GEORGE D. HAMOR. On the paternal side George D. Hamor, of New Kensington, is descended from ancestors who settled several generations back in the eastern part of Pennsylvania, while through his mother he comes of German and Irish lineage.
Allen Nathaniel Hamor was born in 1820, in Blair county, and was a merchant at Freeport, Pennsylvania. During the Civil war he served in the Union army. He was a Republican and a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Hamor married Jane N. Sniger, born in 1818, near Saltsburg, Westmoreland county, and like her husband was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
George D. Hamor, son of Allen Nathaniel and Jane N. (Sniger) Hamor, was born January 21, 1855, at Freeport, Armstrong county, where he received his preparatory education in the common schools, afterward attending Mount Union College, Ohio. June 8, 1876, he was admitted to the bar at Butler, Pennsylvania. In 1888, at the time of the great fire in Du Bois, he was a resident of that place and held the office of burgess. He affiliates with Lodge No. 512, B. P. O. E., the Heptasophs and Maccabees, all of New Kensington. Politically he is a Republican, but has never taken a very active part in public affairs. Mr. Hamor married. May 4, 1883, Maggie J., daughter of Dr. William A. Means, a prominent physician of DuBois, and they have two children: Edna, born May 3, 1884, wife of S. M. Lee, attorney at law of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania; and William Allen, aged eighteen, student in Western University, Pittsburg.
Source: Page(s) 179, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed May 2007 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project