller was educated in the county schools and at Leach's Business College, in Greensburg, Pennsylvania and in Grove City College, where he pursued a classical course. When only nine years of age Clifford E. Miller entered the store and being apt and ambitious, quick in his movements and courteous to the patrons, he soon became a valued factor in the conduct of the enterprise and it was only a few years until he was practically manager of the business. His brother, who pursued his education in the public schools, secured a position in early youth with W. H. Bussard, his father's successor, with whom he remained until the destruction of the store by fire. He then accepted a position with the Madison Supply Company, with whom he remained for eight years, four years of the time acting as general manager. In 1902 he accepted a position with Eli Sell and Company, of Greensburg, with whom he continued for a year, when his business interests in Arona demanded his attention and he resigned his position there. The brothers have since been closely associated in the conduct of the store and in addition to their mercantile enterprise they own and operate a, stock farm. Their business in Arona is a large department store and within space of ten years their trade has grown so rapidly that their floor space has been increased from six hundred to ten thousand square feet, while from forty to fifty carloads of goods are purchased annually. The trade has long since reached profitable proportions and in the conduct of the enterprise the brothers display marked executive ability, keen discernment and indefatigable energy. Both are supporters of the Democratic party and they are members of the United Brethren church, in which Irwin C. Miller is now serving as elder and also as a member of the board of trustees. Clifford E. was married, June 7, 1905, to Minnie, daughter of Irwin W. Moore, of New Stanton, Pennsylvania. Irwin C. Miller was married May 2, 1905, to Eleanor, daughter of Robert J. Anderson, of Manor, Pennsylvania.
Source: Page(s) 192-193, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed May 2007 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project