DAVID MILLER LYLE. Among his ministerial brethren of Westmoreland county David Miller Lyle, of Mount Pleasant, holds a recognized place. He is the fifth in descent from Robert Lyle, who with his two brothers, John and Aaron, came from eastern Pennsylvania about the middle of the eighteenth century, and settled in Washington county, their father having come from Scotland some years previous.
John Lyle was one of the pioneers of Belmont county, Ohio. He was a farmer and a strict Presbyterian. His wife was Isabel Miller, and they were the parents of several children, the youngest of whom was David, mentioned hereafter. The sons were all farmers and are all now deceased.
David Lyle, son of John and Isabel (Miller) Lyle, was born in 1829, in Belmont county, Ohio, and like his father followed agricultural pursuits. He was active in public affairs, both political and otherwise. He was a zealous member of the Presbyterian church, in which for years he served as elder. He married, in March, 1856, Mary, born in Harrison county, Ohio, daughter of George and Nancy (McCracken) Love, of Scotch-Irish descent, and seven children were born to them: George, a farmer: John, engaged in mercantile business at McKeesport, Pennsylvania; James, a farmer; Annabelle, wife of Brainerd C. Lyle, of Washington county, Pennsylvania; Sadie, who resides at home; Ella, wife of the Rev. William E. Guthrie, a United Presbyterian minister of Mexico, Pennsylvania; and David Miller, mentioned hereafter. Mr. Lyle, the father of the family, died in 1898, at the age of sixty-nine. He was a man of the highest integrity. His widow is still living at the old home in Ohio.
David Miller Lyle, son of David and Mary (Love) Lyle, was born August 26. 1872, in Belmont county, Ohio, near Uniontown, and was reared on the farm, receiving his primary education in the district school. He afterward entered Franklin College, New Athens, Ohio, from which institution he received in 1895 the degree of Bachelor of Arts. In the autumn of the same year he matriculated at the Western Theological University, Allegheny, Pennsylvania, graduating thence in the spring of 1898. He then went to Leisenring, Pennsylvania, where he filled the pulpit for two years. In June, 1900, he went to Mount Pleasant in response to a call to the pastorate of the Reunion Presbyterian church of that place. Under his ministrations the membership of the church has increased, and various improvements have been made in the edifice, including the placing of a fine new pipe organ. He has endeared himself to his parishioners, to whose best interests he is thoroughly devoted, and is active in the discharge of his duties as a citizen. Mr. Lyle married, July 21, 1900, Florence, daughter of James G. Bailey, of New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, and they have one child, Donald Fraser.
Source: Page(s) 126-127, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed February 2006 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project