RALPH B. KUHNS, a representative business man of Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, was born October 18, 1878, seven or eight miles south of the borough of Greensburg, and is the son of W. H. and Mary (Kalp) Kuhns, who are now residents of Fayette county, Pennsylvania. W. H. Kuhns was born in Somerset county, Pennsylvania, in 1849. He was formerly engaged in the lumber business and also in the conduct of several saw mills. He is now employed by the H. C. Frick Coke Company in Fayette county. In the year 1877 he married Mary Kalp, and they are the parents of the following named children: Anna, wife of A. J. Brothers, of Fayette county; Ora, married Frank Greenwalt, of Fayette county; Olive, unmarried; Ida, wife of Charles Bush, of Westmoreland county; Elsie, at home; Sadie, at home; Walter, at home; and Ralph.
At the age of six years Ralph B. Kuhns removed with his parents to Fayette county, near Laurelville. There he received his early education in the public schools, and later took a course in the Iron City Business College of Pittsburg, (1899-1900). After his graduation in 1900 he secured a position as clerk in the Union Supply Company's store, and remained with them for nine months. At the expiration of this time he entered the employ of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company as clerk in the scale office at Youngwood, Pennsylvania. His next removal was to Everson, where he was employed as storekeeper for the same company. This position he retained from February until August, when lie was transferred to Youngwood, remaining there until August of the following year. He then went to Edenborn as shipping clerk for H. C. Frick Coke Company, and at the end of a year was. transferred to Sterling No. 2, same company, as paymaster, continuing in this capacity until the works were closed up. October 22, 1903, he entered the employ of the United States Cast Iron Pipe & Foundry Company at Scottdale, as shipping clerk. He was soon promoted to bill and order clerk, which position he held until he engaged in his present business, April 1, 1905.
Mr. Kuhns purchased the bakery establishment at 228 Pittsburg street, Scottdale, Pennsylvania, March 31, 1905, and one day later took possession, succeeding Mrs. C. M. Frey. This business was established in 1885 by George P. Frey, who conducted it until his death, about 1899, when his wife took possession and carried on the business until her death in 1905. It is the intention of Mr. Kuhns to conduct the business along the same lines which were formerly followed. Besides a general bakery and catering business, he also has an ice-cream parlor, which is one of the leading features of the establishment. A commodious and attractive room in the rear of the apartment is devoted to this purpose, and in the winter seasons is used as an oyster and lunch room, being the only one of its kind in the borough. Mr. Kuhns manufactures his own cream, doing a wholesale as well as a retail business, his trade covering a large territory. When the Spanish-American war broke out, Mr. Kuhns enlisted, April 1898. in Company E, Tenth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. He served in the Philippines, and saw much active service, visiting the towns of Manila, Caviti, Malalos, Malabaao and many others of prominence. Fraternally Mr. Kuhns is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. October 12, 1901, he was united in marriage to Elizabeth Becker, daughter of Peter J. and Elizabeth Becker, who are natives of Scottdale. They have two children: Lillian and Florence. Mr. Kuhns and his family have their residence on Pittsburg street, near his place of business.
Source: Page(s) 221, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed August 2008 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project