JOHN FRANKLIN GOODLIN, a grocer, doing a prosperous retail trade at Nos. 213 and 215 West Newton Avenue, Greensburg, Pennsylvania, was born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, September 29, 1870.
(I) His great-grandfather was James Goodlin, who married (first) Catharine Snyder. They located in Greensburg and conducted a hotel which stood where now stands the "Fisher House." Among the children born by their marriage was Henry A. Goodlin, the grandfather of John F. Goodlin. By James Goodlin's second marriage there was born to him among other children a son who was killed in the civil war.
(II) Henry A. Goodlin, son of pioneer James Goodlin and his wife Catharine was born February 13, 1824 near Harrold's church, where he still resides, aged eighty-two years. He married Hannah Baker, daughter of George and Eve Baker. At an early day George Baker was a cabinet maker and furnished all the coffins for the county home. Hannah (Baker) Goodlin died in 1863. Henry A. Goodin married (second) Mary Harrold, daughter of George Harrold and wife. The children by the former marriage were: William George Washington, born February 22, 1851; Frank P., born 1852; Amanda wife of Abraham Altman; Mary A wife of Henry Wentzel; John H and one daughter who died in infancy. By the second marriage Henry A Goodlin was the father of Elmer A, George H., Emma, wife of Arthur Keener.
(III) William G. W. Goodlin, father of John F. Goodlin received a good common school education in Hempfield township, and farmed with his father until 1886, when he was appointed tip-staff in the Westmoreland district court, which place he still holds, making a continued service of twenty years. During 1896 he removed to Greensburg and in the spring of 1905 to his present home at No. 219 West Third Street. He is a Democrat and a member of the First Reformed church. He married, March 24, 1870, Sevila T., daughter of Philip and Margaret (Miller) Wentzel, of Millersdale, Pennsylvania. Their children were: John F., born September 29. 1870, of whom later: James H. born Aprils, 1812; Sarah A., born May 12, 1874, married Frank O. Boggs: Oliver P., born May 20, 18i6; Margaret Jane, born August 18, 1878, married W. H. Sawash; William H., born June 9, 1880; Mary L., born October 20. 1882: Lilly A., born December 9, 1884, wife of Harry Schaff: Laura Pearl, born March 25, 1888; Lucian W. Doty, born February 15, 1890, died December 9, 1902. The living children all reside in Greensburg except Mrs. Boggs who resides in Jeannette a suburb town.
(IV). John Franklin Goodlin, after receiving a good education, taught for several years in the schools of Westmoreland county and then clerked for W. F. Scheibler in his general store on "Bunker Hill'" for three Years. Subsequently he engaged in trade with his father-in-law and brother-in-law H. R. and J. G. Myers, at Jeannette. He sold out there and embarked in the grocery trade in Greensburg with his brother, James H., and now operates at Nos. 213 and 215 West Newton avenue. Mr. Goodlin married when about twenty-one years of age, Sarah Henry of Middletown. They have two children: Clark Oliver, born May 1. 1894: and Olive Margaret, born December 29. 1896. Mr. Goodlin is a Republican in his political views, believing that party but serves the interests of the masses of American citizens. Both he and his wife are members of the First Reformed church. He is a member of Golden Eagle Lodge and the Protected Home Circle.
Source: Page(s) 81-82, History of Westmoreland County, Volume II, Pennsylvania by John N Boucher. New York, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1906.
Transcribed February 2006 by Nathan Zipfel for the Westmoreland County History Project
Contributed for use by the Westmoreland County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/westmoreland/)
Westmoreland County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Westmoreland County Home Page
(c) Westmoreland County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project