WILLIAM JAMES LATIMORE, M. D. The grandfather of Dr. William J. Latimore, of Herminie, was John Latimore, a native of Ireland. He married Mary Armstrong, and they were the parents of a son, James Latimore, who was born in Ireland in 1848. The family were led to come to the United States through the example of Charles Armstrong, a brother of Mrs. Latimore, who was the first to seek a home across the sea. James Latimore married Elizabeth Blackburn, and five children were born to them, two of whom are now living: William James, of whom later; and Elizabeth, wife of Frederick Pippert, of West Newton.
William James Latimore, son of James and Elizabeth (Blackburn) Latimore, was born April 28, 1874, in Armstrong, the town having received its name in honor of Charles Armstrong, mentioned above. The foundation of Dr. Latimore's education was laid in the public schools of West Newton, whence he proceeded to the State Normal school at California, Pennsylvania and from that institution advanced to Westminster College, Lawrence county, Pennsylvania. In 1893 he began reading medicine under the guidance of Dr. L. V. Sutton, of West Newton, and in the autumn of 1895 entered the Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati, Ohio, graduating in the spring of 1897 with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He then returned to West Newton, and for several months was associated in practice with his former preceptor, Dr. Sutton, after which he went to Shaners Station where he remained until December 1902. He then moved to Herminie where he. has ever since been in active practice. Dr. Latimore belongs to Youghiogheny Valley Lodge, No. 555, I. O. O. F., and Greensburg Lodge, No. 511, B. P. O. E. He is a staunch Republican, and during the last year has been chairman of the township. He is a member of the United Presbyterian church. Dr. Latimore married, February 2, 1905, Bertha Huber, of Steubenville, Ohio. They have one child, William J., Jr., born November 26, 1905.
Source: History of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, Volume II, by John N. Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906, Page 267-8.
Transcribed by Carol C. Eddleman for the Westmoreland County History Project.
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project