CHARLES H. JAQUETTE, son of Anthony and Mary Ann (Shaw) Jaquette, was born October 25, 1871, at Allegheny City, Pennsylvania. The father, a native of Oswego, New York, died May 10, 1901, the seventieth anniversary of his birth. The mother is still living, residing with her son, Charles H. Jaquette, and is a native of Connellsville, Pennsylvania.
The grandfather of Charles H. Jaquette, Peter A. Jaquette, was a native of northern France, and son of a French duke. He married a native of southern France, and they emigrated to America and settled in New York state. Their son, Anthony Jaquette, the father of Charles H. Jaquette, was reared in New York state, but settled in Pennsylvania when a young man and married a resident of Connellsville, Mary A. Shaw. He was in the oil business, a producer in Green county, Pennsylvania, for many years, but later in life he was engaged in the tailoring business in Pittsburg and Allegheny. He accompanied Francis Murphy on his lecture tour, taking the platform as a lecturer during about three years, a strong advocate of temperance. He lived in various towns about the country for longer or shorter periods, including Scottdale, 1875-79; Mount Pleasant, 1879-82; Scottdale, 1882-83; Abilene, Texas, 1883-87; thence to Plyattsmouth, Nebraska; 1892, Kansas City; then returned to Scottdale, 1897, where he lived the remainder of his life. He was a man who figured prominently in political affairs, and was the candidate for the legislature on the Independent ticket in 1882 and came within twenty votes of being elected. He was also closely identified with the labor troubles, having represented the state of Pennsylvania as arbitrator in the Lorillard labor strike, the J. P. Clark-Throd strike and others. He was a public speaker of more than ordinary ability, taking the "stump" in various campaigns, usually allied with the Republican party. He was largely instrumental in turning Westmoreland county from a Democratic stronghold to a Republican fortress. He enlisted as a private at the beginning of the Civil war in the Seventh Volunteer Infantry, West Virginia, Company E, but was mustered out on account of sickness after two years service, as second lieutenant, each step won by bravery. He was tendered a captaincy on several occasions but refused to accept the commission. After recuperating from his illness he raised a company at Morgantown, Pennsylvania, and took it to the field, then joined his old company again. He. served through both battles of Antietam as well as in many of the other principal battles of the Army of the Potomac. He was a member of the Baptist church, of Free and Accepted Masons and Grand Army of the Republic. He had a family of ten children: 1. Mary Eva, died young. 2. Hannah Al., died young. 3. John W., a resident of Butte, Montana. 4. Minnie R.. deceased wife of H. C. Deitterich. 5. Alice, wife of George B. Mellinger, of Scottdale. 6. William A., who went to the Philippines with Company K, Fifth Regulars. and served three years. He enlisted first with the Rough Riders, in Buckv O'Neal's regiment from Phoenix, Arizona, and was transferred to Company A. first territorial Big Four, United States Volunteer Infantry, as corporal at the Georgia camp. He was then mustered out of volunteer service and joined the company, as a private, going to the Philippines. and was mustered out as sergeant major. He returned to America but almost immediately re-enlisted, with the Twenty-seventh Regulars. Being an exceptionally fine penman, he was called into service at headquarters, but refused to leave the boys. 7. Lucinda, wife of G. B. Hitchman, of Mount Pleasant. 8. Benjamin F.. contracting painter, and proprietor of a tourists' house, Los Angeles, California. 9. Charles H., of whom later. io. Sarah Elizabeth, wife of C. V. Leonard, of Kansas City, Missouri.
Charles H. Jaquette was educated in the public schools of Mount Pleasant and Scottdale. In 1883, when a boy of only twelve years, he began to learn the jeweler's art, meanwhile keeping up his studies at night. He was first employed at Abilene, Texas, where he spent four years, then went to Kansas City and spent five years more, fitting himself for his chosen work. He then went to Plattsmouth, Nebraska, to fill a position as watch inspector for the B. and M., a branch of the C. B. and O. R. R. This position he filled from 1887 to 18gi, at the same time carrying on a private business, handling a general stock of jewelry goods. In 1891 he sold out and went to Kansas City and found employment at his trade, at the same time taking a course at the Kansas City School of Optics, whence he graduated. For three years of this time he was head watchmaker for the Edwards and Sloan Manufacturing Company, and for one year was manager of the Emory Bird Thayer Company of the same city. He then engaged in business on his own account, meanwhile studying at the South Bend (Indiana) College of Optics. In January, 1897, he located at Scottdale. and in September of the same year opened a fine jewelry establishment, fitting it up in the most modern and elaborate manner. This business he conducted until 1903, when he sold out to the J. S. Parker Company, with whom he was employed for a little more than a year. In April, 1905, he purchased the stock and business of J. A. Bobbs, where he is fitting up a most admirable establishment, and will make a specialty of optics, etc. He is a business man of the highest ability and stands high in the estimation of his fellow-townsmen, his position being wholly the result of his own unaided efforts. He is a member of S. of V., Camp 125, and is captain of the military department of this society; member of Americus, Royal Arcanum and of the American Insurance Union. Mr. Jaquette married, May 22, 1891, Bertha May Rounds, daughter of Reuben and Francis Rounds. She is a native of Toulon, Stark county, Illinois, born August 6, 1872. They have four children: Mary Helen, Harry Anthony, George William and Charles Glenn. They are active members of the Baptist church.
Source: Page(s) 202-203, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed August 2008 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project