JAMES C. HENRY. One of the most capable and enterprising business men of Westmoreland county, and a man prominently identified with all community affairs is James C. Henry. He was born in Derry township, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, February 25. 1858, son of Conrad J. and Catherine (Gary) Henry, and grandson of Conrad Henry. His grandfather removed to Westmoreland county, when his son Conrad was but a small boy. He located in Unity township, near Youngstown, where he built and operated still house for a number of years. He subsequently sold this property and all purchased a farm in Derry township, where he resided up to the time of his death. Prior to the advent of the railroads, Mr. Henry was one of the best known teamsters operating from Baltimore and Pittsburgh, owning and running 11, some three or four six-horse teams.
Conrad Henry, Jr., father of James C. Henry, was reared at home, and in his young manhood drove one of his father's teams, and had charge of the teams while on the road. With the coming of the railroads, however, and the consequent abandoning of teams as a means of transportation, young Mr. Henry was out of employment, so having a strong liking for farming he purchased a farm in Derry township, Westmoreland county , which he operated and on which he resided until his death. In politics Mr. Henry was a staunch Democrat. He married Catherine Gary, and five children were born to them, three of whom survive: James C., of whom later; Edward S., in the employ of James C.; and Joseph L., manager of the oil fields of Beaumont, Texas, for James M. Guffey of Pittsburgh. After the death of his wife Mr. Henry married Anna A. Downey of Cresson, Cambria county, Pennsylvania. She was a model mother and the idol of her stepchildren. Five children were born, as follows: Mary A.; Emma, wife of James E. Brennon, Latrobe; Charles J., Greensburg; Frank X., Greensburg; and Harry V., in the office of the superintendent of the Southern Pacific Railway, California. Mr. Henry died when he was fifty-four years of age, and his wife sold the farm and removed to Greensburg, where she now resides at her home on West Otterman street.
James C. Henry, son of Conrad Henry, Jr., was reared at home, and was educated in St. Vincent's Monastery in Westmoreland county. At the age of sixteen he removed to Maryland, where he was engaged in managing a farm for Charles McFadden. Mr. Henry continued in the management of this large plantation of three hundred and sixty acres for three years. After this time he returned to Westmoreland county, where he superintended the farm of Mrs. George Braden in Derry township for four years, then removing to Greensburg where he was engaged for four years in overseeing the farm of the Sisters of Charity at Seaton Hill. He then formed a copartnership with Frank Peirley, and under the firm name of Peirley & Henry conducted a general drayage business, which proved quite successful. Three years later he sold his interest to his partner and entered into the plumbing business with John Walker, which he continued for two years. In November 1892, Mr. Henry became one of the organizers and was made president of the Greensburg Coal & Ice Company, Limited. In 1901 the name of the company was changed to the Westmoreland Ice Company, of which Mr. Henry was president, manager and one of the directors, all of which offices he still holds. In 1903 he organized the Henry & Sheffler Machine Company, handling a full line of boilers, engines and pumps and is treasurer of this company. Mr. Henry may well count his career in the business world one of success and credit. His industry, perseverance, and energy, also the straightforward, upright manner in which all his business dealings have been conducted have won a high place for him in the world of business and made him one of the best known merchants in Westmoreland county. As a citizen he holds the esteem and respect of his fellow townsmen and his affable and genial disposition have won for him many friends. Politically Mr. Henry is a staunch Democrat, and in religious matters he is a devout member of the Roman Catholic church, He is a member and trustee of Americus Lodge, and a member of the Grand Fraternity.
Source: Page(s) 123 - 124, History of Westmoreland County, Volume 2, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed June 2001 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project