WILLIAM McNAUGHTON. Among the energetic and enterprising business men of Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, perhaps no one has attained to a higher degree of success than William McNaughton. He was born in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, December 14, 1855, a son of James and Mary (Griven) McNaughton. His father was born and reared in Philadelphia, and was by trade a shoemaker. He traveled extensively, but spent the most of his life in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. He served some eighteen months in the Civil war in Knapp Battery. He married Mary Griven, a native of the north of Ireland, and the following named children were born to them: James, William, mentioned hereafter; Rebecca, Harry, Charley, Jennie, Kate, William, two children who died in childhood, and George. The father of this family died in 1899, well advanced in years.
William McNaughton was reared in Pittsburg and educated in the common schools of that city. At the age of nine years he left the school-room, entering into his first regular employment with the McKee Brothers Glass Manufacturing establishment. His earnest and diligent work won rapid promotion for him, and he subsequently became a practical glass maker. He removed to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, remaining there some fourteen years. After this he removed to Findlay, Ohio, and there became interested in the manufacture of glass. He became a member of a glass firm there and assisted in the establishment of two glass plants. After some seven years spent in the state of Ohio Mr. McNaughton returned to Pennsylvania, associating himself with the Bryce Brothers as manager of their establishment, and in 1898 was admitted to the firm, and is now a member of the board of directors. Mr. McNaughton is preeminently a self-made man. Thrown upon his own resources at the tender age of nine years, with a very limited education, and no capital except determination to succeed and willingness to work, Mr. McNaughton has by dint of those success-getting qualities - patient perseverance, unfailing energy and indomitable will - advanced himself to an enviable place in the ranks of successful and prosperous business men. In politics Mr. McNaughton accords with the doctrines of the Republican party, and loses no opportunity to advance the interests of that organization. He is a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, No. 868, Mount Pleasant; the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Jefferson Lodge, No. 12, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Knights of Pythias, Hylis Lodge. In 1898 Mr. McNaughton erected his handsome residence on Washington street, Mount Pleasant. As a citizen he has the respect and esteem of his fellow townsmen and is well thought of throughout the community.
In 1873 Mr. McNaughton was united in marriage to Mary A. Holmes, daughter of William Holmes, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and the following named children were born to them: William, in the employ of the Bryce Brothers. Laura, the wife of Aaron B. Shaw of Mount Pleasant; they have one child, Elsie. Mary, residing at home, Howard, living at home. Mr. McNaughton and his family are members of the church of United Presbyterians.
Source: Page(s) 143-144, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed March 2006 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project