CLARENCE W. GREER. One of the old families of Penn township is that represented by Clarence W. Greer, of Monessen. He is a son of Joseph Collins and Jennie E. Greer, and was born November 24, 1875, in Lumber City, Clearfield county, Pennsylvania.
He received his education in the schools of Johnstown. His first employment was with the B. White Coal Mining Company at Anita. Pennsylvania, whom he served as bookkeeper and manager of the company's store, positions which he retained for six years. He then went to Nansen, Elk county, where he became one of a firm conducting a general store of which he had the management for a year or more. At the end of that time he sold out his interest, went to Monessen and formed a partnership with his two brothers. W. S. and J. C. Greer, under the firm name of Greer Brothers. In April, 1903, they purchased the general merchandise business which had been established in 1899 by Shuster Brothers. They carry the heaviest stock in this line in Monessen, occupying two rooms and employing a small army of clerks. They make the grocery department the main feature of the establishment, and are doing a large and increasing business. Their store is situated on Schoonmaker avenue. The active member of the firm is Mr. Greer, he having charge of the conduct of the entire business. Mr. Greer married, May 12, 1896, Mary, daughter of J. L. McKeever, of Irwin, and they have three children: Lois E., J. Collins, and Janice M. Mr. Greer and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church.
Source: Page(s) 242, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed August 2008 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project