FREDERICK L. KECK, the genial and popular proprietor of the Hotel Albion, at Ruffsdale, Pennsylvania, is a son of Christian Keck, who emigrated from Germany about 1865 and settled at New Stanton, Pennsylvania, where he followed the boiling of salt for a livelihood for a period of almost five years. He then located in the town of Morgan, remaining for about seven years, during which time he was engaged at general work. Later he moved to Scottdale where he engaged in the mercantile business for three years, after which he changed his place of residence to Everson, Fayette county, where for a period of about eight years he engaged in mercantile pursuits and the management of a hotel, both of which enterprises proved financially successful. He married, October 16, 1866, Anna Hunker, daughter of John G. and Ossilla (Hough) Hunker, and their children were: Aima N., unmarried, resides at home; Martin Christian; Frederick L., of whom later.
Frederick L. Keck was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania. January 8. 1878. His preliminary education was obtained in the public schools adjacent to his home, and later he pursued advanced studies at the Greensburg Seminary. Upon attaining the age of twenty-one he engaged in the hotel business in Ruffsdale, Westmoreland county, and for three years successfully managed the old Ruffsdale Hotel which was largely patronized. In 1902 he built the hotel which he now occupies, known as the Albion, which has accommodations for sixty guests. is equipped with all modern improvements which adds to the comforts and pleasure of his guests is noted for its excellent cuisine, and in all respects ranks among the leading hotels in the county and well merits the patronage of the traveling public. Mr. Keck is courteous and attentive to the regular patrons and to the transient guests of the house alike, and is well accepted to the line of business he has chosen or his life work.
Source: Page(s) 174, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed May 2007 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project