ALEXANDER LESLIE. The family of which Alexander Leslie, of New Kensington, is a representative first comes into notice in the person of Mr. Leslie who was keeper of the ferries near Valley camp about the time of the building of the canal which ran through the Allegheny valley where he lived and ended his days. His children were: William, deceased; David, mentioned hereafter; James, deceased; George, a farmer in Lower Burrell township; Thomas, deceased; and two daughters, one of whom was married to Thomas Marshall and the other to Alexander Marshall.
David Leslie was born in 1812 or 13 near New Kensington, and passed his life as a farmer in Lower Burrell township. In politics he was a staunch Republican and held the office of school director. He was a member of the Presbyterian church. He married Mary Haltz, of Allegheny county, and their children were: George R., a farmer of Lower Burrell township; Agnes R.; William H., a farmer on the homestead; James, a real estate broker in South Sharon; Alexander, mentioned hereafter; and Elizabeth, wife of John Edmonds, of Carleton, Missouri. The death of Mr. Leslie, the father, occurred in 1892.
Alexander Leslie, son of David and Mary (Haltz) Leslie, was born October 25, 1859, and received his primary education in the common schools, from which he passed to the academy at Tarentum and thence to Duff's Business College, Pittsburg, where he graduated. For four or five years he was a teacher in his native county. About 1882 or '83 he established himself in the drug business at Parnassus, where he remained until 1892. He then moved to New Kensington, where he was one of the pioneer settlers, purchasing the second lot sold in the town. In that place he has ever since conducted a drug business. He has been elected to the office of school director. He belongs to Lodge No. 548, F. and A. M. of Verona, Pennsylvania, and in the sphere of politics adheres to the Republican party. He is a member of the Presbyterian church. Mr. Leslie married Ada, daughter of Peter King.
Source: Page(s) 183, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed May 2007 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project