EDWIN JONES, son of John and Mary (Lane) Jones, was born March 8, 1849, in Wales, one of six children, four of whom survive: John McKeesport: Elizabeth, wife of William Lape, Courtney, Allegheny county; Henry J., Westmoreland county; Edwin, of whom later. The father and mother were both born in Wales and emigrated to America in 1852, locating at McKeesport, Pennsylvania. John Jones was a butcher by trade, but worked in the coal mines for some time after coming to this country. Later he engaged in the butcher business, and for many years was identified with that line of work in McKeesport. He also opened and conducted a hotel there for many years. After his retirement he removed to Scott Haven, where his death occurred in 1902. His wife died in 1899. In politics he was identified with the Republican party, but was never an office seeker.
Edwin Jones attended the common schools, but at the early age of sixteen years left home and began to shift for himself, going to Irwin Station and finding employment in the coal mines as a mule driver. Later he went to Painter Town, where he worked as a coal digger, then went from there to Noblestown, Allegheny- county, where he contracted to haul coal by the hundred weight. While there he married Ellen Doming. of Pittsburg. About 1869 he returned to McKeesport and worked in the mines for a short time, then located at Moore's Station, now known as Scott Haven, where he was employed in the mines for a number of years. About 1888 he engaged in the butcher business, which he conducted for three years, then sold out and settled in Suterville. He opened a butcher shop and has conducted it since in a very successful manner. Mr. Jones is a director and stockholder in the First National Bank of Suterville, and is one of the leading business men and best-known figures of the borough. He is a member of Grace Lodge, No. 405, K. of P., of Markleton, Westmoreland county.
Source: Page(s) 251-252, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed August 2008 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project